Star Trek USS Centaur studio scale

I'm going to see if I can find those high-saturation colors as well as the dark wash that appears to have been done to mute the colors some. If you need help with finding the kits used, let me know. I'll get you a list of them.

The black wash is "Cel Vinyl", originally used in painting animation cells. Wet the surface first and then lightly brush the surface and let the water attract the vinyl into the cracks.

<Snip>

Adam, if you ever see this... how did this all come about??? Did you just have a lot of model kits lying around, including duplicates? Did you have a budget to go buy a bunch of kits in order to cobble together ships for the show? I'm super curious how you came to use such a random assortment of model kits to build the Centaur, especially the strike eagle, Flak gun, and a single part off an M2 Bradley!

<snap>

Link: USS Centaur - NCC - 42043 has a quick precis of the story.

Wow, this thread is amazing!! I'm so glad that I can avail myself of it because I've always had an affinity for this little ship. I'm going to get the kits together and try to make my own kitbash of this vessel. Thanks so much to all those who have added to this thread with useful information!

Wow, this thread is amazing!! I'm so glad that I can avail myself of it because I've always had an affinity for this little ship. I'm going to get the kits together and try to make my own kitbash of this vessel. Thanks so much to all those who have added to this thread with useful information!

Good luck in finding all the parts needed. The kits are still available but the prices on some are getting pretty high. Post your completed build here when you finish.

Certainly. I actually have a lot of the parts already, or at least close approximates, in my parts bins. I have a whole Reliant already, plus an Excelsior that's built up which I don't mind sacrificing now that I have a Round 2 one. Only thing I think I'm missing are the K'Tinga and Raider kits.

The K'Tinga and Raider can be found. The big jet was the hardest one to pin down, and I think I still need one kit before I have everything.

I remember ages ago, a miniature-games store near me used to carry Cel paints. Haven't tried in ages - at this point so much animation, even 2D animation, is done digitally that I don't know if it's still made.

The K'Tinga and Raider can be found. The big jet was the hardest one to pin down, and I think I still need one kit before I have everything.

I remember ages ago, a miniature-games store near me used to carry Cel paints. Haven't tried in ages - at this point so much animation, even 2D animation, is done digitally that I don't know if it's still made.

Yeah, I think I might even have the K'Tinga in my storage unit, and the Raider isn't too expensive.

They still sell cel paints at specialty art stores, because traditional animation is still done by hobbyists. You can probably find it on Google.

It seems all the places that sold "Cel Vinyl" here in the States no longer sell it. I'll have to look in specialty art stores as Millenniumf suggests.

Yeah, actually wanted to mention another thing, which is they still teach traditional animation techniques at art schools, so I know it's possible for students at least to get cel vinyl. If Google and art stores turn up nothing, you might call up a local art college (for a sufficiently broad definition of the word "local") and ask if they have a traditional animation class, ask for the professor's name, then give them a call.

You could experiment with any "plastic" or acrylic style paint. We used Cel Vinyl as it was available, cheap and worked well with its dispersal with water... you try a black acrylic paint, but cel vinyl was very liquid out of the bottle so you may have to experiment with the consistency on some unimportant plastic model piece...

I want to say, this stuff looks almost exactly the same as Apple Barrel craft paint thinned in water and dish soap. I use it as a cheaper alternative to washes and it isn't easy to keep it from looking like the Centaur/Buckner weathering, but it'll behave like that if you're not careful. Here's some examples that I missed when I weathered my Bandai Millennium Falcon:

QaNaITU.jpg

a9eVvsO.jpg

BNo5NEF.jpg

You could give this a try, maybe add more paint than I did, and see if it'll work to replicate the look.

Acrylic washes are my bane. Older paint formulas used to behave really differently (much better for washes) but the 'tidermark' look is REALLY difficult to escape using the same techniques I used to use. :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back