Pepperbone

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
FYI >

thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

Malibu139

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yep that’s pretty dang good , but what is Stellan Skarsgard not good in. He could make the phone book interesting. And Diego Luna just sounds so comfortable as Andor, he has that character wired.

Still too soon after Kenobi to get hopes too high, but for me it’s got real promise.

Pepperbone

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I should have checked the IMDB credits for this earlier.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before but, the first time I watched The Crown a few years ago it changed my entire perspective on what TV is. I had absolutely zero interest in the Monarchy or anything related to that Universe. It's only after 15 minutes of having it play in the background (my wife was watching it) that I ditched my laptop, switched to the couch and spent the following 45 minutes in awe thinking "if only we could have a Star Wars show written, directed, performed and scored like this." For me it's easily one of the best things to watch, and a blueprint for what a series should be. Unparalleled craftsmanship.

I knew Tony Gilroy was involved in Andor, and the second trailer having at least one cast member of The Crown and a few Chernobyl players (another beyond-fantastic 5-episode series from HBO) helped rinse off some of the residue left from the other shows, and give me, ugh...hope.

Today I checked the IMDB credits and was excited to find that no children were involved in the production. Filoni, Chow, Rodriguez and the rest of that posse are likely busy planning the next seasons of subscription bait with their trusted marketing committee and are absent from the credits. Good news #1.

Good news #2: Andor has at least 2 additional producers and a production designer from Chernobyl. Those are the few that I quickly looked at. I'm sure there are more.

Good news #3. One of the Directors of Andor is Benjamin Caron, who directed multiple episodes of The Crown, including one entitled Aberfan. That episode left me with a few days on insomnia, and the score was and still is bone-chilling. To have that Director on Andor suggests a mature production overseen by professionals. I'd like to think this is what a lot of us have been waiting for.

I shouldn't hope for anything, but after looking at some of the credits for the show, I think we might have something very special ahead of us.

Last edited:

laszlo

Sr Member
IMO. this easily better writing and performances than any of the D+ SW shows so far.
Making a simple over the shoulder shot of a two way conversation both visually interesting and emotionally compelling. Hoping there are competent directors on all the episodes - rather than the appalling directorial skills of Deborah Chow. Fingers crossed.

Joek3rr

Master Member
Making a simple over the shoulder shot of a two way conversation both visually interesting and emotionally compelling. Hoping there are competent directors on all the episodes - rather than the appalling directorial skills of Deborah Chow. Fingers crossed.
I want to know what happened with Obi-Wan. Because Deborah Chow's episodes of The Mandalorian were my favorite.

Pepperbone

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hoping there are competent directors on all the episodes - rather than the appalling directorial skills of Deborah Chow. Fingers crossed.
If it was just Benjamin Caron surrounded by the usual clowns; I wouldn't bet on it.

If it's Benjamin Caron backed by Producers from Chernobyl, with scripts from Tony Gilroy, Dan Gilroy, Beau Willimon (writer on House Of Cards), and / or Stephen Schiff (writer on The Americans); then I'm at least cautiously optimistic.

The other directors (listed on IMDB) are Toby Hanes and Susanna White, which I know nothing about - but are clearly well surrounded.

So, I feel some anticipation.

I want to know what happened with Obi-Wan. Because Deborah Chow's episodes of The Mandalorian were my favorite.
To me there was one episode (first season) that was better than the rest, and was hers.
What likely happened is that she was deservingly noticed for that, and given creative license for Kenobi. The good ones deliver, the not so good ones don't. And no one really knows until the edit is locked. She didn't [deliver]. It happens all the time.

****** writing. That's what happened to Kenobi.
Absolutely.
Equally accepted theories are:

- Writing? Ahahaha!
- Off cours I kan rite. I rite moovees awl da time.
- Script? We don't need no script.

My...wish...is for Andor to deliver next-level, quality drama.
My...hope...is that the execs will notice and begin development of subsequent content with that level of quality in mind.

Malibu139

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Saw the Rogue One IMAX release tonight. It had some Andor behind the scenes (brief) stuff and Tony Gilroy and Diego Luna talking about the show. Part of what was said alluded to the need to have action but there is a story to be told and that’s what they seemed most interested in.

Also had a very extended cut of the scene above as well as the other trailer, and man this looks better with each new bit revealed.

It looks more grand, grittty, and real than any other D+ show ( pains me to say maybe even better than Mando).

E9430DE0-670B-4D91-A8E3-CCA7A0AF0280.jpeg

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
Here's why I'm hopeful for this series.

Andor is a character that we only know a little about. We saw his final mission, but we really know nothing about the man, who he was, and what life experiences made him that man that we saw in Rogue One.

This series will be able to explore all of this and build his character. This is why I'm so hopeful and why the previews fill me with this such hope.

Compare that to The Mandalorian. He was a character that we'd never seen before, knew nothing about, and learned who he was along the way, while he himself learned who he was along the way. As our knowledge of him grew, his character grew, shedding off some of the long-held beliefs of his clan, while at the same time, trying to be true in spirit to them. It was a win all around for us, the audience.

Compare that to The Book of Boba Fett. There was an established character, and while what we'd seen up to this point in the movies left us not really knowing that much about him, we saw him as a man of few words, precise actions, always being a step ahead of his competitors. This gave us the head-canon of Fett being "The most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy." Then we got the series and saw Fett as old and soft, a mediator rather than a man of action. And... we weren't satisfied at all with what we got.

And then there was Kenobi. Again, another established character that we first saw as a mentor, a teacher, and a man who made the ultimate sacrifice so that the next generation could escape and thrive. We then got the prequels, while not the most awesome of movies, (in my opinion, Kenobi was the best part of them.) We saw a padawan grow into a master and then a member of the council. He was a teacher himself who now struggled with a padawan that he saw falling and didn't know how to help until it became all too apparent that he wasn't going to save him. And though he had inner struggles as a result, he was determined to move forward and fulfill his new duties as best he could.

And then we got a series that saw him as an old soldier with PTSD, who was now unsure of himself, going through the motions of life and afraid to even think about again being the man he once was. He had to be forced into action and then, we got a story that broke the canon of what we'd already seen! (argue all you want that this still fits into what we know about the canon, I personally don't care.) On the other hand, I LOVED little Leia, she was a bright spot in the series, but honestly, it NEVER should have been about her.

So as much as The Mandalorian worked, compared to how Fett and Kenobi didn't, I think that Andor will surprise us and work as well. We are basically getting a new character, inasmuch as we're going to learn who he was, and how it made him who we met in Rogue One.

Man, I really hope I don't eat these words later...

NakedMoleRat

Master Member
Saw the Rogue One IMAX release tonight. It had some Andor behind the scenes (brief) stuff and Tony Gilroy and Diego Luna talking about the show. Part of what was said alluded to the need to have action but there is a story to be told and that’s what they seemed most interested in.

Also had a very extended cut of the scene above as well as the other trailer, and man this looks better with each new bit revealed.

It looks more grand, grittty, and real than any other D+ show ( pains me to say maybe even better than Mando).

View attachment 1612019
Would LOVE to get one of those posters to hang on my home office wall.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.