Unlimited Run Slothfurnace's ESB/ROTJ V2 Clampcards

Really stupid question here. Are these boards double sided? ROTJ on one side and ESB on the other?

Still hoping for an answer to the above question to help me make up my mind...

I'll partially quote a buddy of mine who works in electrical engineering:

"there was no silver solder back then unless maybe in some medical equipment for soldering thru hole. Plating back then was made out of tin, usually hot laminated (no chemical deposit) which produces an uneven surface and bumps. Take any PCB from the mid 70's to the mid 80's and that's what you'll see.
The gold deposit (electrochemical, most likely) is for mechanical contact strength for multiple insertion / removal of the card." - Erv Plecter

The reason I silver solder these when they come in, is to provide visual contrast that was apparent in the original cards. Mass production methods of making these are no longer available as they were in the 70s and 80s.

Really stupid question here. Are these boards double sided? ROTJ on one side and ESB on the other?

Yes, they are.

Still hoping for an answer to the above question to help me make up my mind...

Silver solder is used to hold components onto PCB's. Depending on the process used, components are either placed and soldered by a robot, placed and soldered by a human, or placed by a robot and then the entire board is tracked across a molten silver bath. The general circuit lines are silver to increase conductivity, and the green PCB layer does not always cover these lines fully around the edges.

Yes, these silver lines would not be atypical from the real vintage piece.

Is your ESB side more screen accurate than Roy's?
I'll let you know my highly personal opinion once I have got gold-plated cards from both of them. ;)

I think that it is not that easy to see which finish is correct before you have it mounted on a lightsaber in front of your own eyes next to some reference images.

I was wondering more about the color of the actual board itself, should've been more specific, sorry!

Roy's is a light brown/beige and Sloth's is green.

Has it been confirmed which board color is correct?

Shipment arrived, sir... They seem to pass inspection.
020.jpg

As in these two photos, lighting and surrounding colors really affect the way the gold and the card material look. Some scenes, they're lighter than others.

019.jpg

You be the judge, but I think they're as close to accurate as I can make them.

Also, they're here!

http://www.arduinix.com/Main/Store.htm Refresh the store page if it looks out of stock. I promise, they're available as of 7/14/2015

Something that came up with one of my customers, international orders MAY INCUR CUSTOMS OR IMPORT FEES. I have no control over this, unfortunately, and it is against my policy to falsify the contents of the package when I send it out. Not that anyone here has asked me to do that, but I get that request from time to time selling nixie clock bits. Just thought it was a good idea to mention it here as well.

I ordered enough to hopefully not run out in less than 6 hours like last time, so when I get low, I'll make another order.

Thanks all!
-Brad

Ok, everyone as of last night who ordered PLAIN ONLY, your cards are bagged up and ready to mail, I just need to print postage and drop them off at the post office.

Everyone who ordered a soldering option, it takes time to hand solder each one of these things, and the solder option is overwhelmingly popular, so I have a lot of soldering to do tonight and tomorrow night. Your cards should be in the mail to you no later than Saturday morning, hopefully sooner.

Got about 30 left from this shipment. Once I get a little lower, I'll order another batch, but these things are going surprisingly fast. If I run out again, don't worry, I'll place another order, there might just be delays.

Again, thank you all, real glad to do this, real happy you're enjoying your cards.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back