Star Trek Boomerang Phaser "Starfleet Silver"

Cheers, great stuff indeed! It's interesting you mention Subaru, I was following a Legacy last week and thought that it's silver colour could work.

For what it's worth, if I had to pick one of the other options, I'd go with the Toyota color. It's bang on in value, and only a tiny bit too pink. But the cans of 7173 sometimes had a slight purple tinge, so I feel like that's not too far off.

This version of GM15 aka GM15U aka WA914K, looks promising. No idea if it's from before '98 but the color chip is a warm medium gray, so it's on the right track.

I just ordered a can and will report back on how it compares once I get it.

The can came in today and it's not even close. More of a graphite color than the pewter of 7173. So not a good substitute.

I ordered the W15 Silver Sand Gray which I received earlier this week. I have tested on a matt black base and it does look good. As usual the weather bogs decided that as soon as a sample was ready to photograph, sun disappears and it starts raining :( Supposed to be better tomorrow and I will try to get sun/ shade pix for worthy opinions from the starfleet silver masters here... :)

Pix as promised...
2 coats matt black, 2 coats GM15W topped with 2 coats semi gloss.

Meridian sunlight
SS_MeridianSunlight.jpg

Shaded outdoors:

SS_ShadedOutdoors.jpg

Indoors:

SS_Indoors.jpg

Great thread and really nice to see your build coming together!

I've also been building a Boomerang phaser recently (Stapleton kit) and ended up using #140 Vauxhall/Opel Smoke Gray Metallic by Dupli-Color.

It might run slightly cooler in tone, but it still has an nice amount of 'gold' to balance it out. Can recommend it.

(shot indoors with natural light, no clear coat)

DSC03970.jpg

DSC03974.jpg

Ok I think this is my new favorite. I took the WA8311 code to the local paint shop and got a small amount to test. I took this swatch outside and compared it against my screen-used boomerang and a PADD painted in an older formula that's also really close:

IMG_3032.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Ok I think this is my new favorite. I took the WA8311 code to the local paint shop and got a tiny amount to test. I brushed some on a piece of styrene on top of a light primer coat. This paint is specifically meant to be clear coated, so I gave it a semi-gloss clear. For the ultimate test, I took this swatch outside and compared it against my screen-used boomerang and a PADD painted in an older formula that's also really close:

View attachment 1581734
Yes- I'm pretty happy with it so far :) Unfortunately a wet and windy Winter has just started here so no more painting for a few months :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back