Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Holy ****** dude! And I thought I might be able to finally contribute something to this :| Looks really good! If you are second guessing any measurements, I was thinking that both the metal neck rod and all of the screws have got to be standard. What measurements do they have now?

Haha! no worries, we're a long way from home, plenty of room for help.

The two measurements I have on the neck are .704" (side) and .745"(front). I consider the front view to be one of the best reference photos around (from the magazine cover with Lucas) because is it almost exactly straight on and it's taken with a high focal length lens (zoomed way in) and there is very little lens distortion. With those two measurements, I'd be comfortable calling it a .75" shaft. Also, It's a pneumatic cylinder shaft. I have one of a similar size at work I'll check tomorrow and I'll bet they match up.

As for the hardware, the face stuff is all pop rivets in the original Rex and those can vary in size but look what magic happened when I dropped in a 2-56 button head screw from McMaster:
Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 8.47.28 PM.png

I'd say we're within a tenth or two which is extremely exciting! It's been a long a frustrating measurement war and I'm glad to finally have things lining up.

Last edited:
Magic indeed, friend, magic indeed. I'd definitely say you've nailed it on scale if it's that close to .75" and the screw matches up. One of these days I need to try and start practicing modeling. I've only ever been good with 2D programs and stuff.

Magic indeed, friend, magic indeed. I'd definitely say you've nailed it on scale if it's that close to .75" and the screw matches up. One of these days I need to try and start practicing modeling. I've only ever been good with 2D programs and stuff.

Give it a shot, It's a pretty natural progression from 2D. Check out Autodesk Fusion 360. Free for enthusiasts and just about as powerful as something like Solidworks.

Btw, Progress!
HeadFinished.png

Hey Jake,

Yeah I think I've got it pegged (finally). The ears are 4.5" dia , the head dome is 11" dia and the visible outer dia of the 3po mouth is somewhere between 1.4" and 1.5".

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through a new CAD drawing of Rex since usajdm posted more pictures and the dimensions are finally agreeing with themselves. With the 4.5" ears, the mouth size was only about a tenth of an inch off which I'm happy to blame on parallax/distance to camera. Feel free to mock up but if you hold out for a few weeks I should be able to get a completed CAD drawing up which should save you some serious dimension-figuring time.

Here are a couple of pictures of whats going on:
View attachment 524667View attachment 524672View attachment 524671

The head dome (at 11") looks to be cut down from a hemisphere. If the dome were to be extended to a full hemisphere, that could be found and cut down, what diameter hemisphere would be needed to ensure the correct curvature is kept when it is cut down to a diameter of 11"?

The head dome (at 11") looks to be cut down from a hemisphere. If the dome were to be extended to a full hemisphere, that could be found and cut down, what diameter hemisphere would be needed to ensure the correct curvature is kept when it is cut down to a diameter of 11"?

Hey Howl, the 11" in referencing IS the hemispherical diameter and the the 11" dia. hemisphere does indeed get cut down.

Well folks, The 3D model is done. There are places still needing a little more detail for the model to be truly complete and accurate, but I'll leave it here for now. All I really built this for was blueprints for the build and I've got more than enough for that at this point. Check it out!
View attachment 564549View attachment 564548View attachment 564547

That model looks awesome!

I, uh, don't assume you'd ever be willing to share the 3D model? I've been searching for a model of RX-24 for a very long time, to use for a prop object in The Sims 2. It sounds silly but it's part of a fan project I've been working on for a number of years. Been making a Star Wars film in The Sims 2 just for fun. :p

I've been lurking, watching this as it's coming along. So far this is looking really great and I commend you on the excellent job you've been doing. I'm an R2 Builder with my R2 being about 6 years old now - and had been considering what I want to do next, aside from a more "gadgety" R2. Rex has been one of my favorites and I had some ideas of what to do, how to make him mobile, and even get a new droid transport (we currently use our Honda Element) with right hand drive that could be designed to look like a shuttle, with Rex in the "drivers seat" on the left.
Meanwhile I now need to help my son on his BB8...

That model looks awesome!

I, uh, don't assume you'd ever be willing to share the 3D model? I've been searching for a model of RX-24 for a very long time, to use for a prop object in The Sims 2. It sounds silly but it's part of a fan project I've been working on for a number of years. Been making a Star Wars film in The Sims 2 just for fun. :p

Hey Blue Leader, Thanks! I'm inclined to share it but let me sit on it for a bit and figure out a nice way to do that with a little bit of control. I'd like it to stay with the people its intended to be with.

I've been lurking, watching this as it's coming along. So far this is looking really great and I commend you on the excellent job you've been doing. I'm an R2 Builder with my R2 being about 6 years old now - and had been considering what I want to do next, aside from a more "gadgety" R2. Rex has been one of my favorites and I had some ideas of what to do, how to make him mobile, and even get a new droid transport (we currently use our Honda Element) with right hand drive that could be designed to look like a shuttle, with Rex in the "drivers seat" on the left.
Meanwhile I now need to help my son on his BB8...

Oh the possibility for future projects are endless :) Control and movement systems are something I'll need a little help with so if you know anyone... I'm very up on my battery tech and electronics and even my C coding but I really don't know what hardware/software combo people are using to sync sound and movement. I'm excited to learn though! As I said to Blue Leader, I'm inclined to share the stuff I do here so as I generate plans I'll make them available in one way or another.

Haha! no worries, we're a long way from home, plenty of room for help.

The two measurements I have on the neck are .704" (side) and .745"(front). I consider the front view to be one of the best reference photos around (from the magazine cover with Lucas) because is it almost exactly straight on and it's taken with a high focal length lens (zoomed way in) and there is very little lens distortion. With those two measurements, I'd be comfortable calling it a .75" shaft. Also, It's a pneumatic cylinder shaft. I have one of a similar size at work I'll check tomorrow and I'll bet they match up.

As for the hardware, the face stuff is all pop rivets in the original Rex and those can vary in size but look what magic happened when I dropped in a 2-56 button head screw from McMaster:
View attachment 527050

I'd say we're within a tenth or two which is extremely exciting! It's been a long a frustrating measurement war and I'm glad to finally have things lining up.

I'm so happy, my picture was put to good use! I knew the straight face pictures would come in handy. Hey haakesack, you need any more pics of certain angles, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be more than happy to do this for you! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE those models you did. My salute to you for keeping this project alive. He's one unique droid. Also, if you like cartoons, he appears twice in STAR WARS REBELS. Wasn't too happy with his last appearances though...it was so messed up. :( Again, thank you for your hard work and keep us posted amigo!

Oh no! Please forgive me, I didn't realize you sent me a message over a year ago. :( So sorry for NOT responding. You know something, I made friends with an imagineer, Ill ask her if maybe i can see Rex (where ever they are currently keeping him), and get you some measurements. Can't make any promises though since imagineers are so busy. BUT i'll try to get as much data on this droid for ya.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back