Space 1999 Helmet

TazMan2000

Master Member
I've decided to create a new thread and not plug up the "3D Creations" thread (https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/post-pics-of-your-own-3d-creations-not-purchased.341960/0) with stuff in progress.

To recap, I quickly designed a helmet in 123D Design but wasn't satisfied with the output. The Space 1999 helmet has some complex curves. It was based off of the vintage Bell Star helmet. I believe a shell was created in fiberglass with some extra details. Everything was going well until I started designing the "scoop". I call it the scoop since it looks similar to a hood scoop off of a muscle car. You would think it would be simple enough, but putting a skin over the topology was very frustrating since the geometry would fail in once place or another, necessitating several redesigns of the geometry. It doesn't help that I'm still learning Plasticity as I go.

I started with this...a bit rough, not very accurate as to shape. If anyone has the rough measurements to the helmet, I would appreciate the input, so I can at least make it close to the same size.

Space 1999 Helmet 1.png

I corrected some tangency issues for a more smoother transition between pieces. I work on half the helmet at a time and mirror occasionally so that I can see if it still looks ok. The scoop actually has 5 holes in the front rather than an intake as in my first picture. From what I've learned so far, I hope to do a better job on the visor.
Helmet 7.png
Helmet 8.png
Helmet 9.png

TazMan2000

Good idea to start a new thread Taz. (y)(y) Difficult helmet with all of those curves. With your talent, I'm sure it'll be fantastic:cool::cool:

It's definitely a challenge for me. I've had to restart from scratch a couple of times. While Plasticity is an amazing program (for the price) it does have its issues. At the risk of sounding misogynistic, you have to treat the program right in order to get the get the results you need, much like being married. Do one thing wrong early in design, and you'll pay for it later on. :lol:

TazMan2000

A quick crappy render, but it does show the shape. Learning some of the tricks in the software. I designed the shell for the bubble visor so it could be printed as a buck for vacuforming. The holes and hinge in the visor still have to be made.

There are so many ways to do things wrong in Plasticity. I've done more than my share, but failure is the best teacher.

Helmet Shell.png

TazMan2000

Sixteen 12 Collectibles in UK had a nice run of 1999 helmets (full size, wearable) a few years ago. You might find pics of those helmets for detailed measurements. Very reasonably priced at launch but resellers have bid the prices up pretty high lately.

Sixteen 12 Collectibles in UK had a nice run of 1999 helmets (full size, wearable) a few years ago. You might find pics of those helmets for detailed measurements. Very reasonably priced at launch but resellers have bid the prices up pretty high lately.
The measurements of one of the originals was posted on David Sisson’s site. Plainly visible, but the webpage is displaying white the text on a white background, (on my browser) so I missed it. David was kind enough to reply and add a couple of more measurements which will be useful.

The original helmet has a smooth bottom, while the Sixteen 12 one has a ridge. Considering mine will be printed, I will put the ridge on mine as well for durability.

TazMan2000

Looking good, Taz. I knew David would be able to help you out. Any plans for a full suit - or at least the hard surface parts?

No plans for that, but since basically it is rather a simple box type design with filleted edges, it wouldn't be that hard to crank out.

TazMan2000

On my 3rd attempt. I simplified the "mohawk" vent and made a vacuform buck for the visor, but I'm not 100% satisfied with the curvature so I may redo that. Details and filleting edges still have to be done. I wasn't satisfied for the armature on the visor so I redid that as well.

Visor Buck.png
Redo1.png

TazMan2000

Good afternoon,
I love a good Space:1999 helmet. Been working on one for a few years now. Tazman, your work speaks for itself. I'll be watching this one intently. I can't wait.
Cheers,
Kevin

I finally got around to printing off the helmet parts. I was playing around with the layer heights in the slicer settings and haven't tuned the 0.8mm nozzle yet. Things seem to fit well together. When it gets a bit warmer outside I'll start post-processing.

Printed 1.jpg
Printed 2.jpg

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back