Keep in mind the colors will be darker after they dry and also when applied to a larger surface. That's why I went just a tinge lighter on the gray than what was used on the TOS Set Tour walls.

I've had this remodel project in the back of my mind for quite some time, but here was my inspirational kick-in-the-butt to get up and actually start on it:
(in case you might be interested - and no, it's not my video).

Last edited:
Another component has arrived, still waiting on a few more parts before construction planning can begin.

IntercomFabric.jpg

What's going to go behind the mesh screen? A teardown of one of these:
GoogleNestMini.jpg

Last edited:
I painted 6 doors Top Tomato. I was at it for 6 hours and they look great! The Top Tomato colour really pops. I used up 2 quarts. Tomorrow night I'll paint 2 doors Tahoe Blue. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the inspiration and motivation

I painted 6 doors Top Tomato. I was at it for 6 hours and they look great! The Top Tomato colour really pops. I used up 2 quarts. Tomorrow night I'll paint 2 doors Tahoe Blue. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the inspiration and motivation
See, I told you the orangy-red looks better in-person than in photos! :)

Glad you and the wife are feeling better. I'm enjoying watching your progress on the room. You are doing a good job. What do you think about painting the shelving supports Distant Star too? They would disappear and make the shelving "float" in a more futuristic themed way.

Thanks for that idea - I could do that while the paint is opened for painting the frame to be built for a special light box... Maybe just the bottom halves of the supports, leaving the half connecting to the shelf white (so there aren't gray supports showing against the white shelf bottoms. I'll need to think about how best to do this, because all the brackets are curved where they bend so there isn't a clean line to follow for the paint. I thought about painting the shelves Distant Star, but I don't think the paint would hold well to the white laminate.

Last edited:
Well, I've thought about it and although I do like the idea, there just isn't a clean way to make the shelf supports half white and half gray, and painting them completely gray in my opinion wouldn't look good against the white shelf boards.

ShelfBracket1.JPG

ShelfBracket2.JPG

I didn't want to incur the expense and time of replacing all the room's prior shelving (especially considering the cost of components to be used in upcoming props for this project), so the original plan was to re-use all the existing shelving and furniture - with the exception of replacing my desk, which started off this whole project ("If You Give A Moose A Muffin"...). Ideally I would have done all the shelving and supports in the same gray as the walls, but realistically this where I remind myself that I'm not recreating a screen-accurate set - it's a home office / hobby room remodel inspired by TOS Star Trek.

Besides, except for a few out-in-the-open supports, most of them will be obscured anyway by items on the shelves:
ShelfBracket3.JPG

(spoiler there for some of the paints being bought for the desktop rocker switches)

I really do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions (keep them coming), but I don't think gray shelf supports are going to work out. Maybe someday in the future I might be motivated to replace all the shelving, but not just right now ($8,000 French doors were installed in our kitchen yesterday, my new desk set me back $3,500, a resin 3D printer is on my Christmas list for this year, plus all the items being bought to build props for this remodel).

Last edited:
Lookin good. I finished painting all my doors red and blue. I'll try and post some pics of my colourful new doors tomorrow.

Anybody got ideas on where to locate molding trim in these two styles?

ManTrap4.jpg

The left-side material is slightly angled, the upper-right material is rectangular with beveled top edges, both are 1" wide. I'm guessing some sort of cabinet door trim, but haven't yet found any matching styles in this size.

Not sure where to find trim, but there was a thread on here where someone was making a TOS red alert box.... they may know.

The project looks like its coming along fantastically well. Kudos!!

Not sure where to find trim, but there was a thread on here where someone was making a TOS red alert box.... they may know.

The project looks like its coming along fantastically well. Kudos!!
I searched but couldn't find any thread for that, but I'm going to ask around at some local custom cabinet-making shops over the next week. If they can't identify and order it, one of them might to be able to fabricate it.

I searched but couldn't find any thread for that, but I'm going to ask around at some local custom cabinet-making shops over the next week. If they can't identify and order it, one of them might to be able to fabricate it.
Sorry, Im a moron... that was your thread... lol. Oh well... hmmm.

Oh wait, I know that guy! lol

12" x 12" piece of 1/4" Red Acrylic 2283 arrived today from U.S. Plastic Corp:
RedAcrylic.JPG

What's that going to be for? By now, most people following this project probably already know. One square foot was the smallest unit size, but I can have it laser-cut to size locally with the appropriate openings. (Thanks JiminSTLouis for the informative and inspirational thread giving me another sub-project to build: Star Trek Wall Communicator Panel)

Last edited:
Anybody got ideas on where to locate molding trim in these two styles?

The left-side material is slightly angled, the upper-right material is rectangular with beveled top edges, both are 1" wide. I'm guessing some sort of cabinet door trim, but haven't yet found any matching styles in this size.

Upper right looks like standard screen moulding. But that's pretty much always 3/4", not 1" (eg at Home Depot: Alexandria Moulding WM 142 1/4 in. x 3/4 in. x 96 in. Pine Screen Moulding-0W142-20096C - The Home Depot) There might be larger sizes available. It's a simple rounded edge that can be replicated with a router.

The left side looks like picture frame moulding. I couldn't easily find examples on the internet at frame shops though. Could also be built up with standard lath and a few bevel cuts (eg. Unbranded 5/16 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 4 ft. Wood Lath (50-Pack)-234629 - The Home Depot) or run off by someone with a table saw.

Thanks, I've been to Home Depot and Lowe's, nothing there that matches. Since the red alert panel is hinged on the left side for accessing the interior lights, it won't be too much thicker than the glass. Products at custom framing shops are all much too thick, so I might end up custom-making something. Local cabinet shops are closed on weekends (no service for weekend builders!) so I haven't been able to call around yet. Also, I'm thinking it might be wiser to wait until glass starts arriving before I do any frame shopping.

More research reveals the TOS Set Tour made "compromises" for the wall panels fabric and frames. The correct shape of the frames should be akin to "screen moulding" which I've accurately measured to be 1" wide from multiple screenshots, and lighting reflections clearly show a flat top with beveled/rounded top edges:
WallFabric2.jpg

Donny Versiga has created amazing 3D models of the interiors at Art Station and he's done the panels in this same frame style (and even with the gold-laced fabric):
donny-versiga-tos-enterprise-quarters-07.jpg

donny-versiga-tos-enterprise-quarters-05.jpg

A closeup of the Set Tour panel shows fabric without the metallic gold, and moulding that looks like regular picture framing material in a brighter orange color:
set-tour-kirk-quarters-08.jpg

Although as an entity the TOS Set Tour is likely a wonderful "Mecca" for Star Trek fans to experience set replicas (unfortunately I haven't been there yet) it's just not accurate enough for me to use as reference material for my own project, even though I'm doing "inspired by" rather than "exact replica". (I do want to be somewhat accurate wherever possible/practical.)

I haven't been able to find the correctly-shaped moulding wider than 3/4", but I have some ideas on how to remedy this.

Last edited:
This is very cool project. Regarding the set tour, they have been replacing things over time with more accurate examples. Hopefully they'll get to some of the stuff you've noticed.

I realized I never added the gray paint comparison pic of "Online" versus "Distant Star" (and thus why I felt "Distant Star" would be comparable for my room's lighting) so I've updated post #8 with the pic I had meant to include.

So, after thinking about it for a few weeks, I've decided to splurge and get all-matching furniture for my side of the room. (Wife is content with the furniture on her side.) I'll need to wait until my desk arrives before placing the second order because I won't know until then whether I can modify the tackboard I bought or if a different one will need to be ordered (save on freight costs if a replacement is ordered with the additional furniture). I've changed my mind about a 72" tackboard with a 72" desk - it's just way more tackboard space than I'll ever need and covering it with replica Trek fabric will be costly, so I've decided on a smaller size which will be more reminiscent of the TOS wall panels and then can be resurfaced from only 1 yard of fabric.

In the same spirit of showing "before pics" as in the first post, here is how the old furniture looked (old desk barely visible on the left, 3D printing workbench in the middle, cheap bookcase slightly visible on the right). The smaller 3D printer on the right has already sold to make room for a resin printer.
TheOldWorkbench.JPG

What a mess! The new workbench will have full doors on its front and look much "cleaner", and being in the same gray color and style as the desk will have better continuity and theming on that side of the room.

I am open to opinions on what color to make the new 3D printer workbench top. The gray desk's top is wood-grained in the same color as Kirk's desk in his quarters. On one hand I'm leaning towards a gray countertop in keeping with the style of Kirk's quarters where all his non-desk cabinetry has gray tops. On the other hand I'm leaning towards a charcoal-color countertop in keeping with the style of TOS science labs:
ReturnToTomorrow.jpg

Although the charcoal countertop would be appropriate for the type of work (play?) being done on that workbench, I'm a little concerned about "color mashup" because the workbench will flush up against the desk (same height, probably same depth) so introducing a 3rd color could be a little much.

Wood-grain desktop beside gray workbench top (color samples from manufacturer brochure, bottom half represents furniture front face):
Gray.jpg

Wood-grain desktop beside charcoal workbench top (color samples from manufacturer brochure, bottom half represents furniture front face):
Charcoal.jpg

I don't fancy a wood-grain top for the workbench because the grain would run perpendicular to the desk's return surface (which I don't think would look so great) and doesn't align with its function:
Oak.jpg

Which do you think would look better and why? I'm leaning toward charcoal despite becoming a 3-color scheme because there would then be functionality distinction on the same-plane work surfaces - oak woodgrain for the "administrative" area (computers, laser printer, Alps printer), charcoal for the "making" area (3D printers), and gray for the "storage" areas (desk drawers and hutch, workbench cabinets, bookcase).

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back