Star Trek: Prodigy one of several shows cancelled and to be removed from Paramount+.

CB2001

Master Member
Seeing there isn’t a thread for this series (at least not one found in the Quick Search), I hate to be the bearer of bad news for those who happen to like the show (I myself like it because it actually comes off as what Star Trek is suppose to be when this nuTrek era is basically trying to bury it). Just to point out, the show’s second season is already done and is waiting to be released, and that the production is looking for another channel/service to series the show on. But, it is one of a few other shows getting pulled from Paramount+.

The Paramount Global-backed streamer has canceled Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies after a single season, reversed its decision on a season two pickup for the animated and kids-focused Star Trek: Prodigy, axed competition series Queen of the Universe after two seasons and nixed The Game revival after two seasons. Additionally, all four shows will be removed from Paramount+ as the conglomerate joins Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery in taking tax write-offs for underperforming series.

I used to wonder why streaming services would pull content they produced for their own platforms. I assumed that, since it was already made, why not keep it available forever? It's not like they were paying for new episodes or anything, so I thought it wouldn't cost them anything to keep them avaiable to watch on their services. The tax write-offs are one reason, but it's also so they don't have to pay residuals to any of the people involved - the actors, writers, etc.

I used to wonder why streaming services would pull content they produced for their own platforms. I assumed that, since it was already made, why not keep it available forever? It's not like they were paying for new episodes or anything, so I thought it wouldn't cost them anything to keep them avaiable to watch on their services. The tax write-offs are one reason, but it's also so they don't have to pay residuals to any of the people involved - the actors, writers, etc.
It’s residuals, for sure.

It’s residuals, for sure.
Can be. Though the tax write off/ability to officially remove it and "take the loss" is the bigger part; at least for the moment.

Residuals on streaming services is actually one of the big sticking point of the writers strike. Every writer I have seen talk about the strike, says that residuals for streaming shows basically don't exist right now.

Last edited:
So, it appears that Prodigy has been pulled from Paramount+ in the U.S. already, but is still up in the U.K.

I bought the digital series from Amazon shortly after the first ten episodes aired. It was $10.00. To my happy surprise, the last ten were added to it for no extra charge.

Hopefully they’ll release the second season on Amazon Prime as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back