HonorableWhat

Jr Member
first off im not sure if this is the correct thread to put this one at but hopefully it is, im still rather new to the site and am still awestruck by the wealth of knowledge obtainable here haha.

I recently purchased a silicone hellboy mask....... i love it ouo so much easier thn applying all the makeup like i used to. Sure i still got to a little bit which is fine i enjoy the little bit i do.

My question is care tips? I wanna have this mask last years and any small tips i can get will be worth my weight in gold.
For info i plan to keep this mask on a foam head display in a glass display case with all my other hellboy props as well as a couple comics...... i love the comics and character haha.

So yeah things like should i apply baby powder before and after use, what things are safe to use to clean it, should i keep it out of sunlight. Things like that. This is my first silicone anything so no info is negligable in my ears ^-^ thnk you.

I have a decent collection of Silicone masks. There is mixed opinion on the Baby Powder, but most of the professional Silicone Mask makers that I deal with say Don't... its a throwback to Latex masks and not necessary for Silicone. Mild soap and water are recommended for cleaning, Make sure your headform is properly sized for the mask, and take care putting it on and taking it off... most people rip the masks putting them on or off the headforms it seems. CFX makes a good headform, and compared to the cost of Silicone Masks they are cheap. I bought a few cheap busts off Amazon to use, but they are a bit big by comparison, and needed a lot of cleanup and sanding so the seam line would not cut the mask.

Who made your Hellboy? And do you have pics? I've seen a few from a couple different mask makers... always interested.

I have a decent collection of Silicone masks. There is mixed opinion on the Baby Powder, but most of the professional Silicone Mask makers that I deal with say Don't... its a throwback to Latex masks and not necessary for Silicone. Mild soap and water are recommended for cleaning, Make sure your headform is properly sized for the mask, and take care putting it on and taking it off... most people rip the masks putting them on or off the headforms it seems. CFX makes a good headform, and compared to the cost of Silicone Masks they are cheap. I bought a few cheap busts off Amazon to use, but they are a bit big by comparison, and needed a lot of cleanup and sanding so the seam line would not cut the mask.

Who made your Hellboy? And do you have pics? I've seen a few from a couple different mask makers... always interested.
oneailfx studio are making it. It hasnt arrived yet i just wanted to learn as much knowledge on care before it arrived as its a rather expensive mask and i would cry if it left. There will be some minor differences in mine compared to the one on site such as mine will have the horns colored more film accurate. You can see pics of their base model on their site ^-^
One Hell of a Boy!
Thank you for the info and if you think up any other precautions for this mask in particular let me know please

I have two of Jeremy's masks. They are pretty decent for Low Pricepoint masks. Hes a good guy too.

I have two of Jeremy's masks. They are pretty decent for Low Pricepoint masks. Hes a good guy too.
Yeah hes been very good with answering any questions ive had with the masks production and any “nonstock” mods i wanted haha.
Low pricepoint mask o-o 500 dollars is low pricepoint o-o

Low pricepoint mask o-o 500 dollars is low pricepoint o-o

Some Silicone masks run in the thousands, and Jeremy's masks start in the 300.00 range. The Average from Places like CFX and Immortal start around 650... So I do consider Onieal FX "cheap" by comparison... LOL!

I paid 360 for my Darth Maul from him (It was a custom painted Papa Ghost, no Horns... I like to think I inspired him to Release his Maul Mask.) compared with the $1100.00 quote I got from CFX to do a Maul for me... But yea, Silicone masks by and large are an expensive hobby. :D

Another thought, that isn't so much about care as display... don't use a cheap styrofoam head for your mask, they tend to be too small, and the Mask will be droopy. Also since most silicone masks have a "bib" you will find yourself tucking it under or trying to lay it flat. My advice is to invest in a Silicone Mask display form. They tend to run under 50 Bucks and you can get them from places like CFX Masks, Immortal Masks and others...

Another thought, that isn't so much about care as display... don't use a cheap styrofoam head for your mask, they tend to be too small, and the Mask will be droopy. Also since most silicone masks have a "bib" you will find yourself tucking it under or trying to lay it flat. My advice is to invest in a Silicone Mask display form. They tend to run under 50 Bucks and you can get them from places like CFX Masks, Immortal Masks and others...
Ah i see thanks. Yeah this will be a center display along with my other props so i do want it to look good so a head designed for silicone sounds like a good idea

And for Wearability, if you want good fitment around the mouth (when you get hot and start to sweat the mouths tend to slip) the question always comes up about ways to attach the mask safely to your skin. Since almost nothing sticks to silicone, things like spirit gum are basically useless, but there is a really good product that is 100% safe for the mask called Telesys. Use it in conjunction with supersolv to remove it, and it will improve your experience if you wear the mask for a long period of time without harming the mask.

And for Wearability, if you want good fitment around the mouth (when you get hot and start to sweat the mouths tend to slip) the question always comes up about ways to attach the mask safely to your skin. Since almost nothing sticks to silicone, things like spirit gum are basically useless, but there is a really good product that is 100% safe for the mask called Telesys. Use it in conjunction with supersolv to remove it, and it will improve your experience if you wear the mask for a long period of time without harming the mask.
thanks yeah i had wondered about that. ive used prothetics before and just used spiritgum but never used it on silicone and was wondering what to use

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back