Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Re: Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

I went yesterday to Disney, ad i took some profile pics of Rex's head. Let me know what you think. Its hard to take pictures but I somehow pulled it off.

I went yesterday to Disney, ad i took some profile pics of Rex's head. Let me know what you think. Its hard to take pictures but I somehow pulled it off.

Holy Cow, you sure did. I'll get to work on these asap! Thanks a million! I should be able to model the entire head at very least with these pictures. I'll work on that first and work my way down the body. Any outstanding critical dimensions wanted besides neck tube diameter?

I think the head is the most crucial. I'd appreciate any of your findings. If you more Rex pictures, don't hesitate to ask, I have TONS of pictures, you can say I have an obsession with this droid since I was a youngster. Any closeups of the hands, arms, certain angles. Shot me a message!

How's the build going?

Hey thanks for the update reminder!

So here's what's been going on lately on my end:

I had an idea that Rex should work and not just sit there with LED mouth and eyes. That idea inceptioned itself all over my brain and so I've paused the physical modeling and have started designing the interior workings of the droid and how I'm going to get 4 dof + at least 3 LED channels up through the neck. Also how I'm going to sync that up to audio/video. I have some ideas like arduino and xsim or pololu boards/ software but I'm still experimenting with that stuff. Suggestions are most welcome.

Next steps are yoinking some servos from my old RC plane and wiring up a breadboard as proof of concept. Then back to physical modeling and prototype!

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

I'm heading to Disneyland on Sunday, does anyone need anything? Actually is anyone pursuing building this besides me? I'll capture as much as I can anyway but I just wanted to know if you guys would like something specific.

Cheers!

I've always wanted to make an RX droid, thanks so much for starting this thread, haakesack! As for some reference to collect, seems like people have mostly covered the head, maybe some more detail shots on the torso or arms? I don't really know though, I'm new to this :)

I've always wanted to make an RX droid, thanks so much for starting this thread, haakesack! As for some reference to collect, seems like people have mostly covered the head, maybe some more detail shots on the torso or arms? I don't really know though, I'm new to this :)

No problem! Yeah I've certainly been focusing on the head, I'll give the other parts some love. Thanks for the suggestion!

Was it a successful excursion? Were you an absolute madman as predicted?
Oh yes, there was much shenanigans and goings on!
Here's the pictures I nabbed: IMG_1255.JPGIMG_1256.JPGIMG_1257.JPGIMG_1258.JPGIMG_1259.JPGIMG_1260.JPGIMG_1261.JPGIMG_1262.JPGIMG_1263.JPGIMG_1264.JPG

Harder than it seems to get good reference pictures. The line moves fast and they're fairly out of reach. The head overall is smaller than I'd expect. maybe 12 or 13" inches wide total. I'd estimate the main head globe diameter to be about the same.
I'm going to do some quick work on that sticker for the lone Irken soldier up there.

I'm curious about that graphic label pasted upside down on the inside lid of the crate.

Hey Man,

Here's that label straightened and as flat as I dare get it. Use the original picture as shape reference but I think I got it close.

Somebody want to spend some time in illustrator making a vector of this? I think it'd be really cool :)

Sticker.jpg

BTW that font is called the Aurebesh can be found HERE. Also there's a cool article about it over on Endor Express HERE

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back