Spaceballs Dark Helmet

Hey! Coming close to building this costume for myself. My question is what did you use for the two circular flat pieces for the chest?

thanks and may the Shwartz be with you!

This thread inspired me to build one as well :)
20200412_223902.jpg

Springboarding off of a Halo costume I was thinking about a great halloween costume character to create and wear at parties. Weighing the pros and cons of a bunch of costumes (including buzz lightyear and the predator) I decided to settle on an old favorite movie of mine from childhood; Spaceballs. With the help of a newly acquired 3D Printer, and the knowledge gained from creating the Halo Armor, I decided to create a Dark Helmet Costume.
Step 1 - Obtain a pepakura file of the Helmet. For that, I used Dark Helmet helmet by Darkside501st. I have to give the creators of the pdo files a lot of credit for their time and effort contributed. Thank you. After resizing and printing the helmet on 100lb stock paper, it was time to start cutting and gluing. Nothing new here, just applying what I did with Halo armor below:
View attachment 893291
View attachment 893292
Used cardboard to reinforce supports. This decreases warping when applying fiberglass resin.
View attachment 893293

Step 2 - Coat with Fiberglass Resin:
View attachment 893294
View attachment 893295

Step 3 - Apply the Bondo:
View attachment 893296
View attachment 893297

Step 4 - I decided to pull part of the mask out of the PDO and use the program Blender to help turn it into a 3d print .stl file. The below was the result:
View attachment 893298
Daughter photobomb! Since the mask was too big for the printer, I split it into 3 parts. You can see the seams above. Each seam was sanded and painted smooth. When gluing the parts together, I used hot glue first, then a rondo layer over the seam and fiber tape across the seam as well. The fibers add a lot of strength.
View attachment 893299
Dry fit the pieces together. Looking good so far.

Step 5 - Now for the hard part. I need this thing to sit on my head and not my shoulders. I don't have many pictures but I should be able to give you an idea of how it was done.
I took a a hard hat that has an internal head holder like the one below:
View attachment 893300
Then cut the top of the hard hat off.
View attachment 893301
I cut along the top so that the dark helmet faceplate has a place to go when it is in the up position.
With the hard hat ready, I mounted it to the helmet making sure to place screws on the back half only.

Step 6 - Dryfit the helmet.
View attachment 893302
You can see the hinges above on either side.

Step 7 - Create tinted visors using plexiglass and car tint.
View attachment 893303
View attachment 893304

Step 8 - Paint and Finish assembly
View attachment 893305
View attachment 893306
View attachment 893307
View attachment 893308
The Clothes were a bit harder. Looking at a reference picture, I needed to figure out each piece of the costume. The easiest parts to acquire were the glovesand boots. The rest had to be sewn from scratch using 5 yards of black pleather, some backer rod, and pyramid studs for the arms, gauntlets and around the coller.
The Shorts:
To sew the shorts, I used this video on youtube to help establish a pattern. The rest came together rather easy. Thanks C Martinez.
The Belt Buckle:
This was rather involved and I needed to know how to use blender. After some time creating, I finished with the following designs:
View attachment 893309
View attachment 893310

Pyramid studs:
I couldn't find any online the right size (3/4" x 3/4") so I made some on the 3d printer and placed a hole in the bottom to screw in an 8-32 1/4" screw. Worked nicely.
View attachment 893311
View attachment 893312
The Chest:
Basically difficult to describe but I used an old shirt as a template on the pleather and stitched along the seams. I placed a seam going up the middle of the chest and used the tie to cover all seams. The tie is sewn to one side and attached to the other with velcro.
View attachment 893313
The shoulder pads are attached via velcro and made from the same mats used in a gym (eva foam). It was a very basic design and I used heat gun to give it a curve.
Using an old underarmour shirt and wrapping the backer rod with pleather, the costume winds down to a close.
View attachment 893314
View attachment 893315
The final touch I added was a sound speaker hidden under the cape that plays "The Spinners - Spaceballs" theme song from my phone clipped to my shorts. The only problem is I might be too tall to play the part, that that's not going to stop me.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time, KEEP FIRING A**HOLES!

At the request of some RPF members, I'm sharing the STL files I used to make my costume. Some modifications may need to be made. If you used any of my files, please do me a favor and send pictures of it all done. I'd love to see it. Enjoy!
Do you have a link to all the files to print the helmet, buckle and spikes ?

Do you have a link to all the files to print the helmet, buckle and spikes ?
It was at the very end of the first post. I'll make it bigger.

"At the request of some RPF members, I'm sharing the STL files I used to make my costume. Some modifications may need to be made. If you used any of my files, please do me a favor and send pictures of it all done. I'd love to see it. Enjoy!"

you can download the rest from here:

Last edited:
Hey Moe! Just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" for this thread and your generosity with the 3d prints! I finished my helmet and working on the soft parts. Now if I can just lose six inches of height!!! :lol:
View attachment 1473308 View attachment 1473310
You are welcome and that is absolutely fantastic. If you have some screen door material laying around, you can layer the grates in the front to black it out more but great job overall and the engineering seems to look spot on as well!

Was going to try black foam to block out the grates, but like your idea better - thanks!

For the engineering for the front to flip up, I thought of the ratcheting mechanism that motorcycle helmets have for their visors to keep it in the "up" position. So took a motorcycle helmet flip up base attachment, cut it in half, and used a heat gun to straighten it to make the "arms" to hold the front. Kind of hard to put into words, so have the photo below to try to illustrate. I made cuts where the red lines are and used the two pieces marked by arrows for the mechanism, removing the snaps and straightening out the curve with a heat gun. The other tricky part was making sure no glue or whatnot got into the mechanism when I was mounting it in the helmet.

1625974555472.png

Last edited:
Springboarding off of a Halo costume I was thinking about a great halloween costume character to create and wear at parties. Weighing the pros and cons of a bunch of costumes (including buzz lightyear and the predator) I decided to settle on an old favorite movie of mine from childhood; Spaceballs. With the help of a newly acquired 3D Printer, and the knowledge gained from creating the Halo Armor, I decided to create a Dark Helmet Costume.
Step 1 - Obtain a pepakura file of the Helmet. For that, I used Dark Helmet helmet by Darkside501st. I have to give the creators of the pdo files a lot of credit for their time and effort contributed. Thank you. After resizing and printing the helmet on 100lb stock paper, it was time to start cutting and gluing. Nothing new here, just applying what I did with Halo armor below:
View attachment 893291
View attachment 893292
Used cardboard to reinforce supports. This decreases warping when applying fiberglass resin.
View attachment 893293

Step 2 - Coat with Fiberglass Resin:
View attachment 893294
View attachment 893295

Step 3 - Apply the Bondo:
View attachment 893296
View attachment 893297

Step 4 - I decided to pull part of the mask out of the PDO and use the program Blender to help turn it into a 3d print .stl file. The below was the result:
View attachment 893298
Daughter photobomb! Since the mask was too big for the printer, I split it into 3 parts. You can see the seams above. Each seam was sanded and painted smooth. When gluing the parts together, I used hot glue first, then a rondo layer over the seam and fiber tape across the seam as well. The fibers add a lot of strength.
View attachment 893299
Dry fit the pieces together. Looking good so far.

Step 5 - Now for the hard part. I need this thing to sit on my head and not my shoulders. I don't have many pictures but I should be able to give you an idea of how it was done.
I took a a hard hat that has an internal head holder like the one below:
View attachment 893300
Then cut the top of the hard hat off.
View attachment 893301
I cut along the top so that the dark helmet faceplate has a place to go when it is in the up position.
With the hard hat ready, I mounted it to the helmet making sure to place screws on the back half only.

Step 6 - Dryfit the helmet.
View attachment 893302
You can see the hinges above on either side.

Step 7 - Create tinted visors using plexiglass and car tint.
View attachment 893303
View attachment 893304

Step 8 - Paint and Finish assembly
View attachment 893305
View attachment 893306
View attachment 893307
View attachment 893308
The Clothes were a bit harder. Looking at a reference picture, I needed to figure out each piece of the costume. The easiest parts to acquire were the glovesand boots. The rest had to be sewn from scratch using 5 yards of black pleather, some backer rod, and pyramid studs for the arms, gauntlets and around the coller.
The Shorts:
To sew the shorts, I used this video on youtube to help establish a pattern. The rest came together rather easy. Thanks C Martinez.
The Belt Buckle:
This was rather involved and I needed to know how to use blender. After some time creating, I finished with the following designs:
View attachment 893309
View attachment 893310

Pyramid studs:
I couldn't find any online the right size (3/4" x 3/4") so I made some on the 3d printer and placed a hole in the bottom to screw in an 8-32 1/4" screw. Worked nicely.
View attachment 893311
View attachment 893312
The Chest:
Basically difficult to describe but I used an old shirt as a template on the pleather and stitched along the seams. I placed a seam going up the middle of the chest and used the tie to cover all seams. The tie is sewn to one side and attached to the other with velcro.
View attachment 893313
The shoulder pads are attached via velcro and made from the same mats used in a gym (eva foam). It was a very basic design and I used heat gun to give it a curve.
Using an old underarmour shirt and wrapping the backer rod with pleather, the costume winds down to a close.
View attachment 893314
View attachment 893315
The final touch I added was a sound speaker hidden under the cape that plays "The Spinners - Spaceballs" theme song from my phone clipped to my shorts. The only problem is I might be too tall to play the part, that that's not going to stop me.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time, KEEP FIRING A**HOLES!

At the request of some RPF members, I'm sharing the STL files I used to make my costume. Some modifications may need to be made. If you used any of my files, please do me a favor and send pictures of it all done. I'd love to see it. Enjoy!

any chance i can get the files for the belt please i have a printer
Sure, just take a look at the thingiverse listing. I updated it with the belt, coin and ring of the Schwartz (Downside).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back