Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

I could be WAY OFF on this one... but I got the sense that when Solo is telling Rey and Finn about the Jedi and the Sith he is actually passing the torch to the next generation. That as a skeptic he was unprepared and is now if fact preparing them for what's coming.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not a fan of the lightsaber in space opening sequence but it's a rumor that refuses to go away. No real alternative has come up over all this time.

We all know it HAS to start with the cleaning crew on Bespin! Where it goes from there I have no idea. Maybe it was hidden in the ice cream machine. That guy did seem a bit too anxious to leave. ;)

Can anyone explain to me why Finn is fighting Jon Snow?

Just kidding.

I have to say the bulk of the "rumors" about the plot and story have refined themselves overtime and seem fairly accurate. And they are supported entirely not only by the glimpses we have had in the trailers but by a lot of circumstantial information. We know that Luke appears to have disappeared, we know Leia and Han have become estranged etc etc etc. The evidence just seems to build with each reveal. The "rumour" of Hans demise was deliberately leaked ages ago to gage reaction, its a huge risk to have taken but its critical to the story. Why else show Rey weeping if not to support that? It tells the real fans its a very distinct possibility but tells the casual cinema goers nothing.It would be a strange double bluff to pull to include it if it were not. Why do it otherwise? That single glimpse would mean nothing otherwise.

So based on what we saw in this trailer, is the rumour that Rey and Kylo both trained under like at the jedi acadamy as supposedly written in the novelization now BS?

It's worth pointing out that the first film in each trilogy has main, older, character die in the third act to send the younger characters on their Hero's Journey. Ben, Qui-gon, now Han.

- - - Updated - - -

So based on what we saw in this trailer, is the rumour that Rey and Kylo both trained under like at the jedi acadamy as supposedly written in the novelization now BS?

Han's dialogue does seem to contradict the idea that Kylo and Rey trained together at a Jedi Academy but there still is the Force vision destruction of the temple. So we're they there or not remains unclear.

Regarding the "pirate fortress"... The mythosaur skull top center is only one that's been identified. Next to it is the "wheat sheaf" of the Fett crest. There are also the banners from Anankin's, Sebulba's, and two other podracers' teams; one that has Hondo Ohniaka's pirate crest from Clone Wars; one that looks like the Death Watch sigil; one that has unreadable Mandalorian glyphs on it; one has the "World Devourer" symbol Ziro the Hutt had tattooed on his neck (that many mistake for the Black Sun logo)... If Maz is a collector, that all makes sense. And I was not the only one to make the mental connection to what Rex said in one of the Rebels teasers -- about some bases even the Mandos don't remember...

--Jonah

The one thing I refuse to believe is that Rey and Kylo are apprentices of Luke. That part still does not make sense in my mind. I'd say Kylo may have been, but I suspect neither were. Why would Han explain the dark side and light side to Rey and Finn if Rey was some Jedi apprentice at one point?

The one thing I refuse to believe is that Rey and Kylo are apprentices of Luke. That part still does not make sense in my mind. I'd say Kylo may have been, but I suspect neither were. Why would Han explain the dark side and light side to Rey and Finn if Rey was some Jedi apprentice at one point?

Possible but I do think Kylo is Han's son and has trained with his Uncle Luke. But something went wrong.

Possible but I do think Kylo is Han's son and has trained with his Uncle Luke. But something went wrong.

That is the only way I see it working out. Kylo trained with Luke, Kylo might have a bit of a temper. He grows to hate Luke for killing Vader- feels like he betrayed Vader, etc and decides to carry out Vader's wishes.

But I get zero feeling that Rey has ever trained under Luke.

Seeing that Rey is obviously such an essential character (even though she says shes nobody) got me thinking about her. I felt I had seen her before. Everyone says she is obviously a Skywalker, which I believe to be true, but how exactly? Then it finally struck me ,she does look an awful lot like Shmi, Anakins mother.
Very little is known about Shmi other than she was a slave on Tatooine. It doesn't say if she had living relatives, like brothers or sisters ,or how she became enslaved,or from which planet she was abducted, but it wouldn't need to be a big stretch of the imagination that Rey comes from another side of the Skywalker family, and that all the characteristics required to make her a Jedi took a generation beyond Luke to mature so that ,when given the right push, "The Force Awakens" in her.
The fact that she appears totally ignorant about the Jedi / Force seem to indicate she has no formal training. Kylo seems driven to hunt Luke down possibly because Luke destroys most of the other Rens in the flashback after the slaughter at the academy. The lack of them at the First Order base shot hints at this. Did Luke spare him because he couldn't bring himself to kill his own sisters estranged son and thus fled into exile?
I like that so many possibilities exist at the moment. I believe the majority of the story outlines are accurate but the real detail is surprisingly still fairly well hidden. We still know very little about Phasma, Snoke, Rey, Finn, Poes mission, Mas, how Lukes lightsaber features ,but the star map that is supposed to show his location is there in the trailer. But you'll have needed to follow this thread to have known that.
Really in comparisson to all the terrible doom mongering that has gone on the reality is we have a film that has , at this moment in time, managed to have brought the series right back to where nearly all of us have so desparately wanted it to be for decades.
And I cannot tell you how much that really means to me.

Now one question worth asking:if Han and Leia had kids,maybe together or not,and Han does make the ultimate sacrifice then just how do you think they're gonna react? I doubt they're just gonna sit back and do nothing if they're anything like mom or dad there's gonna be some serious hell to pay,and if they are force adept,maybe that's a way Rey and the kids get training from Uncle Luke and go take some names and do some butt kicking.

And there is the question of just what made Luke go into hiding? just what happened? did something happen to make him say "ah,hell naw" at restarting the Jedi? or did one of his students go rouge? or did he decide the whole reason all this happened is because of the Jedi order and the galaxy was better off without them?

Anyway you slice it there's going to be a hell of a story in all this.

*ETA*

I still don't think Kylo has anything to do with Luke,Han,or Leia I just get the feeling he's somebody/something to do with the Empire dabbing with the sith in ways unknown to the SW universe to this date.

I said it'd be odd if he was a Vader clone,or Palpy,or hell some ancient sith lord from the old republic.

Han's dialogue does seem to contradict the idea that Kylo and Rey trained together at a Jedi Academy but there still is the Force vision destruction of the temple. So we're they there or not remains unclear.

Not necessarily. Rey's only line on the subject is "There were stories about what happened." That doesn't imply that she doesn't know what Jedi are or that she never met Luke. In the context of Han's reply it only suggests that she doesn't know what went down between the Jedi and the dark side at some unspecified point in time. (And that's also assuming the conversation in question wasn't cobbled together for the trailer out of lines from different parts of the movie. That sort of thing happens all the time.)

that reverse POV shot of the falcon in hyperspace made me cheer out loud

That's LUDICROUS speed. We've always seen cockpit view and departure/arrival shots, so the while traveling reverse pov is original.
That soundtrack for the trailer is perfect. Williams stepping up his game.
For the sake of a compelling powerful start for the new trilogy, somebody important should kick the bucket. If it's Han patricide by son Kylo, so be it. That act would match his grandfather Anakin's turn to dark side. Han death could dovetail to even Lando returning. It's not Finn. Finn, Rey and Poe are your new trilogy trio.
Agree that Rey has some Young Anakin traits.
Is the Mando flag that amazing? Thought Maz hideout was like a safe neutral place for all outlaw groups?
Luke appearing at end would lead to next movie. Reshoots were probably added because his original scenes were just too abrupt.

Just wanting more info on the Knights and First Order Supreme Leader.
There was a pic of Serkis on throne.
Any other info out there on these two topics?

Apologies if this has already been alluded to, but Kylo isn't wearing his helmet during the fight with Fin on the snowy forest. Maybe he wears it to intimidate rather than functional like Vader?! Also makes more sense of the production shots of Adam Driver in full Kylo Ren attire without helmet at (presumably) starkiller base. Does he lose it? Is it destroyed in another fight?!

Apologies if this has already been alluded to, but Kylo isn't wearing his helmet during the fight with Fin on the snowy forest. Maybe he wears it to intimidate rather than functional like Vader?! Also makes more sense of the production shots of Adam Driver in full Kylo Ren attire without helmet at (presumably) starkiller base. Does he lose it? Is it destroyed in another fight?!

i have never heard that Kylo is dependent on the helmet for life support.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back