Star Wars : "Obi Wan Communicator" from Ep III - Revenge of the Sith

Buissonland

Hi there,
I was looking for a small prop to test my brand new SLA printer.
So I went for this Communicator from Ep III - Revenge of the Sith.
I Found some reference on Propstore.com and those pictures :
real prop.jpg

I know it's made from a ladies shaver (Gilette) :
awAdADr_700b.jpg

But I started from scratch in my CAD to get there :
il_1140xN.2702564591_69fx.jpg

My very first print on my SLA... a Failure :
IMG_20201114_195353.jpg

The second was good enough to try the post processing on resin (a first for me)
IMG_20201116_135639.jpg

It was so easy (goodbye sanding !!!) , I even forgot to take pictures, so here it is, finished :

montage real pro.jpg

This was the story of my replica of the Obi Wan Communicator from Ep III - Revenge of the Sith :)

You can find the STL on Etsy if you want to do your very own :
Obi-Wan Communicator in Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of | Etsy

Last edited:
That's come out really well! Love it.

I can't recall, but was the original prop the actual shaver painted and with greeblies attached, or was it also a resin cast?

That's come out really well! Love it.

I can't recall, but was the original prop the actual shaver painted and with greeblies attached, or was it also a resin cast?

Probably a resin cast. The rubbery grip ridges don't take paint (on the front) or filler (on the back, where it's smoothed over) terribly well, as I discovered when I tried to convert one ~20 years ago.

Looking over the renders again and compared to the other pics and my recollection of the razor handle I had ~20 years ago, I'm pretty sure the body is a little too thin, front to back. It could stand to be 1 or 2mm thicker. Otherwise, it looks spot on.

Thanks guys for your support.
On Propstore, where the real one is actually in auction, they give :
Item size - 3.94" x 1.77" x 1.18" (10cm x 4.5cm x 3cm)

But I guess you'r right, it could have been a little thicker. There is place for improvment ! ;)

But I guess you'r right, it could have been a little thicker. There is place for improvment ! ;)

I ordered a resin cast of a real razor handle off of ebay today, so I can check the measurements for you if you like once it gets in.

I just measured my original found part razor and the main body of the handle is 11 mm thick. Hope that helps!

I modified my model with the new pictures and informations you kindly gave me.
Et voilà :
Capture V2.JPG

I think the thickness is really close to the orginal. And I added the Sampler & the slot.
The print is on it's way.
New pictures to come !

Very nice! The thickness looks spot on. There really aren't any good replicas of this prop to be found anywhere and I'm really excited by what you're doing here.

On that front, a couple other things I just noticed:

• Looks like the real prop antenna parts are the same piece flipped over for the other side, rather than mirrored. Notice how the grooved ends are on the bottom on the left but on the top on the right.
  • The side "buttons" near the top of the prop (the blade release buttons on the razor) are a smooth curve on the real thing; on the CG model you've got flat sides and an angled bend near the top instead
  • The little tri-wing shapes on the face above the grille have too-skinny "wings" on the replica. They look less like radiation warning symbols on the original, and it looks like the upper surfaces are a little bit domed as opposed to flat.
  • The two gold antenna tips you have as little angled cones are actually the tips of aviation matrix pins. Here's a pic of a set I bought off ebay:
  • 1605998919234.png
  • Finally, the sample tray is too short by about 50%. The circuit board is too short, and the body is not just a half-circle but is more like a half circle attached to a short rectangle.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back