Star Wars : "Obi Wan Communicator" from Ep III - Revenge of the Sith

Couple of modifications after the great remarks from AnubisGuard :
  • Looks like the real prop antenna parts are the same piece flipped over for the other side, rather than mirrored. Notice how the grooved ends are on the bottom on the left but on the top on the right.
You're right, corrected :
correc1.JPG

• The side "buttons" near the top of the prop (the blade release buttons on the razor) are a smooth curve on the real thing; on the CG model you've got flat sides and an angled bend near the top instead
Corrected :

CORREC2.JPG

• The little tri-wing shapes on the face above the grille have too-skinny "wings" on the replica. They look less like radiation warning symbols on the original, and it looks like the upper surfaces are a little bit domed as opposed to flat.
Corrected :
correc3.JPG

• The two gold antenna tips you have as little angled cones are actually the tips of aviation matrix pins. Here's a pic of a set I bought off ebay:
Can you tell me more about the diameter of those pins ? I could let holes for you to insert yours. (It looks more and more like a "custom order" isn't it ? :D )
  • Finally, the sample tray is too short by about 50%. The circuit board is too short, and the body is not just a half-circle but is more like a half circle attached to a short rectangle.
Corrected :
correct4.JPG

I think I'm verry close to the orginal(s).... Thanks to your remarks !;)

Couple of modifications after the great remarks from AnubisGuard :
  • Looks like the real prop antenna parts are the same piece flipped over for the other side, rather than mirrored. Notice how the grooved ends are on the bottom on the left but on the top on the right.
You're right, corrected :
View attachment 1370533

I too believe that it is the same part flipped. I think it is four of the same part as this guy believed...

so if that is the case, the four inner cylinders should match. Right now, you have them as...

A6AF9478-AAD6-4045-9B37-63BC70742C35.jpeg

I too believe that it is the same part flipped. I think it is four of the same part as this guy believed...

so if that is the case, the four inner cylinders should match. Right now, you have them as...

View attachment 1370562

You're right – you can see that they're the same size in the sample tray pic I posted earlier. Good catch.

Good catch indeed ! :)
I'll look into it !

This guy charge 5$ for a single part ? ... wow...

Someone interested by my previous prototype resin kit (before corrections) ? Ready to paint ! (make offers by MP ! :))
IMG_20201122_181224.jpg

Last edited:
  • The little tri-wing shapes on the face above the grille have too-skinny "wings" on the replica. They look less like radiation warning symbols on the original, and it looks like the upper surfaces are a little bit domed as opposed to flat.
Corrected :
correc3-jpg.jpg
Just a little nostalgia, when we were building these back in 1999, we used craft tri-beads sanded down on each side and filled in the hole.

Plastic_Tri.jpg

This guy charge 5$ for a single part ? ... wow...

Well it probably isn’t so much him as it is shapeways pricing.

Yup. They instituted a $5 minimum charge per part a couple years ago, so when he put those up they would have been a lot less expensive. I considered contacting him to ask if he could consolidate them all into a one-part file, but he hasn't been active here since 2014.

Additional feedback time!

In the old research, people also concluded that these two bits are the same part. You may want to double check their relative size and proportion to make sure they match:

1606065706296.png

Also, one last inaccuracy I noticed is one I assume was done for printability. On the real prop the soldering lugs on the grill rest on top of the wavy lines, but on yours they of course extend all the way down the depth of the grille.

1606065943792.png

I assume that can't be changed without affecting the stability, but I did have an idea: would it be workable to inset the sides of the lugs a little bit, basically giving them a bit of overhang at the top? Like so:

1606066270954.png

(Just an idea; I don't have and have never owned a resin printer, so I don't know the design requirements.)

Last edited:
  • The two gold antenna tips you have as little angled cones are actually the tips of aviation matrix pins. Here's a pic of a set I bought off ebay:
Can you tell me more about the diameter of those pins ?
The silver portion of the matrix pin (that is inserted into the comlink body) is 1.95 mm in diameter and 11.5 mm long. Next is the wider gold band that is 2.56 mm in diameter and 0.79 mm long. Lastly is the striped gold portion that is also 1.95 mm in diameter and 4.25 mm long. There is a tiny little 0.75 mm diamater hole in one side of the striped gold portion just up from the wider gold band. The whole thing is hollow with a wall thickness of about 0.4 mm.

I've actually been dabbling with the idea of drawing up some designs for the various flat greeblies on this thing and having them laser cut out of aluminum. If there's some interest I could certainly get some extras and list them in the Junkyard for folks!

and the piece on the back with a hole and two points, and two tabs is also an aircraft part. I just stashed some in the pre-ex bin at work on Friday. Not sure that was the same size but definitely what type it was.

Looks like an aircraft locking tab washer.

That's not the exact one, but they appear to come in a bunch of different styles.

Looks like an aircraft locking tab washer.

That's not the exact one, but they appear to come in a bunch of different styles.
Exactly, there are a ton of variation. I also should clarify that they are used on aircraft but not exclusively. They are used anywhere you have extreme heat conditions or heavy vibrations.

View attachment 1370576

I assume that can't be changed without affecting the stability, but I did have an idea: would it be workable to inset the sides of the lugs a little bit, basically giving them a bit of overhang at the top? Like so:
Regarding this :
They should have used a resin cast from the original in the "Phantom menace" because this can't be seen :
728540.jpg

I can do both. One with and one without if you want to add your own aluminium ones...

The flip issue is also resolved (and life-size pins added) :
modif6.JPG

I would love it as smooth as possible so I am happy to pay a little extra for the good stuff. Resin can look flawless or like crap and everything in between.

I hunted down the real razor many years ago and was sad to see the soft rubber grip meaning the screen used one had to be resin.

Anyway can't wait for this?

Awesome! I was just thinking last night about something I wanted to post in this thread, but I've completely forgotten what it was.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back