Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

NeoRutty what about oven clean? is russ's booster aluminum or steel? i remember seeing aluminum ones

Last edited by a moderator:
Roman has his weathered kits on sale 25% off, static and FX both. I finally bit the bullet and ordered an FX version. I have a Petit Crouton and a Tri Rebel LED for an install. Does any one make a chassis for this kit ?

Don Mac

Man I want to do a full on EFX one day... but I promised myself no more sabers til I finish what's on my plate!

That said, I pulled out halliwax 's weathering and started on my V2... Romans EFX will have to wait.

I do have a machined emitter of his I still have to figure how to weather... I'm guessing most hear just Blue it and then scrub some off?

I haven't really read back through the 12 pages yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a few months back, I purchased Mr. Mold Makers RE saber he posted about earlier in the thread!
It was my first genuine saber and it's a beauty.
However,I've been meaning to clean it up and re weather it to help combat the rust. It's starting to spread up to the emitter and it's kind of a mess to hold even.
Does anyone have any tips to properly de-rust and re-weather it?
I've read through the thread so I think I have an idea, but I wanted to be sure.
20161005_215921.jpg20161005_215305.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also sorry about the poor quality pictures. Cell phone is old.

So a few months back, I purchased Mr. Mold Makers RE saber he posted about earlier in the thread!
However,I've been meaning to clean it up and re weather it to help combat the rust. It's starting to spread up to the emitter and it's kind of a mess to hold even.
I've read through the thread so I think I have an idea, but I wanted to be sure.
View attachment 670072View attachment 670073

- - - Updated - -

Nice saber! My grenade rusted up pretty badly not too long after I got it. A little WD40 and a toothbrush fixed it right up. Oiling it periodically will keep the rust away.

View attachment 670072View attachment 670073

- - - Updated - - -

Ive heard alot of people use steel wool to get off the old weathering and then use Birchwood Casey aluminum black,brass black and perma blue to re-weather..Also for the brass windvain Ive seen a guy use clear ammonia fumes inside a cooler to age it..As far as rust preventing oils Ive heard Eezox is the best,followed by Break Free CLP.Heres a link to the article where these products were tested http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Hey Bartersnar! I found this at the end of September while reading online about heat treating and bluing...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/gun...tion-several-cold-bluing-products-w-pics.html

If I ever try any bluing, I'm going to use Nu-Blu.

As 'matty matt' said, WD-40 works pretty good to clean up light rust. I'd probably start with that or Never-Dull (found at O'reilly's, Autozone, etc.). Never-Dull is a tin can full of cotton wadding that you can use to "scrub" rust and tarnish away with.

If a plastic bristled toothbrush doesn't work, try a metal one.

Worst-case-scenario, oil sand it with a bit of 1000-4000 grit sand paper. Start high and if it doesn't take it off adequately, move down to lower grit sand papers.

I'll have to give Eezox a look too, thanks for the link 'danzig'! I wonder if I could use a little SLIP 2000? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm still fairly new to this so I didn't want to mess up! I'll be sure to give it a shot in the coming weeks to see what I can do :D

Hey guys,,does anyone know how to obtain the weathered look that the grenade section of the saber in this photo has?? Ive seen some weathered grenades turn out black,while others look greyish and some look more rusty brown.I am wanting the rusty brown look for mine..Ive heard Roman uses Perma Blue,but noticed all of his weathered sabers vary in color.So I was just wondering if anyone out there knows how to obtain the rusty look?Thanks
20140918_170511.jpg~original.jpg

Hey guys,,does anyone know how to obtain the weathered look that the grenade section of the saber in this photo has?? Ive seen some weathered grenades turn out black,while others look greyish and some look more rusty brown.I am wanting the rusty brown look for mine..Ive heard Roman uses Perma Blue,but noticed all of his weathered sabers vary in color.So I was just wondering if anyone out there knows how to obtain the rusty look?Thanks
View attachment 674498

Leave it out in the rain. I'm not kidding!

View attachment 674498

Mine's orangy but could easily be more red like that, all I used was cheap red and tiny bit of yellow acrylic paint :)
OWK4.jpgView attachment morerust.jpg

And if I ever change my mind and want a different look, I just need to wash it off with some water.

View attachment 674498

• 16 oz Hydrogen Peroxide (use a fresh bottle)
  • 2 oz White vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbsp Salt
  • Mix the above ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Degrease your grenade. Spray with solution and watch it go to work. I did this to mine and within 45 minutes I had a generous coat of brown rust. I then took a brush and knocked it down to what I wanted it to look like.

Wait?! People DON'T want their weathered Obi-Wan sabers to be weathered :wacko??

I get the "As first built by" sabers but to unweather what is weathered? Sacrilege.

JK

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back