Sculpting A Classic - 7/16/13 Painted

Or you could do that lol.  If you're only using it as an armature I guess it wouldn't have to hold it's shape perfectly.

Brian

Sorry to hear about the mold. I've had that happen to me. what I believe happened to mine at least is I put thin layer of plaster on initially and then when the second thicker layer went on it sucked all the moisture out of that thin layer which when the clay was pulled had turned to powder. From then on I always make sure that first layer is brushed in but that it is pretty thick.  

Real sorry to hear this this happened to me on one of my first masks sometimes it happens even when you prepare fully :/ hope you managed to save some of it

Sounds like the plaster was possibly not wet enough. live and learn, that's what we all do.

you'll be fine and ready next time, unless you make the same mistake again. in which case we will send Tom round to tell you off.

Haha if it happened again I'd make someone mold for me :p
The plaster was much softer and almost too wet on the front side :S it dried out after a few days

I am pretty sure I know what I did wrong so I should be prepared for the next time.

well if it was soft,................ then you did not leave it dry long enough, plaster will dry no matter how much water, just need to give it time.

have a look on youtube, seems you may need to relearn how to mould with plaster.

One half was fine and the other wasn't, live and learn right?

Think I've seen my share of YouTube videos by now after that happened.

Alright I got a latex pull out of it a little while ago, just didnt want to look at it for a little.

I have now duct taped and foam filled it and made a head armature out of it, I will start sculpting this week. I started a little bit alreday. So far so good :)

I wanted to wait to post any update photos, because honestly I was quite embarrassed about the whole messed up mold. However I took that experience and learned from it and found a way to move forward. I did make a mold since them of a joker mask I made and got some additional practice work done and it turned out very well.

Anyways, I wanted to post my progress as of now and get some feedback, don't sugar coat it, I want honest feedback
I really want this to turn out so if you notice anything that looks like it needs work please let me know, it's always helpful to have a fresh set of eyes.

I'm still smoothing things out and getting the shape. I almost thought it wasn't going to work, but it's starting to work out.

Right now I'm focusing on the mouth and eyes, then I'll work on the rest. I am trying to decide on eye placement, so I certainly could use assistance with that. Alright enough blabbering, here ya go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

(How I made the head armature: Casted mask in latex, foam filled with Gorilla Glue, put empty wine bottle in mask for head to rest on, and then duct taped the whole mask. I put the wine bottle in before the foam was fully cured. You have to do light coats on the inside of the mask before you do a big batch of gorilla glue so that the mask does not warp. Worked out pretty good.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as your 1st one for me, the inner mouth is wide open when the mandibles are in the closed position.

The upper mandibles are pointing too low, and Some symmetry issues that are way off even for organic, looking head on the left eyebrow and eye are way higher than the right, ( the left side looks a better height for eyes ) but maybe you are working on that currently, it will be easier to give advise once you have sorted that out. :)

Yep still got stuff to sort out, think I'll have to work with the eyebrows a bit before I decide on the eye placement. I sort of knew you'd say that about the mouth was planning on working on it a bit more. Though you could argue that the predator decided to open just his mouth a bit more than his mandibles :p
I see what you mean about the upper mandibles though now that I've stepped away for awhile and look at it, will need to work on that for sure. Will work more on it tomorrow ^^

Thanks for the tips Lee :)

photos most of the time show up stuff you miss my looking at a sculpt.

you will be looking at something and then take a photo or fresh eyes look at it, and you will think FFS why didn't I see that.  I have done that looooooooooooooooooooads of times.

I suggest you work on the overall shape before settling on eyes, mandibles and that fly catching mouth :cool:

Maybe he's yawning :cool:
Looking at the photos now, I definitely see what you mean. I made some quick adjustments already, just because it was driving me insane I shall do more sculpting tomorrow though. Need to have some patience and get everything as symmetrical as I can. But I can tell you right now, I am liking how this is looking and I am liking it more than the last one. :)

After you get the overall shape, its gonna be more easy to sculpt the rest, it took me 1week just to get the overall shape, i reshaped that dome like 10 times, its still not accurate, but i like it, but youll get it right, just keep at it :)

:) thank you, now that I haven't looked at it since yesterday, I already see things that need to be fixed. However I'm going to work in the overall shape first. The dome will be the trickiest as usual That and the ridges on the dome, that's the part that got me.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back