Star Wars Andor (Disney+ TV series)

Well that all sounds great, but that actress's comments I posted, now removed, I hope were just HER take on things projecting her own personal views on it. I don't see how his story can be anything but grounded, complex, yadda yadda. I don't expect this to be for kids.

I saw some comments from some people who got early looks, I assume for reviews, at all or the first four parts of the series. One guy said it's a more serious take than the movies usually portray and that he thinks fans are going to hate it. I think it sounds like we have some grown ups in charge of this instead of kids who look like adults. The latest SW (Sequels, Boba Fett, Kenobi), I can only assume, were written for people who only read books with pictures. We also have the problem of younger fans, in general, some of who don't like the OT and say it's boring, just wanting a lot of flash and no substance, like jingling keys in front of a baby. The latter has no problem dismissing complaints about story and canon because they don't care as long as there's a lot of movement and flashing colors.

The AK-47 blaster that one guy has bugs me so much, especially because I'm such a props/costumes focused kind of person when it comes to SW. It wouldn't be such a problem if they dolled it up more, but it's just a stockless AK-47 painted black. There's a few greebles stuck on there, but not enough to hide that iconic mag, handgaurd, and barrel.

Looking it over, if they wanted to hide it better, they should have cut down the magazine, modified the barrel, and replaced the handgaurds with ones more modern looking.
View attachment 1603622
I don't think they were trying to hide the fact that this is an AK-74 or that this is just lazy prop making.
If it was a stormtrooper or anyone with a distinctive "star wars universe" costume that was carrying it - then yes.
But this guy is made to look like this on purpose - from the clothes to the AK - he looks exactly like someone living in our world in one of the poor countries torn by conflicts. Where carrying the rifle is just part of the daily routine:
1659863029638.png

By the way there were AK-74s already in the teaser where some similarly looking guys were trying to hide them:
1659863438457.png

Again I think the real world reference is too obvious to think this is just lazy prop making:
1659863712018.png

Finding that balance between escapism and realism is the key. The more outlandish the premise the more grounded the characters ought to be. To its credit this does appear to look grounded in tone.

I don't think they were trying to hide the fact that this is an AK-74 or that this is just lazy prop making.
If it was a stormtrooper or anyone with a distinctive "star wars universe" costume that was carrying it - then yes.
But this guy is made to look like this on purpose - from the clothes to the AK - he looks exactly like someone living in our world in one of the poor countries torn by conflicts. Where carrying the rifle is just part of the daily routine:
View attachment 1605379

By the way there were AK-74s already in the teaser where some similarly looking guys were trying to hide them:
View attachment 1605380
Again I think the real world reference is too obvious to think this is just lazy prop making:
View attachment 1605381
Granted it's 40+ years later, but they didn't exactly hid the fact the OT used Sterlings all over the place either. And they were used in many other shows and movies at the time as well.

Santa's in Ireland with an AK-47! And that kid looks like he's about to kick a soccerball or go for a jog in that hoodie. The logo looks like it could be some sort of athletic wear.

Last edited:
The cynical side of me says that I really am only into Disney Star Wars for the props and overall creative design elements…I really am beyond investing too much in the characters and stories being told.

I guess I really come to the party to see the production talents on display…if the story and characters are entertaining, that’s just icing on the cake for me.

Aside from the AK-47 blaster rifle, Andor displays some top-notch production talent, so far.

The production design, at least a great deal of it, has been the only thing that has even remotely kept my interest in the Disney material. There are some truly talented people working on these projects.

I might be cynical, but I'm wondering if someone involved in this was trying to make a misguided attempt to be clever and make some real world comparison to insurgents. That could be why the AK is largely unmodified so the audience would definitely notice it. The show runner (something Gilroy?) said he's not really into SW, so I could see someone like that making that demand. This is how you do an AK blaster (I didn't even notice it was AK based while watching!):
cobbvanth.jpg

I might be cynical, but I'm wondering if someone involved in this was trying to make a misguided attempt to be clever and make some real world comparison to insurgents. That could be why the AK is largely unmodified so the audience would definitely notice it. The show runner (something Gilroy?) said he's not really into SW, so I could see someone like that making that demand. This is how you do an AK blaster (I didn't even notice it was AK based while watching!):
View attachment 1606249
I seriously love this setup…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back