Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Does any one know what the Boyd is a shoutout for?because it sounds like a in joke between the creators
I was wondering this too... Did some googling and didn't find much. Maybe Mr. Newborn can lend a hand on this one? Since it's "defective" era art I'm guessing its a current imagineer...

Last edited:
Got a lot of work done over the last couple of days here it is nearly complete! all i'm missing now is the stupid dots :) RX24-Shipping-Label.jpg

I have to say, if you build a REX you will quickly become my hero. Though I'll also end up hating you because I'll be jealous. :p

A little off topic, but does anyone know if someone has made an RX-24 3D model? I've been looking for one for a little fan project I've been working on for fun but haven't come up with much.

I have to say, if you build a REX you will quickly become my hero. Though I'll also end up hating you because I'll be jealous. :p

A little off topic, but does anyone know if someone has made an RX-24 3D model? I've been looking for one for a little fan project I've been working on for fun but haven't come up with much.

I'm definitely going to build one so jealous up! I'm taking my time though on accounta it's important to me and I'm learning a lot of new skills. I'm used to mechanical things so designing the innards and the control mechanisms will be no biggie but I'm new to replica prop making in general so I'm taking my time to learn casting and molding, sculpting in clay, all the stuff.

I'm guessing this will happen in two or three parts, one aesthetically similar but not working, one working but rough and one final in aluminum with all the goodies. But we'll see.

I've searched and searched for a 3D model, the only one I know of is from the st45 project and that's "rx-28" which is a bit different. I'm slowly building one but the head is the only thing going so far and I've had trouble getting good reference pictures. I'm pushing on though so stay tuned.

I'm definitely going to build one so jealous up! I'm taking my time though on accounta it's important to me and I'm learning a lot of new skills. I'm used to mechanical things so designing the innards and the control mechanisms will be no biggie but I'm new to replica prop making in general so I'm taking my time to learn casting and molding, sculpting in clay, all the stuff.

I'm guessing this will happen in two or three parts, one aesthetically similar but not working, one working but rough and one final in aluminum with all the goodies. But we'll see.

I've searched and searched for a 3D model, the only one I know of is from the st45 project and that's "rx-28" which is a bit different. I'm slowly building one but the head is the only thing going so far and I've had trouble getting good reference pictures. I'm pushing on though so stay tuned.

Once it's finished, are you going to be bringing it to conventions and stuff like the R2 Builders?

Which does bring me to a sort-of-related-but-sort-of-not-related question... How the heck do RX droids move around? I mean, it doesn't look like they have any wheels on them, so are they just bolted into place, never to move from position again...? I've always wondered that. :p

I forgot about the ST-45 Project. As neat as the project was, I don't think they'd let me use their RX model for my project. I did manage to snag a StarSpeeder 3000 model, which someone made for me a while ago, though it's not entirely accurate... But better than nothing.
It's too bad that all of the videos have been taken down, though, it was a pretty neat thing to see.

I must admit that I have been tempted to make a Star Tours castmember costume of the original style, not the Star Tours II style. I like the old uniforms better than the new ones... But that costume is a ways down the line. I have some other Star Wars costumes to finish first (and some costumes that aren't Star Wars).

Once it's finished, are you going to be bringing it to conventions and stuff like the R2 Builders?

Which does bring me to a sort-of-related-but-sort-of-not-related question... How the heck do RX droids move around? I mean, it doesn't look like they have any wheels on them, so are they just bolted into place, never to move from position again...? I've always wondered that. :p

I forgot about the ST-45 Project. As neat as the project was, I don't think they'd let me use their RX model for my project. I did manage to snag a StarSpeeder 3000 model, which someone made for me a while ago, though it's not entirely accurate... But better than nothing.
It's too bad that all of the videos have been taken down, though, it was a pretty neat thing to see.

I must admit that I have been tempted to make a Star Tours castmember costume of the original style, not the Star Tours II style. I like the old uniforms better than the new ones... But that costume is a ways down the line. I have some other Star Wars costumes to finish first (and some costumes that aren't Star Wars).

Oh my gosh I haven't even thought that far ahead. Possibly! I'll love to show him off, that won't be an issue.

I always assumed that the rx pilot droid was a permanent installation into the starspeeder. We just happened to catch him just after installation.

You can still find the st-45 project around, let me know if you need help finding it :)

I would love to see a star tours group arise out of this, doing costumes and droids and props.

Make on!

You can still find the st-45 project around, let me know if you need help finding it :)

I need help finding it. I spent hours following dead links with no success. It is very frustrating to read about how amazing the video is, but not being able to see it myself. From what I gathered, it was Lucasfilm that requested the video removals, for whatever reasons. It seems a little unfriendly to the fans to demand removal of something that took so much work, everyone else raved about and supported and wasn't intended to make a profit. But I haven't seen the video, so maybe I am missing something.

I need help finding it. I spent hours following dead links with no success. It is very frustrating to read about how amazing the video is, but not being able to see it myself. From what I gathered, it was Lucasfilm that requested the video removals, for whatever reasons. It seems a little unfriendly to the fans to demand removal of something that took so much work, everyone else raved about and supported and wasn't intended to make a profit. But I haven't seen the video, so maybe I am missing something.

Here you go, let me know if this source goes down. STAR TOURS - Original Version Recreation on Vimeo

Oh my gosh I haven't even thought that far ahead. Possibly! I'll love to show him off, that won't be an issue.

I always assumed that the rx pilot droid was a permanent installation into the starspeeder. We just happened to catch him just after installation.

I would love to see a star tours group arise out of this, doing costumes and droids and props.

Make on!
Yeah, I kind of figured that the droids couldn't move from their position, either. Kind of a bummer when you think about it like that. Trapped inside the StarSpeeder, never to see the light of day again... :lol

It would be pretty cool to see a Star Tours group, that'd be pretty fun. Though my Star Tours costume is a fair ways down the road, like I mentioned, especially because it's not accepted by any of the Star Wars costuming organizations. But some day... I already have the name badge for it ready to go.

And thanks for posting the ST-45 link. I'm glad to see the video is still around.

Yeah, I kind of figured that the droids couldn't move from their position, either. Kind of a bummer when you think about it like that. Trapped inside the StarSpeeder, never to see the light of day again... :lol

It would be pretty cool to see a Star Tours group, that'd be pretty fun. Though my Star Tours costume is a fair ways down the road, like I mentioned, especially because it's not accepted by any of the Star Wars costuming organizations. But some day... I already have the name badge for it ready to go.

And thanks for posting the ST-45 link. I'm glad to see the video is still around.

No worries.

Here's the !DEFECTIVE! sticker:defective.jpgDefective.png

Wow. you're way too good at that. How do you do it? :eek: Thanks so much! :D

Here's the general workflow I go through with one of these: import reference photograph into Photoshop. Transform in various ways to straighten as much as possible. Crop and save. Import into illustrator. Make general guides as to where things are. Draw. A lot. Find fonts necessary for text. Type text in and skew to fit. Done!

There's still a lot of interpretation that has to happen once you get to illustrator because you never get that reference photo perfect (especially with the wrinkles/ rips in the first piece) but that's the fun part!

So, any news from anyone? :D
Well I can offer an update on my situation. I'm not sure anyone is giving an effort. Anyone?

I realized pretty quickly that I had all of the mechanical and electronic skills necessary. A little arduino learning and I'd be soaring. But really what I'm out of my depth in is the finishing. The shaping, filling, sanding, painting stuff. So I embarked on a "quick" project to tech myself bondo, glazing putty, painting and wet sanding, and molding and casting. That project is nearly complete and ready to pull molds off of my master positive. Once complete I'll start prototyping out rex and the basic mechanicals etc. with a mind toward the final outer design.

Honestly, its going to take a while. Time and money are always at a premium. I am however dedicated to completing this task and I will, It's just going to take some patience on my part. I almost bought a Tom Servo Kit because I wanted to build a bot so bad but I held off as I worried it would diffuse my desire to complete rex.

Well I can offer an update on my situation. I'm not sure anyone is giving an effort. Anyone?

I was really excited as soon as I saw I wasn't the only one who was crazy enough to try to pursue this. However, I'm the farthest thing you can get from a replica prop maker. The things I've ever attempted have never even gotten past the first sculpt stage because of frustration or lack of interest. I'd seriously love to make rex with the help and motivation of everyone here. I um... I don't really know where to start though... ._.
thoughts from anyone?

I was really excited as soon as I saw I wasn't the only one who was crazy enough to try to pursue this. However, I'm the farthest thing you can get from a replica prop maker. The things I've ever attempted have never even gotten past the first sculpt stage because of frustration or lack of interest. I'd seriously love to make rex with the help and motivation of everyone here. I um... I don't really know where to start though... ._.
thoughts from anyone?

I'm right there with you man, Rex is the best. You know, I'm not really a replica prop maker either. I've built things in the past but I'm mainly a car mechanic type guy. I looked around, saw the skills I needed that I don't have, and started projects that will be fun and will teach me those skills. I have to give thanks to Harrison Krix at Volpin Props and his willingness to share his methods and materials. He really gave me enough confidence to start down a path of trial and error while at least knowing a little about what I was doing. His Halo Needler blog walks you through every step of the process. Start by reading that and be prepared to sand a lot.

I'll post plans and CAD files etc. If I can cast and mold things without litigation, I will. I've put in a few hours in solidworks this weekend, so things are moving along.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back