Sculpting A Classic - 7/16/13 Painted

Just wanted to make a little update, been kind of procrastinating. Sometimes you just don't feel like sculpting I guess, but then when you start again, you can't get enough of it.

I mess up my hands though if I sculpt too long, anyone else get that? Any suggestions on streches to do? Sure I could ask google, but I'd rather ask you guys first Mostly I get knots in my thumbs.

Anyway here's some photos! I've got a lot of work to do still, especially on the back. But I'm liking what I'm doing so far, turning a negative into something positive. :)
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I didn't want to post anything until it's finished but I would like some feedback :)

The upper gums are bugging me and I am not sure how to go about fixing it, it's a little uneven.
This is how it looked before I made some changes to the rim around the forehead, I decided to do something that's more scaley like.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And this is where I am at now, I guess I didn't quite know how to go about the scales at first, but then I used a straw and made some circles around on the head. I also used some other tools to make larger scales and then I drew lines around the circles and softened them up.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Alrighty, I have molded the sculpt now. The back half is still curing, I did the front on Tuesday and the back yesterday.
The front is all cured and solid.

The back has been curing slowly, only explaination I can think of is that Iit might still have a lot of moisture. It is curing though, because I can see a gradual change. Going to wait until the weekend to see where it's at.

Any suggestions or input is welcome, it's UltraCal 30. I did everything I was supposed to. The beauty coat, thicker coat, burlap layering, and then another thicker coat on top of that. The final batch did seem to have a little more water, so I guess I just need to be patient. But if there's any way to help the moisture leave, that would be great. Otherwise, I'm just letting it air dry.

Sculpt
image.jpg

The Front of the Mold
image.jpg

The Back of the Mold
image.jpg

oh................ well that's a shame as it would be interesting to see what issues you corrected from the above photo.

Not sure why I didn't, but basically I did more details to the cheeks and around the eyes. Also did little scales around the crown a bit more.
Softened up some spots and such. Nothing much else though, added the dread spots.

So as of tonight the plaster on the back isn't dry yet and is kind of chalky. You can scratch the surface with your nail, but it's been gradually turning to that darker color on the very surface. Someone suggested sealing it with lacquer to help it fully dry out, I still plan on waiting till this weekend to see where it is at, but any thoughts on doing that?

No I liked where it was at for the most part and partly it was the armature.

More of the UltraCal has dried, seems to be doing it from the inside out. If I have to let it sit longer, then so be it.
Just want to open my present damn it,

its nothing to do with the armature, you ADD clay to a armature and blaming it is bizarre. o_O

I will not point out anything in the future after this as again I am sure you will have reasons, and know better.

BUT Honestly  you have NO depth to the mouth it is a vertical surface, wide open in a close mandible position, your upper mandibles are too low and lopsided, and from the look there is no shape to the rear 1/2 of the head, no curve  or bulk that is all predator heads base shape.
I do not know if you did any detailing, but  you should take more time.......... there is no rush and I am sure you can do a lot better if you took your time on the base shapes, then took time to look at details and how best to replicate them rather than scratches.

but ive noticed whatever people advise, you KNOW or have spotted, but you do not rectify, possibly as you think you know better, but unless we ALL listen and learn from each other none of US will improve, and I do not think this looks anything like what you said you were making.

The armature itself was a bit lop sided since I was sculpting on the pull from the failed mold and I did my best to try and make it look less uneven, that and the jaw level was lower from the last, so I guess I felt if I made it any more closed, it would look weird. Not sure how else to explain that. I did add more clay to the back to make it more curved though.

I DO appreciate your critiques Lee, don't think that I'm ignoring what you are pointing out. Seriosuly, I appreciate you taking the time to coach me on these things. I intend to keep on sculpting new and improved work, and on a regular armature this time. I will take your advice and work on the basic shapes before jumping in to the details.

I did sort of rush a bit at the end I will admit that. I don't think I know better, I don't. I'm just, stubborn I guess... I don't want you to think I am ignoring what you point out and I don't want you to think I am wasting your time. When I think about it I guess that does comes accross as little insulting :(, so I am sorry if you feel that way. After all I did ask for critiques. You've been doing this much longer than me, so I should try to respect that more.

I guess I was just happy with the sculpt at the end. I think for the next sculpt I will just study the shapes more, that and sculpt on a regular head armature. Also thinj it is time to get me some Chavant.

Kendra its fine, we spoke in chat a few times but I just do not see that you used any info.

you add the clay so can correct any symmetry worries on a armature, trust me and buy a mannequin head off ebay for about $30 they will give you a great base, and way way cheaper than life casting, and for a pred a lifecast is not remotely essential. as they by nature have big heads.

the main thing is to NOT settle for anything, I do not like critiquing as it often comes across as being a bitch, but I needed to hear a few things a while ago, and yeah sometimes its hard to have people pick apart your work, but honestly a lot of good can come from it. and sometimes you have to hear them to sit up and think.

The mouth is a perfect example as we discussed it in chat, theres simply no depth INTO the mouth. it looks vertical. the rest I will not go into.

get photos of various head from the side ad see how a head shape flows up with the curve, take photos of your won and compare, photos show up way way more than your eyes as you are sat so close to a sculpt you often miss hug amounts of details and shapes until you see it on a pc screen. 

good luck.

Thanks Lee, in college, went for graphic design, I learned to take criticism and use it to improve my work. Guess I sort of wandered off the path on that. But you're right, I shouldn't settle for less and should set my standards to be much higher.
You sort of sound like one of my old teachers from college, I'm too hard headed for my own good I guess

I actually just bought a new armature, not from ebay though, my card wasn't working on the site. However I found the same head from some site that sells mannequins. It was about $30, I actually saw that you suggested it to someone else in an older post so hey, I did take your advice there :p

That and remembering your advice about the mold making process, trying to be patient and not just jump into prying it open right away.

The head Looks like this
image.jpg

the head is a little smaller than I would have wanted, but it'll work for the base. Photos sure do show a lot, that is for sure. After this mold thing is out of the way, I will be getting right back into sculpting.

I am no teacher lol, I lack the knowledge, but happily pass on info if I can, the only frustration is when people ask you and you reply, to get " I know " or similar back.

hell I learn from all sorts of people and projects here, new /old/ does not matter as long as you are open to different ideas. techniques and people offering input on things you may not have seen.

Yep those are the heads I have, I have 3 of them here, they are slightly smaller than my head, which is perfect in my opinion. remember you do not want to have MM of lay between the mould and head or you risk damaging the mould when you pry it out when demoulding.

I know, only giving ya crap now.

Well you have more experience than me so I'd say you're qualified to be some what of one
That's a good point about the head armature, I may get more in the future. As long as the basic shape is there to hold my clay, I'm happy.
I want to sculpt other things on it as well, such as a werewolf.

Now I am also curious about making fiberglass molds, I wanted to try doing one of those for a mask at some point, but really don't have a clue, haven't really found anything about how to do them. I've found things here and there on google, but nothing too detailed. I just like that it wouldn't take up very much space and wouldn't weigh as much as my current molds.

Fibreglass moulding is just like any other moulding, easy enough just takes a little research. youtube has all you can want on it.

Well I didn't think it would work out, but the mold is finally finished and came out great.
Just goes to show that no matter what obstacles you might be faced with, when you're determined enough you can accomplish just about anything.

image.jpg

The mold has been cleaned and the latex poured, I will be pulling tomorrow and will pics will be posted soon.

Well here is the first pull all painted up, I think I may dirty up the tusks a bit still. Just need to add some dreads now :)
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I can't wait to get started on my next sculpt.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back