monsterroom

How to sculpt Feet and much more 101

You don’t have to spend a lot of cash remember
see a need fill a need
toeslineup.jpg

The clay is the cheep stuff from the dollar store
We used the feet off a mannequin sitting on 1 1/2’’ hard foam

Start to rough it out with clay

Add some detail but don’t waste time now because it will change when both feet are at this stage

Add a pattern to the soles of the feet
don’t be afraid to add to much texture it will soften buy the time it is in latex

collection001.jpg

WebFeettread001.jpg

Once you are happy with you sculpt of feet, arms, skins, armor, Ect. Then you need to prepare your sculpt for making a 2 to 3 piece mold
P8280018.jpg

Attach your sculpt to a platform. Then seal your sculpt by spraying and seal it with krylon clear gloss paint
P8290019.jpg

To reduce the amount of the water braced clay used we use a frame. For this one we used 2x4 to make the frame
P8290020.jpg

Once you decide where you want your seam line, You rough out the flange where the mold, when finished, will separate
P8290021.jpg

This part is where a mold will be a success or a failure. The flange must be smooth and preferable at a 90 deg.
This will make a very thin seam line that will be easy to remove and prep before paint on the finished piece.
P8290022.jpg

At this time Keys are inserted on to the flange so that the front and back halves of your mold are correctly aligned.
Again spray the sculpt and keys with the clear paint.

P8290023.jpg

At this point we mix the Ultracal 30. We mix it to a not runny but not to firm consistancey.

P8290024.jpg

Put the first layer of ultracal about 1/2" thick. Be careful not to trap any air pockets in the stone
P8290025.jpg

This next layer you will add hemp to the stone to reduce the possibility of the mold cracking early.
Not pictured
Add a third and final coat of just the Ultracal to make a smooth and nice looking finish. Let it fully cure.
P8290026.jpg

Turn over and remove the frame.
P8290027.jpg

Remove the flange & key clay. Remove any excess stone and file any sharp edges.
P8290028.jpg

This shows the sculpt cleaned and ready for the next side to be worked on.
P8290029.jpg

This is the hard one to explain.
I have put a 1/16" layer of clay 1/4" away from the sculpt. You should not get any clay in the keys.
This will make a tighter fit when you start pouring your latex.
Again clear coat the sculpt and now add a thin layer of Vaseline on the exposed stone.
P8290030.jpg

Repeat the steps to finish this side.
P8290031.jpg

Pull your mold apart and clean off all the excess clay.

It is now ready to start making the mold work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Professor Monsterroom,

Can you show us how to Foam fill a Mask? What kind of Foam do you use?
What about those spray and expand foam in a can. I think its Urethane foam insulation.
I don't plan on wearing it just need to make a hard latex mask for display.
Will that stuff dissolve the latex?

thanks for this thread i do have a quick question tho. Would it be easier for me just to use a shoe of mine since i have to wear a size (embarassed) 14 or 15-16 (depending if i can't find them in wide).

I would assume you could probably take a duct tape dummy of your foot and ankle and then cover it with something like plaster bandages or resin if you have large feet. As long as you make it sturdy enough you should be able to sculpt on it.
I am in the same boat as you with a size 14.

thanks i think i'm going to try that idea out. i feel sorry for my brother cause he has a size 16 wide. I'll let yall know how it turns out.

the duct taped dummy foot will work good
I will try to find the how to foam a mask, but till then I use BJB 265 foam or smothon 5 pound soft foam
thay wont harm latex
Jay

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back