Silicone mask core guidance

ERen89

Mask makers, I am looking to dive into silicone mask making this year. I did latex last year and was very successful. I just need some guidance for the one and only..... core.

For coming up with your core for silicone mask casting, would this left, more rough headform work? I have my life cast on the right, and i happened to have this other form that was already a bit smaller than the actual life cast. (It only looks larger in the photo)

Does not having prominent facial features matter? I'll be adding a mouth for the lip cupping. But i was not sure what other facial features generally are reduced in size for a core. From what I understand, any undercuts are to be removed from the initial life cast. Which, as you can see, isn't much of an issue on the left one.

And in addition to this, should I sculpt on the core or is it ok to sculpt on the full sized life cast as long as I use a modified version as a core?

Attachments

• 20230927_180214.jpg
    20230927_180214.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:
If you have your own lifecast that would be the way to go. The one in the left has no defined features, I wouldn´t use that one.
You should sculpt on the lifecast that will be the core of the mold. You can shave down the areas around the mouth and the eyes to get a tighter fit. It might involve some trial and error.
Using your own lifecast will ensure a better fit, should be almost perfect. Another thing would be if you are after a generic fit, which is another story with a lot of trial and error if you make it.

Last edited:
If you have your own lifecast that would be the way to go. The one in the left has no defined features, I wouldn´t use that one.
You should sculpt on the lifecast that will be the core of the mold. You can shave down the areas around the mouth and the eyes to get a tighter fit. It might involve some trial and error.
Using your own lifecast will ensure a better fit, should be almost perfect. Another thing would be if you are after a generic fit, which is another story with a lot of trial and error if you make it.
Fortunately this is just for me, and i dont need a generic fit. Do I need to reduce the overall head size or just those key areas (eyes, mouth, ears etc)?

Fortunately this is just for me, and i dont need a generic fit. Do I need to reduce the overall head size or just those key areas (eyes, mouth, ears etc)?
As it´s your own lifecast you will be very close to a good fit as I see it. In first instance you could just shave down mouth the mouth/eyes area or you could just try it as it is. In any case not more than that as adding will always be more difficult that shaving sown.
This involves some trial/error, no other way as I see it.
All this said, if the lifecast is ok and accurate,

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back