I'm having an existential re-think of my Lightsaber collection

I went through the same thought process a just a few years ago. I ended up selling about 25 MR LE & SE lightsaber and helmet props and haven't regretted it at all. I replaced about half of the collection with unlicensed items including several kits that I built. MR items are great but for me storing all the paraphernalia that came with each was taking up a lot of space and that was a consideration as well.

Letting my first MR item go was the hardest, after that I was happy to sell them all and enjoyed the kits I picked up to replace a few. I never touched the MR props because I viewed them as museum pieces and now, I enjoy picking up and letting others handle the fan made props.
Overall, no wrong decision, do what makes you happy. I'll be curious to read the path you choose.

This conversation continues to be more interesting than I would have thought over what seemed a simple question.:unsure:

I love the MR I was able to re-acquire. I love the later non MR I got as well.

I would never sell my MR or EFX Luke Reveal, but as is the case with everyone else, space is a huge problem. I never considered how much space the MR take up with the cases. I still love them, but I really never thought of that. (y)

For me there is a love with certain props of the past.

One example is the Don Post Deluxe Vader helmet. I had one. I loved it so much. Low number, which in this case did make a diifference. Perfect original reversed paint job. Sanitized by Don Post. The non crisp center stripe was the biggest problem for me. Despite that I loved that helmet and wanted it so bad when it came out. I acquired it years later after the problems with it were known and more accurate helmets were out or coming. I still just loved it and despite having much more accurate Vader helmets now I really wish I could have that back.

I was unable at the time to acquire the Icon sabers as well, but I will need to add them to my lotto list as I would love to have those as well.

In the words of the great Sean Connery, "It's never enough,"

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is if MR's inaccuracies are more important than the historical significance of them from a collecting standpoint. I regret selling a lot of my MR replicas- at one time I've owned most of the blasters and a good number of sabers. All I really have left are Vader's ANH, Solo's Elite DL44, Star Trek 5 Phaser and the Aliens Motion Tracker. (In terms of sabers I also have a Larbel Luke ESB and a Luke ROTJ that I machined myself.)

With the current state of Star Wars, Trek and other franchises, as well as the way current props are made and regarded, we're not likely to ever see a Master Replicas pop up again.

In some ways, having been a fan (and collector) through that era was as significant as having experienced the OT and ST as 'cultural phenomena'.

When you walk past your MRs, do they still make you smile? would newer replica of the same item make you smile as much, or feel as special?

What immediately came to mind when I read this thread was my MR Luke ROTJ. I know its not entirely accurate but it's one of the very few props that I love for it's flaws.

When it comes to the rest of the MR sabers I have, they're were amazing when I bought them but now I just don't have the same love for them. I'm generally not super keen on licensed products anymore and prefer accuracy. So I'm going to part with them at some point. My collection is not based on the ability to resell or the props monetary value, it's based on love for SW.

*fixed a mistake

Last edited:
This conversation continues to be more interesting than I would have thought over what seemed a simple question.:unsure:

I love the MR I was able to re-acquire. I love the later non MR I got as well.

I would never sell my MR or EFX Luke Reveal, but as is the case with everyone else, space is a huge problem. I never considered how much space the MR take up with the cases. I still love them, but I really never thought of that. (y)
I'm gonna challenge you on something because i like your humor...lol. You would never sell your efx Luke Reveal? Not even for a Rylo Reveal assuming you don't already have one?

I'm gonna challenge you on something because i like your humor...lol. You would never sell your efx Luke Reveal? Not even for a Rylo Reveal assuming you don't already have one?

When I say never sell, that is assuming all goes well financially. Family always first.

Okay mystery solving time. I actually feel bad about this. Some time ago a member listed a Rylo Reveal AP for $650. I was the one who snagged it.

I felt bad as I knew it was way underpriced and often have contacted members when I have seen instances of this and let them know they are way underselling it and to pull it right away and check prices. I have snagged a few "good deals" but these are just priced well. When I see someone list something so underpriced I always let them know. I feel it would be taking advantage otherwise. I am not slamming anyone who snags great deals.

Well, my morals failed. I happen to be online minutes after it was listed and I snagged it. I told myself he knew what he was doing and if he did not check, not my problem. All of which is true of course. We are under no moral obligation to not snag a really good deal, but despite many bad breaks in life I am also a blessed person so I like to help when I can, bla, bla.

I have turned down many good deals as mentioned so I snagged it.

Anyway I became one of the few who owns both the EFX Reveal and the Rylo Reveal. I think only 45 were made of Rylo's. Honestly if I won the lottery I would hunt down and buy two. One for me and one for poor Rylo who does not actually own one for himself. Since it was such a nightmare for him to build he kept to his word and never made more.

So I had them both. I never understood the hatred some had for the EFX. It was awesome from the start. Just great. I heard people say it was crap, was like a toy, etc. and sold them. Very odd as it's awesome. I tried to get a Rylo earlier and failed so it was a great option. I don't remember such hostility toward other sabers, especially on Rebelscum forums.

Let me say I am very knowledgeable on sabers. Like a normal expert or at least knowledgeable. Many of you are insanely knowledgeable to the extant I can't even see what you mean when staring at the pic. You are beyond experts, so bare with me if I get something wrong.

I also always heard, from non haters, that the EFX is awesome but Rylo's is much better,....well,.....here we go.

I feel a tremor in the Force, or as I like to say on a roller coaster, "Oh crap, here we go!"

One such common comment is Rylo's is better engineered, felt more solid, opened easier, etc. Barely true IMHO. Rylo's does feel smoother in the movement, but just barely. Handling both, Rylo's does have a slight edge.

So yes, it's a little better engineered, but just barely and really so close it's hard to notice. On that note Rylo's has less if any sag. The EFX needs to be tightened and displayed just right to eliminate the sag when opened, but still be able to close without loosening the screws.

Rylo's has a real crystal but no light up arrows or crystal.

The EFX crystal looks uber cool lit up, but is plastic.

Rylo's grip rings are even and I think a little thick.

EFX's grip rings are even, but the correct thinness.

Rylo's neck and activation box are brass.

EFX's neck and activation box edges are shiny copper. Copper is more accurate, but shiny makes it look wrong. When dullcoated it looks correct. I have seen one person with the courage to dullcoat their EFX neck and box sides and it looked perfect. Someday I will try it.

So, I sold the Rylo. I know, I can feel your anger.

Two reasons. The EFX is a little more accurate. I am sorry, and feel disloyal to the community for saying that. I feel the hate flowing through you all.

The EFX is also a bit more fun to play with. I love the light up features, etc.

Although I love the display case and plaque I made the decision simply based on which saber I prefer. Not extras or price. As problems in life happen I simply could not justify keeping both of them and I agonized over which to keep.

EFX sells for much more, but Rylo's is much rarer and special.

It really just came down to my personal preference on the saber itself.

I bought it for the insane price of $650 and it sold for, I think $1,500 through a friend on Ebay. Honestly I thought I would get more for it, but times are tough.

So there you go. For me I made the right decision. Neither are perfect and both are masterpieces. I now need to go add this to my Lotto List thread.

When I say never sell, that is assuming all goes well financially. Family always first.

Okay mystery solving time. I actually feel bad about this. Some time ago a member listed a Rylo Reveal AP for $650. I was the one who snagged it.

I felt bad as I knew it was way underpriced and often have contacted members when I have seen instances of this and let them know they are way underselling it and to pull it right away and check prices. I have snagged a few "good deals" but these are just priced well. When I see someone list something so underpriced I always let them know. I feel it would be taking advantage otherwise. I am not slamming anyone who snags great deals.

Well, my morals failed. I happen to be online minutes after it was listed and I snagged it. I told myself he knew what he was doing and if he did not check, not my problem. All of which is true of course. We are under no moral obligation to not snag a really good deal, but despite many bad breaks in life I am also a blessed person so I like to help when I can, bla, bla.

Anyway I became one of the few who owns both the EFX Reveal and the Rylo Reveal. I think only 45 were made of Rylo's. Honestly if I won the lottery I would hunt down and buy two. One for me and one for poor Rylo who does not actually own one for himself. Since it was such a nightmare for him to build he kept to his word and never made more.

So I had them both. I never understood the hatred some had for the EFX. It was awesome from the start. Just great. I heard people say it was crap, was like a toy, etc. and sold them. Very odd as it's awesome. I tried to get a Rylo earlier and failed so it was a great option. I don't remember such hostility toward other sabers, especially on Rebelscum forums.

Let me say I am very knowledgeable on sabers. Like a normal expert or at least knowledgeable. Many of you are insanely knowledgeable to the extant I can't even see what you mean when staring at the pic. You are beyond experts, so bare with me if I get something wrong.

I also always heard, from non haters, that the EFX is awesome but Rylo's is much better,....well,.....here we go.

I feel a tremor in the Force, or as I like to say on a roller coaster, "Oh crap, here we go!"

One such common comment is Rylo's is better engineered, felt more solid, opened easier, etc. Barely true IMHO. Rylo's does feel smoother in the movement, but just barely. Handling both, Rylo's does have a slight edge.

So yes, it's a little better engineered, but just barely and really so close it's hard to notice. On that note Rylo's has less if any sag. The EFX needs to be tightened and displayed just right to eliminate the sag when opened, but still be able to close without loosening the screws.

EFX's neck and activation box edges are shiny copper. Copper is more accurate, but shiny makes it look wrong. When dullcoated it looks correct. I have seen one person with the courage to dullcoat their EFX neck and box sides and it looked perfect. Someday I will try it.

Two reasons. The EFX is a little more accurate. I am sorry, and feel disloyal to the community for saying that. I feel the hate flowing through you all.

Although I love the display case and plaque I made the decision simply based on which saber I prefer. Not extras or price. As problems in life happen I simply could not justify keeping both of them and I agonized over which to keep.

I bought it for the insane price of $650 and it sold for, I think $1,500 through a friend on Ebay. Honestly I thought I would get more for it, but times are tough.

So there you go. For me I made the right decision. Neither are perfect and both are masterpieces. I now need to go add this to my Lotto List thread.
Honestly, the only reason i asked is because(Talk about a tremor in the force) i believe 100% the MandoLukian belt hanger was a Rylo...which i assumed you would want over the eFx for that reason but we don't know each other but hey...nice to meet you and your reasons are very reasonable. I would really like to get my hands on a Rylo. I've seen a Rylo...I know what it is when i see it and that belt hanger is a Rylo and there will be people here that emphatically disagree but that's for another thread...lol

Honestly, the only reason i asked is because(Talk about a tremor in the force) i believe 100% the MandoLukian belt hanger was a Rylo...which i assumed you would want over the eFx for that reason but we don't know each other but hey...nice to meet you and your reasons are very reasonable. I would really like to get my hands on a Rylo. I've seen a Rylo...I know what it is when i see it and that belt hanger is a Rylo and there will be people here that emphatically disagree but that's for another thread...lol

It's all good. I have been carrying this burden for so long it was good to share. :lol: :love: :p

Do you mean his reveal? I am not sure but I think he also made a regular Luke ROTJ saber??

I remember that sale. I could not believe the price as that was less than I paid for my AP direct from Rylo. I still have his and the EFX reveal and like both of them for most of the reasons you stated.

If you have ready any of my posts in this thread then you would know that I don't collect or have a collection because of the monetary value. If that were true I would have probably bought and sold many, many lightsabers and other collectibles over the last 20 years. You know. but low, sell high, who cares about whatever 'junk' I bought as long as I can make a buck re-selling it for a profit because I have no connection to what I collect. You could not have missed why I collect more than if you were trying to herd a cat.

Also, if someone collects Master Replica lightsabers because of the 'status' and 'value' they believe owning those pieces has, saying they are not really a collector is a nice way for you to gatekeep. People can collect for whatever reason they want, and if they have two or more pieces in their collection then they are a collector. You don't get to make the rules on what, why, or how someone who isn't you chooses to collect things. Buying a Rolex does not make you a watch collector, but buying two or more Rolex's actually does make you a watch collector.

Not to beat a dead horse but as I've said multiple times including my original post, MR sabers used to have status and value on the RPF many years ago. They don't anymore, but they do still have status and value amongst 'joe public' collectors who are not on the RPF, people who have no idea talented artisans study, work, and create masterpiece lightsabers with unbelievable accuracy because they are not on the RPF and they don't visit our corner of the internet. I know because I've watched their unboxing videos when they received that MR lightsaber they've always wanted and they were finally able to get it.

If I was all about status and monetary gain, I'm pretty sure they way I post/talk/interact on the RPF would be al lot different then how I've presented myself for the last 20 years here. I don't flash my sabers around here, I don't brag about what's in my collection, I don't constantly use every opportunity to show-off what I have or mention how many sabers I own. I collect lightsabers for me, because of the connection I have with Star Wars, my memories growing up, the characters, the stories, the movies, the music....

BTW, my entire lightsaber collection has been in storage bins and hasn't been on display or seen daylight for 9 years. I don't have them on display all over my house so friends and family can 'ooh' and 'aah' over them all the time to make me feel better about myself. I collect lightsabers because I love them and I love how they make me feel, and I love sharing my love of Star Wars with my kids.

And I don't Gatekeep fandom.

View attachment 1641874
Say it ain’t so. Those poor unloved hilts stacked in storage.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back