Starbase101

Sr Member
Greetings, I don't know if this is the right place to post something like this, but I thought maybe there could be a few people who might find interest in a remodeling project I've started based on the original Star Trek series. The goal is not to create a replica studio set, instead this is more "inspired by" - but the new desk will feature a TOS desktop intercom and viewer terminal. (So, there are two props to be built towards the end of this remodel.) This room is my work-from-home office, as well as a hobby/crafting room that I share with my wife and her paper-crafting hobby.

For comparison against how things used to look, this is the old desk after everything has been cleaned out. This has already been sold and hauled away in favor of a new desk for matching the new theming.
TheOldDesk.JPG

Here is a before pic of the opposite diagonal corner after all the shelving and cabinets were removed.
ClosetBefore.JPG

Next the carpet was pulled and walls patched where anchors aren't to be reused when shelving goes back up.
PatchingHoles.JPG

CarpetRemoved.JPG

Door casings did not align with the wall base everywhere, so these were trimmed where needed for a uniform spacing to the floor.
DoorCasing1.JPG

DoorCasing2.JPG

The walls were painted Behr MQ5-31 "Distant Star" https://behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/MQ5-31 and the closet doors are being painted Behr P180-7 "Top Tomato" https://behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/P180-7 which has suddenly already started changing the feel of the room.
PaintingClosetDoors.JPG

I know, the doors aren't "smooth" - I decided to simply re-use the existing doors and give them a themed color. Thus, "inspired by" rather than "exact replica".

That's where I'm at so far. Tomorrow I'll start painting the front side of the closet doors and will have more pics later when the main door is painted, new Trek-style carpeting is put in, and props start getting built.

(I hope I didn't break any rules creating this thread.)

Last edited:
Greetings, I don't know if this is the right place to post something like this, but I thought maybe there could be a few people who might find interest in a remodeling project I've started based on the original Star Trek series. The goal is not to create a replica studio set, instead this is more "inspired by" - but the new desk will feature a TOS desktop intercom and viewer terminal. (So, there are two props to be built towards the end of this remodel.) This room is my work-from-home office, as well as a hobby/crafting room that I share with my wife and her paper-crafting hobby.

For comparison against how things used to look, this is the old desk after everything has been cleaned out. This has already been sold and hauled away in favor of a new desk for matching the new theming.
View attachment 1367125

Here is a before pic of the opposite diagonal corner after all the shelving and cabinets were removed.
View attachment 1367126

Next the carpet was pulled and walls patched where anchors aren't to be reused when shelving goes back up.
View attachment 1367127

View attachment 1367128

Door casings did not align with the wall base everywhere, so these were trimmed where needed for a uniform spacing to the floor.
View attachment 1367129

View attachment 1367130

The walls were painted Behr MQ5-31 "Distant Star" https://behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/MQ5-31 and the closet doors are being painted Behr P180-7 "Top Tomato" https://behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/P180-7 which has suddenly already started changing the feel of the room.
View attachment 1367132

I know, the doors aren't "smooth" - I decided to simply re-use the existing doors and give them a themed color. Thus, "inspired by" rather than "exact replica".

That's where I'm at so far. Tomorrow I'll start painting the front side of the closet doors and will have more pics later when the main door is painted, new Trek-style carpeting is put in, and props start getting built.

(I hope I didn't break any rules creating this thread.)
This is gonna be great. So far, so good. This will be a great project to follow. Great to see people making the best of the current situation. Looking forward to updates. Have fun!!

Thank you! My wife and I are slowly recovering from Covid brought on by one of her coworkers who didn't stay home when sick, so the progress has been slower than anticipated when the project was started. But I will not let Covid keep me down - this will get done, just not as quickly as I was first intending. More pics hopefully by the weekend.

Thank you! My wife and I are slowly recovering from Covid brought on by one of her coworkers who didn't stay home when sick, so the progress has been slower than anticipated when the project was started. But I will not let Covid keep me down - this will get done, just not as quickly as I was first intending. More pics hopefully by the weekend.
Whoa , sorry to hear. Hope you both get 100% better soon.

What shade of red did you use for the doors? Reds are always difficult to match but that looks pretty darned good!

Thanks, yes it was the only one in the store having the right look. It's specified in the text right above the photo. LED room lighting is being bought today, so hopefully future photos will show better color tones (incandescent wrecks the colors).

Here is how the 3 color sample cards look under overcast natural light. Top Tomato was not available in the Marquee One-Coat line.
ColorSwatches.JPG

I was told the TOS Set Tour walls are painted Sherwin-Williams 7072 "Online" Online SW 7072 - Neutral Paint Color - Sherwin-Williams but that color seems to have a little brown in it and looked a little too dark in my room's lighting. "Distant Star" is just a slight tinge lighter and in my opinion doesn't look as "dirty":
GrayComparison.jpg

Last edited:
This IS a the exact place to post this!!!! Subscribed!!!!! hopefully the room inspector has more carpet tiles to get around the lava floor soon !!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. It took all day, but all the carpet tiles have been dry-fitted and shelving has started going back up. The tiles were heavier than I expect they would have been under normal circumstances, especially towards the end of the day. Sad it was, to lift them all back up for re-boxing in reverse sequence. Tomorrow night after my day job the plan is to cover the floor with adhesive.

CarpetTiles3.JPG

CarpetTiles4.JPG
CarpetTiles5.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, I guess I forgot to mention in the first post, the room size is 10.5' x 16' with 8' ceiling. The space fills up fast when all the desks, workbenches, and storage is moved back in. My new desk still hasn't shipped yet (factory-ordered, so probably still being built), and that could cause an upcoming delay.

Thanks! There's no specific pattern in the carpet - it's just a faint criss-cross of light/dark grey lines (much more monochrome in person than the online sample photos convey. It was the only pattern they had on-hand in the store in gray that was mostly monochrome (everything else had wild color patterns in them). It's named "Fast Lane" color 6674 Fast Lane | Standard Carpets and it was also on sale. Anything else would have needed to be special ordered (and would not be at the sale price). "Paramount" Paramount | Standard Carpets would have been great in one of the gray colors, but I had already bought "Fast Lane" when learning of the other pattern and really it's good enough for the theming.

Last edited:
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"

FloorGlue.JPG

This is a contact cement that needs to dry before the carpet tiles are laid down. The whole house stinks like glue now. Time to get out our Rainmate air purifiers!

Last edited:
Carpet tiles are glued down and it's finally looking like a living space again.
CarpetTiles6.JPG

My desk hasn't shipped yet, so next up is moving my wife's crafting desk back into her corner. It's not Star Trek themed, but it's a nice desk with a lot of drawers so she wants to keep it. A large peg board needs to go back up before the lower shelf and desk can be put in.
CarpetTiles7.JPG

The front of the room is now ready for the carpet transition threshold and hanging doors back up, which will start triggering the theming. (Yes, that's a Millennium Falcon towel over the door protecting the paint.)
CarpetTiles8.JPG

We are both feeling better each day and slowly recovering from the Covid.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back