Sculpting Two Bios

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I've had clay sitting here for the past year, but due to other projects I put it on hold till everything else was done. I like to concentrate on one thing at a time and then move onto the next project. I will try to make this as in depth as I can so that other people can learn from this - just as I am. I will show lots of pics since I am also very much a visual learner.

The drawing that inspired this was done by Rob and is blend of a P1 and P2 Bio. The thing that captured me was how the dome is pronounced and curves inward as it goes down and meets with the nose/eyes. This angle makes it difficult for me to determine how much that area curves in, but I'll do my best to interpret a 2D drawing into 3D.

Rob.jpg

Starting off with the armature. Nothing special, just a wire frame with a bunch of burlap and plaster on it.

Img_2874.jpg

I've been buying tools here and there over the past year to get ready:

Img_1604.jpg

I don't have any rakes, so I used my dremel to cut teeth into one side of the sculpting tool:

Img_1605.jpg

I'm using Chavant medium and soft. I wish I had gotten all soft clay, but oh well. To cut the clay, I used fishing line attached to some Testors paints, which worked perfectly:

Img_1583.jpg

The one on the left was done today after about 3 hours of melting chunks of clay in a crock pot:

Img_1588.jpg

Here's where I'm at currently:

Img_1591.jpg

Img_1595.jpg

Img_1596.jpg

Img_1597.jpg

Img_1602.jpg

There ya go...more to come, so stay tuned...

Good to see Robs stuff getting some love...I have one of his in progress that I pretty much haven't touched for a year...I should get back on that.

I like the armatures. I may have to try that sometime. What gauge of wire is it?

I believe these are going to be worth the wait. I love seeing sculpts come together and it looks like a lot are starting to hit the 'Lair' all at once.

Not sure what wire gauge it is, but it's stiff enough that I needed pliers to bend them.

With Robs drawings being a major influence for me, it's only logical that I try to sculpt one of his designs.

This is really taking shape! Gotta love that P2 influence in Rob's drawing. You're gonna knock it out of the park!

Just a clarification - I've used two tools so far. One to cut into the cheeks and the other to cut the jawline down and put holes where the eyes are. The rest if just from pushing the clay around with my fingers. I've been told there are two kinds of sculptors: those who build up and add clay to the sculpt using their fingers, and those who use tools to cut and dig away at the clay. I think I'm going to be one of those people who uses their hands. I can get precise lines that way.

I used the calipers to make sure the eyes were the same length, but I guess I should start using them more...

I really wish I had started using clay a long time ago. Now I want to sculpt a head at the same time, but it's gotta wait till these two Bios are done first ;) Clay is exciting! Creating something with my fingers...too cool!

I do agree, CLAY IS EXCITING!

I'm trying to find some wire sturdy enough to copy that armature of yours. I really like the shape it gives the helmets.

Go to a hardware store and tell them you need a thick and heavy gauge copper wire. It's heavy, it stinks when you get it on your hands, but it works beautifully. If you can't find any, I would be more than willing to send you some if you want to pay the shipping ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back