DJ Rex... Well, That Escalated Quickly.

genZOD

Sr Member
IMG_8347.jpeg

I bought 2 things on eBay: Rex, the old pilot droid from Disney's Star Tours and Max Reebo's Keyboards. One is vintage kenner and one is from the 90's. My simple idea was to mash the two together to make something close to DJ Rex from Oga's Cantina in Disney's Star Wars land. Anyway this project ended up being a "one thing leads to another" project.

The original mash up went OK. I removes the bottom of Rex and 3D printed an interface between him and the keyboards.
IMG_8318.jpegIMG_8319.jpeg
The results was cool, but the colors were wrong so...
IMG_8330.jpeg
The basic repaint went pretty well, but Disney made changes to the model when they moved if from Star Tours to Oga's Cantina.
IMG_8332.jpeg
The mouth became a microphone and the ears became headphones. Also he should have something written on his chest. Anyway, this lead me down a 3D printing and homemade decals rabbit hole...
IMG_8349.jpeg

This is my first custom action figure. I'm not sure why I never tried this before. I'll eventually add his slotted sunglasses and probably modify the keyboards. I'm not sure if this sort of thing fits this forum exactly--but it was fun to do and did end up Ising lots of "maker" skills. 3D printing at this scale was a particular challenge. Also, if anyone want's a sheet of janky DJ Rex decals of various sizes, hit me up.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back