Have we reached critical-mass on Graflex's again?

James Kenobi 1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I remember when I first got into Lightsaber replicas in the early 2000s there were no Graflex replicas. If you wanted to build a Luke Skywalker lightsaber you had to buy a real Graflex either off ebay, a camera shop (who at that time may not have known what they had), or an antique store (again, the dealer not realizing what they actually had).

In the early 2000s I remember the price for a real Graflex being $300-$500 depending on quality. Because the wide-use of the internet was much smaller back then many people simply didn't know a Graflex was the base for Luke's lightsaber and sometimes you would find ebay auctions for a Graflex listed for next-to-nothing because it was listed as an 'antique camera flash' or 'Grayflex' or 'old camera parts' but that was still the exception and not the rule.

I wasn't able to afford a real Graflex at first but then the prices seems to go down and I paid $200-$300 for my first 2 Graflexs'. Then came the replicas: Larbel, Parks, Graflex Reborn, and Biskit. Some were amazing (Parks), some were okay (GR and Biskit), and some were acceptable (Larbel) but they were all less than $200. I got 2X Larbels and then 2X Parks and sold all but one Larbel.

From 2005 to 2014 prices of real Graflexs steadily dropped over time despite the internet getting wider and more and more people becoming aware of the Graflex (sellers and buyers). Parks was selling his replicas directly plus other saber builders/sellers were selling his version as well as a few other's getting into the Graflex replica business (including Roman IIRC). Because of the strong presence of awesome, accurate replica Graflexs available in early 2014 you could get a real Graflex in good shape off ebay for $300 or less. It was a great time to be a SW fan and a lightsaber builder.

Then the first 'The Force Awakens' trailer dropped including that shot of Maz handing Leia her brothers lightsaber, and within 24 hours there were 2-3 dozen real Graflex's on ebay for $1000 or more, some listed/selling for thousands of dollars. I think I remember seeing one sell for around $6000 and many listed for $3000. Real Graflex's were still uncommon and hard to come by so ebay was the place and if you wanted one you had to pay the asking price and the price stayed between $800-$1200 for a few years.

Now though it seems like we're finally reached a critical mass with Graflex's. More and more people are into LED sabers (neo-pixel, proffie, base lit CREE, etc..) and there are dozens of sites selling empty hilts or fully installed Graflex lightsabers. You have replica makers like Roman, Parks, KR Sabers, 89sabers, TCCS, JQ Sabers, and more all making/selling Graflex replicas.

You don't know about all of these custom shops but you want a lightsaber just like Luke or Rey? You can always buy a Graflex saber made by Hasbro (FX LED) or Disney Parks/Galaxy's Edge.

There will always be people who want the real thing, the real deal, a real Graflex, but many people just want a Graflex style lightsaber and in 2023 the market is flooded. With all the information available and resources, variety of sellers, and variety of replica Graflex's available, will the prices of real Graflex's ever go back up over $300 for units in good, nice shape excluding near-mint Folmers sold in communities like the RPF?

Last edited:
When I started buying Graflexes, maybe around 2009-2010, my first one was 170$ and it was "expensive". I sold it fully converted for around 230-250€. Then, one week later the new EVII was out and everything bumped for 600-800$. I felt like an ******* then. At least I sold it so I could buy a ticket flight to meet what is now my wife and mother of my children.

When I started buying Graflexes, maybe around 2009-2010, my first one was 170$ and it was "expensive

Same. I got mine around the mid-late 2000's and it was about 175, if I remember correctly. Grafelx Inc. and not in pristine condition. Still have it and love it.

It seems most things are going this way, where more is available for all niches and the "critical mass" is reached sooner. Sites like the RPF are partly responsible as a resource for information, and with more accessible 3D modelling tools and larger manufacturing capabilities for the common man made more available, of course these things are going plateau at some point. People may not want or can afford the "real" things and something that's "good enough" or an accurate replica is readily available, so that interest in having something as close to the real thing shrinks even more; becomes even more niche. This instant gratification also comes with a diminishing of awareness of the amount of effort that goes into making/researching whatever prop that's meant to satisfy that particular niche. I found this out with my Lineage Cast ANH Stunt run. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to have someone say they're committed to a run, a run that I have to make from the ground up, and then last-minute pull out and leaving me high and dry. These people, despite the cataloging of info and research, and the walls of text written to describe exactly what this project or item is and where it came from, they have no idea or care for it. They just want it now and mistakenly believe this is something that's just always going to be available. And if not, there's always going to be a cheaper and more readily available replica that can light up and make noises.

There's always going to be a small group that wants the thing that was on set, or the closest facsimile to it, but those prices will plateau when there's decent replicas of them available, and that's always due to demand or interest in it that particular thing.

Last edited:
I found this out with my Lineage Cast ANH Stunt run.

I'll conceit that maybe $300 was a little low, but I see so many really nice Graflex's in the JY that either never sell, take forever to sell, or have price drop after price drop before they finally sell. I don't check everyday but when I do look at ebay these days at completed auctions I definitely see a lot of Graflex's sell below $600 and, depending on quality, less than $400.

I see the same with Luke ROTJ replicas. How many awesome Luke ROTJ replicas are there available? How many different makers have or are producing amazing Luke ROTJ replicas? The market is flooded with quality stock at every price point.

It seems like the trend in the last 5-10 years is someone creates a Luke ROTJ, releases it, and then a few years later makes their saber more accurate using new info and makes another run. Some people upgrade and sell off their older version and I've seen the older saber sell for as low as $175 and sometimes less then that.

Between multiple makers and an abundance of supply there are so many good Graflex replicas out there to 'scratch that itch' and it makes it easy for someone to get a Graflex without spending a fortune or waiting forever for prices to come down. Competition regulates the prices.

I'll admit, back in 2001 when I was lusting after real vintage Graflex's on ebay and not being able to afford one if Parks/Roman/KR replicas were available for +/- $200 and I could have just bought at a fixed price from a website I'm not sure I would have ever bought a real Graflex via ebay auction. Back then I wanted a real Graflex because 1) it was all that was available and 2) everyone else had one and I wanted to be in the 'Graflex Club' too.

I feel like the desire to own a real Graflex can be high for many people, but for some people once they get an almost exact perfect replica for 1/3 the price their desire to actually spend a ton of money for the real deal goes down significantly and they may never make that purchase. Low demand and high supply leads to low prices.

I wish the prices would come down in vintage MPPs! I remember when I first got into this, if you could find one, the price was several thousand dollars. Then, between 2006 and 2010 I managed to get a couple for around $1k or so. The prices seemed to settle around there for a bit.

Of course I just wasn't happy with the flashes I had, so I sold them figuring I found some once, I'll find some more again. Well I still haven't been able to find one I like for a price I could live with and now the prices are getting to ridiculous levels again. For any vintage parts, really. Don't even get me started on Obi ANH parts. So glad I got most of what I needed before those prices went insane.

MPPs and Obi parts are still low supply, high demand causing high prices. Graflex’s are the opposite, a good supply (easier to get) and low demand (lots of replicas) driving prices down.

I remember when you could get a good vintage MPP for less than $2000, usually around $1000. I do kinda wish now I had bought one at that price but I’m still happy with my Larbel’s and Parks replicas.

Last edited:
I’ll be honest, I can’t find a realistic supply/demand pattern for Graflex prices. It’s hype. It’s price gouging in some cases. It’s one of those “free market economy” things that also allows for abuse.

I think we have reached a critical mass at this point, the novelty of Ep VII showing the world a Graflex has worn off and they don’t seem as special. Replica Graflexes have gone up in price so I’m not sure what effect that will have.

Single parts are still being listed for 2/3 the price of a whole unit, which I feel to be a stain on the community. I don’t know if they sell, but that price hasn’t changed in quite some time.

MPPs and Obi parts are still low supply, high demand causing high prices...
I remember when you could get a good vintage MPP for less than $2000, usually around $1000. I do kinda wish now I had bought one at that price but I’m still happy with my Larbel’s and Parks replicas.

I don't think I've ever seen a vintage MPP sold for anything less than 1.5k, and that's not saying if it has the correct port hole details, endcap, or shroud. That's just one thing I've written off as something I'll never get myself. I managed to snag a working Parks from the Junkyard not too long ago and that more than satisfies my itch of having an MPP, especially with all the great replica parts made available for it. In my eyes, it's just as good as having the real deal.

As far as Obi ANH parts go, I always ask myself, "Do I want a full vintage hilt, or do I want to pay for my house?" That tends to put things into perspective for me.

I won the bidding 2 weeks ago on a very nice original 3-Cell Graflex (missing only the red button) for $350.00. I was actually the only bidder???

I thought for sure I would not win the bidding. There was a bunch of extra Graflex camera related stuff with it, and I asked the seller if he could send me just the flash and manual (and offer me free shipping) and keep the other stuff. He agreed.

Over the years (decades actually) I've bought Graflex flashes, kept the nicer parts to upgrade my collection and then sell the lesser grade parts.

Nothing beats a real, genuine vintage Graflex flash! Any Lightsaber collector should have one original in their collection!

- Jim

MPPs and Obi parts are still low supply, high demand causing high prices. Graflex’s are the opposite, a good supply (easier to get) and low demand (lots of replicas) driving prices down.

True about the scarcity, but let's be honest, there are also people charging a premium because there's always someone who will want it so bad that they'll pay. Watching people pay premium prices for grenades that are in horrible shape is just one thing about this hobby that makes me cringe when I see it.

I have to admit that when TFA came out I sold one I had for a princely sum! It might be heresy, but I'm cool with a replica. I'm hoping I still find that stupidly low priced Graflex sitting at a flea market at some point.

BTW, I have a Graflex replica, I think it's the one Larbel did. It had an old light up blade with a big stereo plug (plasma blade?), and then it has a round plug that you put in the hilt when not using the light up blade. Does that sound right for a Larbel?

I have to admit that when TFA came out I sold one I had for a princely sum! It might be heresy, but I'm cool with a replica. I'm hoping I still find that stupidly low priced Graflex sitting at a flea market at some point.

BTW, I have a Graflex replica, I think it's the one Larbel did. It had an old light up blade with a big stereo plug (plasma blade?), and then it has a round plug that you put in the hilt when not using the light up blade. Does that sound right for a Larbel?

I'm with you. It's cool that many people want the vintage flashes, but I won't pay that much for one and would be too afraid to use it. I own fan made replicas. Far less expensive and typically easier to install. While I can understand the scarcity of vintage parts, it's insane to me how much some of them go for. I'd much rather have a fan made replica for literally a fraction of the cost of the real part. Plus buying the replicas means I can afford to collect a few more pieces than I normally would be able to had I spent say, $10,000, on a real parts Kenobi saber. I don't think my entire collection costs that much. The replica pieces you can buy now are on par with the real world item used to make the prop. Financially I could never justify the expense of the real article. I know some fans require the fidelity, but I'm not one of them.

True about the scarcity, but let's be honest, there are also people charging a premium because there's always someone who will want it so bad that they'll pay. Watching people pay premium prices for grenades that are in horrible shape is just one thing about this hobby that makes me cringe when I see it.
Exactly for obi hilt, I really do not think it is worthwhile paying sky high for vintage parts (e.g. grenade) that would not be faithful to the shape/condition of the actual prop due to surface/shape degradation. Faithful replica trumps bad vintage parts anytime in my view.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back