Scratch Build: TESB TIE Bomber

marvin

Sr Member
Hi,

This was supposed to be a "it'll take as long as it takes" side project, but the guys who provided me with the starter sets are pestering me about showing some damn results (you know who you are Stu, Joe :lol).

Anyway, I'm really going for the well documented easier models at first. After this I'm going to try something less or maybe not done before. I'm not really going to state all model parts since better IDers before me have ID'd and documented the parts list very well.

My basic modeling principles for this model are:

• I'll be using Stu's excellent starter kit for the tubes, center box and wing mounts and Joe White's excellent wing extension set.
  • I'll be modeling the Bomber only with one mounting point that I need to display my model and not necessarily with all the mounting points on the studio model
  • I'll be painting it "real-world" instead of studio accurate. Basically I'd like it to look right in daylight versus under studio lighting

I don't know yet if I'll add a cockpit. I probably won't but I also won't be adding blue and red wires to get full studio model accuracy. Thanks for looking!

Marvin

Last edited:
Re: Another TIE Bomber

So here's the start of this little project. I like doing the aligning at the start of the project cause I know I'll either misalign at final assembly or ruin detail popping subassemblies on and off.

Starting with Stu's (Eagle1) starter kit, I lined up the central tube by cutting notches in it that align with squared tubing that is glued into the wing mounts.

TESB_TIE_Bomber_02.JPG

TESB_TIE_Bomber_01.JPG

TESB_TIE_Bomber_03.JPG

Marvin

Last edited:

Next I lined up the centerbox and the cockpit and bomber pods and glued everything in place with two part epoxy glue. Doesn't look pretty, but it's all level and sturdy.

Now I can take of the wings and work on them separately without worrying about aligning them when putting them on again :lol.

TESB_TIE_Bomber_04.JPG

I've just started on the wings. Right now I have Joe White's wing extensions on (these things fit perfectly....) and started detailing the inside and outside of the wings. There's a couple of parts that I still need to cast to get enough of them.

TESB_TIE_Bomber_05.JPG

TESB_TIE_Bomber_06.JPG

At this rate, you'll finish yours before mine! :)

Good job .. now, I really need to find more time to work on it!!!

Lol.... Don't worry. Haven't even started on the harder parts yet like the bomb bay cap and those damn wingmount supports....

:wacko

Marvin

Looking good Marvin!. Kinda reminds me of my build with the orange centre rod, all the others we made for the sets were grey!.

Oh, the parts you asked me about for the wings, I seem to recall now they were taken from the Tamiya Flakvierling, so you will have this kit anyhoo!.

Keep it coming mate!.:lol
Stu

That's looking good!!!

I'm taking notes on how you aligned the wings. Good job!

I need to finish those wing boxes I was working on!

BTW, what Flak parts on the wings, Stu? I've never found what those bits were on the outside.

Oh, and on that bomb bay dish you bought from me.....if you are planning on building the inner octagon box, I recommend .030" sheet styrene. Use the lip of the dish to glue them on then fill and sand to the contour of the dish. This will add the proper space between the POW square cutouts and the octagon hole. Hope this makes sense....if not I can add a pic. LMK. Peace!

Joe

I used these parts from the Flakvierling-38 for the wing greeblies, A- sprue, parts 7 & 8, just the wiggly, tailed shape piece, cut off from the roundish piece.
This part is in no way part of the confirmed list of donor parts & is something I thought looked right, compared to ref pics.
Others may have used something else, but at least this part did come from one of the donor kits!.
Stu

Yeah, when you weren't sure these were the only parts I could think of for this part. I recognized them from the probe droid pod. I'll dive into it a little deeper, but my references aren't good enough to get a clear ID on this part I think.

Marvin

and Joe, I know what you mean with your description. Don't know what I'll do yet. Perhaps I'll only use the dish as inspiration and build it from scratch myself. I'll be saving it until the very end to see what I'll want to do.

Marvin

BTW, I was just looking at my references and I hadn't noticed before, but ILM used two left or two right wings from the Darth Vader TIE Fighter. On the outside of the wing there's a thin strip running half of the length of the mid section. On the cockpit side wing it's located below the midline and on the bomb bay wing it's located above the midline. You can only get this by having two of the same wings.

So if you want to be 100% accurate you'd need two DV TIEs..... :wacko

What to do... what to do.....

Marvin

Looking at some ref pics.....these parts sure do look like the Taiho parts used on the Escape Pod. The angle appears a bit off but, though. If this is the part, maybe a vintage Taiho? Or a similar part on another ship?

Hmmmm.....I'll need to tack everything together to compare.

kg_tie-bomber-009cutout-1.jpg

IMG028-1-1.jpg

Good eye. I thought it was just rods with flat styrene glued. I've got a couple of ships coming from the UK. I'll have a look if any parts resemble the parts used on the wing.

Just had a look. Check out the Rodney, parts A6. Look pretty close. I'll get a pic up later.

Marvin

Last edited:

Here's what I was talking about. Joe I think you've led me to my very first ID with this one. If it is true I'll have to replace my rods since they are too thick compared to the Rodney parts.

TESB_TIE_Bomber_ref_01.jpg

Marvin

Last edited:

Holy damn...those have got to be them! That is awesome teamwork, buddy! I've gotta say, that lead has been my best contribution to the SS id'ing world! I'm so :)!

We should check the rest of that kit for the other bits.

Off to buy a Rodney! I've got every TIE Bomber kit except it and the Stuka.

Joe

Last edited:

Ok, it turns out I do have a Rodney but it was started when I won it. I ended up throwing it in a corner of my closet and forgot about it until now.

Anyway, after looking at some of the parts....I'm gonna guess that part B10 is a possible strong candidate for the bit above the now found Rodney gun barrel. B10 has what looks like a radio antenna that closely matches the size of the piece on the studio model....cut up and modified of course.

Looks really, really close.....

Joe

rodneybit2.jpg

rodneybit1.jpg

Last edited:

Just an FYI from a new guy who happens to be a long-time ship modeler...those barrels look like the older Aoshima offerings from their 70s-era IJN kits, I believe it could be Nagato.

While Rodney/Nelson is close, the blast bags don't appear to be the same shape. I'll scrounge through my 700th collection and see what I have that matches up. Don;t rule out the old Matchbox 700 scale ships either.

Sorry to butt in.

Jeff

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back