Show your custom Lightsabers!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by GreenCircleCube, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bengrim09

Bengrim09 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

mmmmmm very nice, very nice indeed

2. scide

scide Jr Member

This is a shiny one! Nice work!
    Guess you’ll have to wear gloves when enjoying these. :cool

3. lukold

lukold Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yea it's crazy! I had to keep wiping it before I put on gloves. Worth the effort just to see it.

scide likes this.
  4. connor645

connor645 New Member

Does anyone know if ASP or TCSS parts will fit onto flash handles?

5. SethS

SethS Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

With some trickery, yes. Can you just pop them on? No.

I have several sabers in these pages that use both.

6. connor645

connor645 New Member

Right on, what sort of trickery have you used in the past?

7. SethS

Here's a few I have been meaning to share...

This one is based on a Presslite flash. The lower 3/4 is the Presslite, I've just reconfigured the stock parts. I also added t-track, and a Roman's Graflex repro clamp with a TCSS edge card.

The neck/emitter is a TCSS pommel. I used plumber's silicone tape on the threads until it was the perfect thickness to tension fit inside the flash tube. The emitter/shroud is from a Canon Y, and is affixed with epoxy.

press1.jpg
    press2.jpg press3.jpg

This stealthy saber is (from top down), some rando eBay bad Luke V2 repro emitter and neck, an end cap from an underwater Nikon flashgun with some washers, a 1/4 camera tripod lock washer, a screen door roller wheel, an old Parks MPP clamp, then a TCSS body, TCSS pommel, another roller wheel, and a nylon lock nut.

This one is built using the Obi-Wan method, everything is on a 1/4" 20 pitch rod. You can get them at any hardware store. 1/4" 20 is great, there are tons of common hard ware parts that use it that you can use for greeblie details, and it also is what most camera equipment uses for tripod mounts, which is universal to most flashguns.

So that nylon twist knob nut thinger at the bottom is the base of the rod, and inside the emitter is another 1/4" nut. You put everything on the rod and tighten both ends and everything is pressure locked unto place.

stealth1.jpg
    stealth2.jpg

This one also uses a rod assembly. Top down, it's a Heiland stubby shroud on a neck made up of rando hardware plumbing department finds, then a trio of roller door wheels. The lower body is a TCCS f to f coupler and one of their blade holders/emitters that I used upside down. The pommel is a plastic chromed AS handwheel. The d-ring is a 1/4" tripod knob.

DBHeiland1.jpg
    DBHeiland2.jpg

So basically, starting at the bottom, I use that tripod d-ring through the handwheel. On the inside of the wheel, I use an f to f 1/4" 20 adapter (see below). The tripod knob into one side, the rod into the other.

From there I start stacking the parts over the rod. They will be loose and drift at first. Sometimes using washers between parts helps. The roller wheels work as washers and also look great.

At the top, I slipped a part from a hard drive over the rid and tightened it down with two of the nylon nuts to make the emitter.

Hope that makes sense. It's a great base to build on. See my box below that;'s full of 1/4" 20 parts. All hardware store finds, greeblies found off old flashguns or photogear surplus, and Home Depot finds It's also pretty easy to drill a hole down the center of the guts in most flashed to run a rod through.

onequarter.jpg

8. connor645

connor645 New Member

Those are fantastic! I've never considered using a rod assembly before.

Here is my first ever saber. Made it using a Walz flash and some other found parts from around the house. I'm still not sure if I want to add grips or not..

Attached Files:

SethS likes this.
  9. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

#bubblestrips4life

AnubisGuard likes this.
  10. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

vztc6Bw.gif

SethS likes this.
  11. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

60D9202F-8515-4971-A2CD-D47328945184.png My Stealth saber build made it onto a one sheet for the Star Wars Pilot I worked on recently. They did decide to remove the shroud but still psyched about it!

Nemesis9, Dann and scide like this.
  12. eethan

eethan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

still looking great ! especially with this kind of professional picture (y)

Panaflex likes this.
  13. Reel Fakes

Reel Fakes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Since I can never leave well enough alone, I'm constantly updating my props.
    Here is the current state of my custom sabers:

RF_Customs_Jan_2019.jpg

3 CELL PO, CT1138 and Bengrim09 like this.
  14. Reel Fakes

A few more pics:

Padawan_01.jpg Padawan_02.jpg Padawan_01.jpg Padawan_02.jpg Knight_03.jpg Knight_01.jpg Knight_02.jpg Master_01.jpg

thd9791, SethS, CT1138 and 1 other person like this.
  15. SethS

Those are great-- is mostly custom?

16. Reel Fakes

Found parts, spare parts, and scratch-built parts. These have been evolving for years. :)

17. Nemesis9

Nemesis9 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My favorite custom

Attached Files:

18. lukold

lukold Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just finished our Slimflex run, enjoy these pics!
    49898690_1198142593671560_7696501241752322048_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

49716154_1198142617004891_7521132422772031488_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

49620936_1198142640338222_8713319192708775936_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.jpg

Shingouki28 and CT1138 like this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Ooooo! Shiney! :cool:

20. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I guess this counts, I forgot about this thread
    Zeiss1.jpeg Zeiss2.jpeg

SethS likes this.
  21. jorgen

jorgen New Member

A 3D printed and freshly painted Obi Wan saber for my 5 year old. The saber will have electronics soon.

IMG_3111.JPG

CT1138 and BipeFlyer like this.
  22. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

Very nice weathering job!

23. Reel Fakes

Here's one I've been tinkering with for a couple weeks:

Attached Files:

SethS and BipeFlyer like this.
  24. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Oh, that looks nice. Parts list? I recognize the Heiland clamp, but that's about it.

SethS likes this.
  25. Reel Fakes

There’s part of a Heiland clamp, a WannaWanga Kobold clip, and some old school rubber grips. The textured section is patterned ABS sheet. The main body is part of a small lamp which provides the threaded tube which runs through the entire saber. The bottom is a bearing of some sort from a surplus store, the top section is a piece of machined aluminum from the same store. Everything else is stuff I had in my parts box. Most everything I used was at least slightly modified.

AnubisGuard likes this.
  26. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So last year I was FINALLY able to acquire both a Canon Model Y and a Model X. And now just recently I've finally had an opportunity to work on them.

I started with the Model Y first - there was more pulling apart/cutting and tinkering to be done with that one, so I thought I'd get the busy work out of the way before the easy conversion of the Model X.

Of course the first problem to sort was a bottom tube. I picked up a Canon Model B-II flash thinking (hoping) that it would be the same diameter. It was (y) The finish of the B was different than the Y, but I wasn't too worried about that, since most of the tube would be covered in T-tracks anyway - I had envisioned using 7 grips, or maybe even 8, depending upon how they spaced out (I ended up using 8 grips).

The next task was to cut the tube to length. I used a pipe cutter to score a straight line and then followed that score line around and around and around the diameter of the tube with a jeweler's saw. It took a while, since the walls of the tube were surprisingly thick.

Canon Y 01.jpg Canon Y 02.jpg

I had originally intended to cut out the same kind of slots that the bottom tube of the Model X has, but after discovering how thick the walls of the B tube were I quickly abandoned that idea. Instead, I ground down the square studs on the inside of the clamp so that I could simply slide the bottom tube straight in - no muss, no fuss. There is no reason why I would ever have to take the thing back apart, so I decided that I would secure the bottom tube inside the clamp with a bit of JB Kwik epoxy.

Canon Y 03.jpg Canon Y 04.jpg Canon Y 05.jpg

I removed the bulb housing/reflector mount to see what sort of internal "guts" I would have to deal with at the emitter end. I wanted to leave the micro-sync dial on the back of the flash and its internal mounting frame intact, so that didn't leave me any room for an emitter socket. I decided that a shallow emitter face would be my best bet, much like what I ended up with on my DeMornay-Budd saber. I wanted to keep the rim of the bulb housing so I sawed that off with the jeweler's saw and then sanded down the face. Due to an oddity in its design, the hole was slightly off-center - I corrected that by enlarging the hole a tiny bit and it ended up being exactly 1 inch in diameter.

Canon Y 06.jpg Canon Y 07.jpg

Digging around in my saber parts box I found a model kit wheel that I had intended to use at some point in the past, since it was already painted and ready to go - it measured exactly 1 inch in diameter. What are the odds of THAT?! It was obviously meant to be. However, with the wheel in place, the black plastic rim really looked like a tire.

Canon Y 08.jpg

Clearly the rim needed to be painted...

Canon Y 09.jpg

Much better!

I also picked up a couple Heiland stubby shrouds to use. They were both well-used and pretty beat - after sandblasting the wrinkle paint off, some serious casting flaws were revealed.

Canon Y 10.jpg

That was a bit of a bummer, as I had hoped to leave them with a bare metal sandblasted finish. Instead, I filled the flaws with Bondo and primed & painted them both.

Canon Y 11.jpg

Next I taped off the Canon logo on the clamp with a strip of aluminum tape. I've had a roll of silver mylar tape for years, but it wasn't quite wide enough to cover all of the various text on the clamp. I trimmed down an old slothfurnace card from the parts box and slid that into the slot.

Canon Y 12.jpg

The grips were 5-inch lengths from wannawanga that I trimmed down a bit - turns out Canons are a tad longer than a Graflex. The last step was installing a D-ring from the parts box with a button head socket screw.

And done!

Canon Y 13.jpg Canon Y 14.jpg Canon Y 15.jpg Canon Y 16.jpg

Next up, the Model X...

27. SethS

Always love a Canon saber

28. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Too bad the Canon isn't canon. That is nice!

thd9791 likes this.
  29. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:lol: I had that conversation with one of the guys at work - "It isn't canon to Star Wars, but it *is* a Canon!"

30. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

31. Reel Fakes

It’s from one of the many cameras that I’ve taken apart over the years. Sorry - I don’t know which one.

Ridire Firean likes this.
  32. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

Reminds of the Kylo concept art saber.

33. LordJossis

LordJossis Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Machined a custom Kotor style lightsaber to go with my cosplay, a concept Asajj Ventress hilt (center), and a Sith Assassin double bladed saber (had RGB leds in both blades). Also wired by me using various Plecter Labs boards, but etched by ShadowCrestSabers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Which do you prefer?

Raw aluminum 3 cell Mag lite conversion or red anodized 2 cell Maglite conversion? I also have a blue 4 cell at home not pictured I can use for the grip. I'm thinking of using that one for a double bladed Saber or as a Saber pike.

I have rubber T-track grips inbound. Eventually I'll mold the aluminum tracks I own, but for now I'm just bought a set from the Custom Saber Shop.
    1551334130992311634336.jpg 15513342364701414559179.jpg

Blade is also getting purchased from the CSS. Red thick wall with bullet tip.

Eventually I'll add a sound card and speaker.

thd9791 likes this.
  35. SethS

I have a few thousand customs to share, but this one is my current fav...

Attached Files:

SolosHold, thd9791 and AnubisGuard like this.
  36. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

The design is great, but the edge of that cutout is super rough. I have got to train you in the art of Dremel-fu. :lol:

There's a bunch of sabers on my workbench that I swear I'm going to finish up, photograph, and post soon. Soon I tell you!

37. SethS

YOU'RE super rough! :mad:

I took these before I sanded it and then colored the edge with a sharpie...

AnubisGuard likes this.
  38. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

Everyone who knows me knows I'm a real macho tough guy. ;)

39. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hey Kovnyn ! I like the raw aluminum better overall, but it needs a bit of dressing up yet. Right now it looks rather plain to me, but I bet with a black ring around it, or a set of grip strips, or some sort of pseudo-clamp, that it will look the part just fine.

The anodized red, and please don't take this as insult, but the first two things the that pop into mind are: road flare, and... dollar store flashlight. It just doesn't look like a lightsaber at all in the red. Again, maybe with some accoutrements it will read more like a lightsaber.

Have you left the flashlight guts intact? It'd be kinda neat to have a focusing emitter head for the times you didn't have a blade in the hilt. Almost a defacto blade plug in a way.

Looking forward to seeing how you finish it off!

40. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

1551516686948872055920.jpg
    Got some weathering and t track grips added. Removed the rubber switch cover to give the switch a better look. Blade will be here later today.

15515168193701292014455.jpg

Light source is just the LED replacement bulb, so the focusing cone had to go. I'll be making a blade plug out of the blade, since I have to cut it down anyway.

Ridire Firean likes this.
  41. mechx

mechx Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My orgus :)

Attached Files:

Reel Fakes and BipeFlyer like this.
  42. Reel Fakes

43. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

And instantly it looks SO much cooler! And not like a flashlight at all. Who would've guessed the underside of that button looked so STARWARSY?

It's lookin' good, keep at it!

44. BipeFlyer

BipeFlyer Active Member

An elegant weapon for a more civilized time. Beautiful!

mechx likes this.
  45. mechx

mechx Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thank you! Yeah she is a beauty.

46. SaiyanCookie

SaiyanCookie New Member

Just finished my first custom build. Simple, to be used as a test saber for Proffie. Inspired by General Kota!
    20190303_183307.jpg 20190303_183752.jpg

47. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

What light source did you use for your custom?

I can't ever seem to get even fill.

48. SaiyanCookie

SaiyanCookie New Member

If that question was for me then my blade is neopixel. Made it myself following the tutorial from TCSS

49. ed-209

ed-209 Sr Member

50. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

I haven't taken the Neopixel plunge yet, but that is on the list for an eventual build.

Have a bunch of internal parts ordered from The Custom Saber Shop that will eventually get a Nano Biscotte. The hilt itself will cost over a hundred dollars, and the internals will be even more. It's an addiction.

But having a quality sound card installed makes the Saber. Plus, I dig LEDs and little electronics projects like this are quite enjoyable.

xl97 likes this.