Star Trek Into Darkness (Post-release)

I saw it last night. It's an enjoyable summer popcorn flick. I thought it was better and more balanced than the first one but still had some moments of utter silliness.

Anyone else notice the model of the NX-01 on Admiral Marcus' desk when he was talking with Kirk and Spock? Nice little nod to the only series whose continuity survived the altered timeline...

So after a few days of thought...I have decided I need the rifle, the pistols from the Klingon shootout, the grey uniform with the hat, a uniform in each color, and all the ships.

That about does it.

This was a great movie, I watched TWOK again the nigh before just so would get all the nods JJ through to it. I wish so much that this would destroy Avatar in the box office, but it just won't happen:( but it is a way better movie;) I'm going again tomorow!
And who knows maybe JJ's Star Wars movie will crush avatar's box office record!

I saw Into Darkness this afternoon. And I really enjoyed it...until the Wrath of Khan rip-off scene, that is. If J.J. had been anywhere near me at that point I would have happily broken his nose for him. I'd guess J.J. thought that scene would be a nice "homage" to Wrath of Khan, but it just felt forced and cheap. And the method they used to "revive" Kirk subsequently was equally as ludicrous as the plot device they used to resurrect Spock in The Search for Spock. Speaking of which, as much as I like Leonard Nimoy there was absolutely no reason to have "Spock Prime" in this movie. "Hello, Old Spock? This is Young Spock. How did this play out when you went through it?" "Listen kid, I told you I wouldn't ever tell you anything about your possible future. However..." Seriously??? :facepalm :angry Minor complaints--I still don't like the iBridge, the brewery, or the chrome-plated phasers, and the communicator props (now that we actually get to see them) look and sound like the Playmates toys.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, I have to say I did enjoy the movie (except, of course, for everything I wrote above). The main characters were a little more "familiar" this time around, the plot didn't have as many holes as the plot of the '09 movie did, and J.J. clearly has no problems with fast pacing--not a lot of wasted footage in this movie. It's still not the Star Trek I grew up watching, but I knew that going in and I found it enjoyable.

Saw it last night. No better and no worse than the last one. The acting was well done (other than the "Khaaaaan!" bit mentioned earlier.) I did think Cumberbatch made a far better villain than Bana. (While looking even less like a Sikh than Montalban did.) A few thoughts:

I liked the reference to acquiring the non-Starfleet shuttle during "the Mudd incident." And the one Klingon we saw clearly, and the somewhat different bat'leth design.

Abrams apparently interpreted all the criticisms about his lens flares to mean that he should do them even more. When Carol Marcus was talking to her father I could barely see her.

Realtime communications from Kronos to Earth? And with a handheld communicator at that?

Bones was frantic to get Khan back to the Enterprise to save Kirk... when they still had 72 other genetic supermen onboard. (One of whom Bones had just defrosted minutes ago.)

So "Harrison" teleports to Kronos, when that played perfectly into Marcus' plans? Also, if they had his transwarp teleporter, and his coordinates, and a six dozen torpedoes, why didn't anyone suggest beaming them to him?

The Enterprise is submerged on Nibiru...why exactly?

It was a bit distracting when Kirk describes Spock as "throwing him under the bus." I doubt that metaphor is going to last 200+ years. And McCoy made a similar comment that seemed out of place, but I don't remember it at the moment.

The Enterprise is just inside Klingon space when met by the Vengeance. Kirk orders them to warp, and the chase lasts five minutes? two? - before getting blasted back into real space. But it was enough time to get them back into Earth orbit...

Finally, the whole ending went well beyond "homage" right into "cut and paste."

2 out of 5 stars IMO.

in an early draft of the 2009 film it's the NX-01 that is destroyed by Nero's ship at the opening not the Kelvin.

2 - Spocks phone a friend scene has to be the dumbest thing ever.

So now Khan will never meet his wife or marooned -

the one thing about the carbon copy ending is it's a perfect comparison of a great director and a bad one - Meyer really brings you in and you feel the tension then the loss while JJ's attempt lacks all of this.

Plus the entire vibe of WOK is set into motion with Spock's gift to Kirk, ATale of Two Cities. Kirk questions the meaning behind the book's first sentence - without this a expedition into mortality fails and things simply happen because taking the road most traveled are what this team has always preferred to do.

I LOVED this movie.

A few things are bothering me though.

Did McCoy essentially cure death? And why did it have to be Khan's blood, why not defrost one of the other 72? Is this medical breakthrough just going to be discarded now?

Quinto would have made a great Jedi, and Cumberbatch a great Sith. I think Star Wars is in great hands with JJ though.

I'm betting many of the real die-hard Trek fans hate this rebooted stuff the way Star Wars fans hate the Special Editions. I'm only a casual fan of Star Trek, but I have to put this one right up there next to The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country.

Did McCoy essentially cure death?

Well, no. Kirk's brain was still working, which is why they had to get him into cryostasis ASAP. His heart had stopped and radiation had ravaged his cellular structure, but he wasn't fully dead.

And why did it have to be Khan's blood, why not defrost one of the other 72?

Basic Scientific Reasoning. Khan's blood had known regenerative properties. Without testing, there was no way of knowing whether or not any of the other 72 super-people's blood had the same property. You could assume and take your chances, but when a person's life is on the line, you really don't want to do that.

Is this medical breakthrough just going to be discarded now?

McCoy synthesized a serum from Khan's blood sample. Synthesized means that it's most likely reproducible. It's in his own database now, and likely in the Starfleet Medical Database as well.

2 - Spocks phone a friend scene has to be the dumbest thing ever.

The only reason I can see for that inclusion was to remind the audience that Khan was the bad guy, not Marcus, despite the fact that he and Kirk were off having an adventure together. I agree that was one of the weaker parts of the film. I have also feel the entire Marcus character was superfluous, they should have just had Khan as their adversary.

Well, no. Kirk's brain was still working, which is why they had to get him into cryostasis ASAP. His heart had stopped and radiation had ravaged his cellular structure, but he wasn't fully dead.

Basic Scientific Reasoning. Khan's blood had known regenerative properties. Without testing, there was no way of knowing whether or not any of the other 72 super-people's blood had the same property. You could assume and take your chances, but when a person's life is on the line, you really don't want to do that.

McCoy synthesized a serum from Khan's blood sample. Synthesized means that it's most likely reproducible. It's in his own database now, and likely in the Starfleet Medical Database as well.

Sounds like Miracle Max from Princess Bride.

If your heart stops, and blood isn't reaching your brain, I think there would be brain damage pretty quickly. It took a while for them to get him in cryo.
The radiation would have killed a few brain cells too.

I just have a feeling this magic Khan elixir will need to be purged or made unable to be reproduced.

Saw Into Darkness yesterday evening...and loved it. Seemed like a real nice tie it to the 2009 film, and I think JJ is going to be great with the next Star Wars film.:thumbsup
Things that put a smile on my face, the references to the "5 year mission", Spock's use of the phrase "the needs of the many....", costume consistency from film to film, loved the new Klingon make up designs, ships and home planet...and of course Khan.
:)

Something that puzzled me was the reasoning to send the Enterprise, and the crew that just 'saved the day' away on their 5 year mission...now that war was essentially going to start with the Klingon's. Perhaps the Federation was unaware of this new development, but...Kirk knew which is why the timing of their departure for this '5 Year Mission' felt off...it's a minor concern at best because I'm more than ready to see them in space instead of back on earth now.

Great film, highly recommend!

David

Last edited:
Something that puzzled me was the reasoning to send the Enterprise, and the crew that just 'saved the day' away on their 5 year mission...now that war was essentially going to start with the Klingon's. Perhaps the Federation was unaware of this new development, but...Kirk knew which is why the timing of their departure for this '5 Year Mission' felt off.
David

Well, remember that was a year later. The Enterprise had been repaired and refitted, Kirk mentions that a year has passed in the dedication ceremony.

Well, remember that was a year later. The Enterprise had been repaired and refitted, Kirk mentions that a year has passed in the dedication ceremony.

Thanks bud, I guess I did miss that part...hmmm, not sure it changes how I feel about a possible war with the Klingon's 'supposedly' coming...and the Enterprise being sent away, but it's a minor sticking point at best. I really did enjoy the film regardless.
Thanks again bud.

David

I also had the impression because Khan killed all the Klingon's in that group and since they were in an abandoned area of Kronos that the Klingon's were left unaware of what happened to their people and thus a war was averted.

And even if they knew something happened to their people, Kirk made sure that there was nothing on the planet to tie them back to Starfleet. Kirk averted the war by Doing The Right Thing(TM).

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in any database anywhere about Khan's blood or resultant medical products. I took from the ending that he and his crew are now in a classified warehouse and being looked after by Top Men.

Top.

Men.

The same things bugged me as have been stated multiple times in this thread. Having said that, I am happy I knew the spoilers going into this. I was able to not allow myself get pulled out of this movie by the multiple wtf moments. I enjoyed it in many ways much more than the first. I'm actually looking forward to the five year mission films.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back