Star Trek: First Contact questions

All the Borg had to do was send more than one cube star fleet was pretty much wiped out with just one,so the Borg were obviously not that concerned.

wasnt there a TOS episode where they started off in the past? with a voice over saying "using the breakaway speed trick around the sun...."
as if they just travel to the past all the time

To quote a character from our beloved TV past - "Exact-a-mundo...!"
Time travel was never a sensible science fiction device.

It is a story-telling device, and a crutch, at that...

Two words my friend -- Doctor Who. He messes with everything and every now and then there's an after effect.

Thinking about it - Doctor Who only uses time travel as a story telling device, a few moments at the beginning and end to get where they're going and that's about it, proving your second point.

Time travel has just been abused over the years. Bad writers and producers who usually are looking for something to stuff into a package that's already pre-sold. JJ Trek is a perfect example.

About First Contact - I can't stand any Trek after TOS, but First Contact is the best they ever offered (I'll toss a few episodes of Enterprise in as well). Picard had some connection with the Borg - almost like he was still part of the hive - so he knew they were going back in time. And the Borg wouldn't dare go back and take us on as cavemen- those savages would have beat the crap out of them.

My biggest gripe about First Contact isn't so much the time travel nonsense, Picard being an obsessed revenge driven maniac or that Zephram Cocrane was some mumbling idiot. My biggest gripe that First Contact introduced that ruined one of the most unique elements that the TNG era introduced was...

THE BORG QUEEN

I LOATH the concept of the Borg Queen. It gives the Borg this tangible, single entity villain that our heroes can confront, deceive and defeat to save the day. The writers tried to keep the "collective" idea in there, but it's never portrayed as such since she still needs to give orders to her borg drones both vocally and physically. And seducing Data? :sick

Imagine if in "John Carpenter's The Thing" that the creature actually talked to the characters, or if there was one individual Thing that if killed, every other Thing dies. That would ruin a lot of what made the Thing so frightening that the Borg used to have during it's TNG era. They were a pure collective working to achieve a goal of total assimilation of all species. Not because they wanted power or knowledge, but because they believed they were doing everyone a favor. The capture and assimilation of Picard was one of those instances where they showed the Federation that if they could get Picard, Captain of the flagship of the Federation, they were going to get you. Resistance really was futile.

Now, I will admit that Alice Kridge did an amazing job portraying the Borg Queen and the make up work was second to none. So hats off to her and the make up department.

Ouch - that is a boatload...!

Well if you'd like nearly all of them starting with TOS...

-The Naked Time
-Tomorrow is Yesterday
-City on the Edge of Forever (a good one)
-Assignment Earth
-All Our Yesterdays

-Yesteryear (TAS)

-Star Trek: IV

-We Will Always Have Paris (TNG)
-Time Squared
-Yesterday's Enterprise (one of the better ones)
-A Matter of Time
-Cause and Effect
-Time's Arrow
-Tapestry
-Firstborn (Worf's adult son travels from the future to the present)
-All Good Things (Another good one)

-Star Trek: Generations

-Past Tense (DS9)
-Visionary
-The Visitor
-Little Green Men
-Trials and Tribble-ations
-Time's Orphan

-Star Trek First Contact

-Parallax (Voyager)
-Time and Again
-Eye of the Needle
-Future's End
-Before and After
-Year of Hell (Timeline is deliberately altered- big "reset" of events at the end)
-Timeless
-Relativity
-Shattered
-Endgame

-Star Trek '09

(I'd include the episodes from Enterprise... but why bother? :lol)

No... Time Travel as a plot device hasn't been overdone at all in Trek.
BangHead.gif
:lol

Kevin

Actually Bab-5 did not pan out like Uncle Joe wanted as they did not think they were going to get a 5th year.

He did manage to salvage it in the end but not the way he intended it to be.

You're right, I don't. However, JMS did and he set down some rules, followed them, and 100 or so episodes later had five seasons of a TV show and he did time travel right. So it can be done, which you challenged couldn't be. So I already proved you wrong and can move on now. :)

Actually Bab-5 did not pan out like Uncle Joe wanted as they did not think they were going to get a 5th year.

He did manage to salvage it in the end but not the way he intended it to be.

For the most part, it did. Everything that happened in Season 4 was a mix of what was planned for the original Season 4 and 5, just compressed into one season. I personally think the heaviness of the arc served Season 4 very well ultimately with any fluff removed.

What do you expect from TNT though, they screwed the pooch so many ways when it came to B5 and Crusade. They're the same people who wanted a Easter special to have ***** ****** flying through the air throwing fireballs and lightning to liven it up before a producer took his script elsewhere in disgust.

One thing worth noting in terms of the particularly well-structured B5 is that the show had the same main writer (JMS himself) who also was the show creator for one of the longest runs in TV history, as I recall.

My point here is that for such a long-form narrative, it's my understanding that it is EXTREMELY unusual to have a single person as the visionary for that show for the vast majority of the series. Apparently he wrote 92 of the 110 episodes, plus all five of the movies and the pilot. That's an unheard-of amount of control, and I suspect it allowed him to really keep the show pretty well structured. Apparently he also built in "trap doors" for characters so that if, at any time, a character needed to bow out (such as Andrea Thompson's abrupt departure), he could write them out quickly and painlessly. That said, he also had a remarkably stable cast who didn't have any accidents, pregnancies, "I'm sick of this crap" moments, etc.

In essence, B5 was one of the most stable, centrally controlled and created shows in the sci-fi genre, at least based on my understanding of how a lot of shows operate. So, while it stands as an example of what can be achieved in terms of a clearly structured, followed-through story, I think the approach to production behind it and the freedom given to JMS to actually create his show is pretty unusual.

Now, as we've seen elsewhere, being able to make "your" story without interference isn't always everyone's cup of tea, but certainly in TV world, it's extremely unusual and therefore admittedly a bit unfair to compare other shows to B5.

My burning question is, if the Borg have assimilated thousands of races across the galaxy then why were the only Borg we ever saw...human??? I mean, where were the Gorn Borg or the Tholian Borg or the Horta Borg?

-"The Borg sphere is emiting a "whocares"-ian radiation/partical beam!" and Picard says "TIME TRAVEL!"
..........ok so.... like.... if EVERYONE in the 24th Cen. knows that a "whocares"ian Radiation/Partical beam can cause time travel, why isnt it more prevalant? why isnt EVERYONE time traveling?

As seen even TOS, time travel is possible and was even done to study the past. However, the dangers of time travel are pretty well known. The Federation actually has a Department of Temporal Investigations in case time travel does happen. There is a Temporal Prime Directive about changing the past or giving people in the past information about the future.

next, the borg on the sphere obviously chose the DATE they traveled back to ON PURPOSE...."To STOP First Contact!" says picard....
..........Ok, so....like.... if the Borg are these masters of Time travel.... why not travel back ......like..... THOUSANDS of years ago and just assimilate humanity when we are cave men? and NO dont say "because they wanted the earth to be MORE populated thus More people=more borg..." That theory doesnt work because just as soon as they arrived Riker starts quoting his high school history book talking about "600 MILLION Dead!" after the third world war.....

Why choose any particular date? Earth was still an easy target... whether it was 1 million B.C. or 2063. I think part of the idea is that the Borg assimilate cultures taking qualities, technology and memories of an entire species. I think they want a little more substance and acheivements than making fire.

-Ok.... so then all of the drama and action of the movie itself takes place..... then at the end after the vulcans arrive, Picard says "I think its time we make a discrete exit". Then all of our heros beam back to the cleaned up Enterprise (damn they cleaned it up fast! who did that considering over half the crew was assimilated?), anyway..... so then Picard says "Data recreate the "whocares"ian radiation/partical beam like the Borg did at the begining of the movie so we can get back to the EXACT moment in time that we left!"..... Data says "No prob J.L.!" and POOF! The Enterprise is gone to, what we assume is exactly where they left off even though they never mention it again in any other movies?

I'm not sure what the question is here... but we have no idea how long they were above Earth in the past either. They probably studied the sensor information they gathered from the Borg vortex and worked out away to recreate it off screen. I'm sure they go to the bathroom too... we just don't see it.

The issue here is that reocurring problem in Sci Fi....That time travel always works the same! I mean there are SOOOO many things that they messed with and changed "in the past" that we are just to assume they didnt affect history? For instance: sure Zephram Cocrane piloted the firs t warp ship, but dont you think the history books also mentioned who his two co-pilots where? I mean Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon right? but who was the second? Will Riker?

This is during the second dark ages of humanity. Earth is a mess, communication is not what is today... the world has just become a much bigger place again. This was not a government operation where everything was recorded and documented. Zephram Cocrane and Lily were both in on the fact that the timeline had been altered. History probably records that Lily was in the cockpit with him. Simply put- they lied.

My burning question is, if the Borg have assimilated thousands of races across the galaxy then why were the only Borg we ever saw...human??? I mean, where were the Gorn Borg or the Tholian Borg or the Horta Borg?

Look again. You'll see various species of Borg. Including Cardassian, Klingon, Bajoran, Bolian and some unnknown races. They just aren't easy to recognize with all that junk on them and gray skin color. I would wonder about non humanoids though. Never saw a Ferengi Borg either...

In TNG, this was absolutely true, but on Voyager and the First Contact film you can spot some alien Borg, including Klingons.

My guess is that originally this had everything to do with budget constraints.

Oops, just read DG's post. Beat me to it.

It could be that most of the Borg are humanoid because most sentient species tend to be humanoid. (Which is because the actors portraying them are humanoid.) Since drones seem to be more or less interchangeable within a ship, it would probably be easier to build ships with controls and alcoves designed for one species in particular.

So maybe there are all Gorn Borg ships, all Tholian Borg ships... that we just haven't seen.

Ah yes the Borg Queen, I loved Picards line 'yes I remember you, you were there the whole time' err no she wasn't lol, and they never did explain away the whole Descent 'issue' whereby the borg were all left as individuals and then brainwashed by Lore, where was the queen then? huh? Great movie though, lots of things blowing up

Funny... there was only one thing about First Contact that bugged me- The Defiant.

I understand why it would be at the battle. It was designed to fight the Borg in the first place... and was a convenient way for the writers to get Worf back on the Enterprise. However, why was it commanded by Worf and why was it manned with a bunch of people we've never seen before? In such a critical battle, shouldn't it be manned by the people that were most familiar with it? Wouldn't Sisko, a man that not only fought at Wolf 359 but lost his wife in that battle want to be there?

Ah yes the Borg Queen, I loved Picards line 'yes I remember you, you were there the whole time' err no she wasn't lol, and they never did explain away the whole Descent 'issue' whereby the borg were all left as individuals and then brainwashed by Lore, where was the queen then?
That was just that one group of Borg that Lore had isolated.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back