RussRep Baker Sonic SOUND conversion build thread

Sounds cool, but prolly a bit finickey for what i'm doing. I'm likely going to stuck with the momentary switch that came with the CO toy.

I LOVE to modify things! I always took my toys apart when I was a little girl. Dad was always saying "why can't she just leave them as is?"

Now you know why, Dad...

Besides... if Romana can engineer her own Sonic, why not me?:D

nakedmolerat... hmmm, your's doesn't have the base inside the lower body like mine? I'd be interested to see what yours looks like broken down for comparison.

NMR's is an earlier version that wasn't built to take the sound module Russ created and is basically a shell. Yours is his sound version body but without the electronics. That is the only one Russ has been supplying for the last few years.

Had to answer some PM's and thought I would have a look at what's been happening.

Your work on the Baker sonic sound conversion kristenhenry70 is going quite well, I do like seeing members using what's currently on the market
and converting them into a more tangible prop replica.

Well who doesn't like to awaken with a message from the Great and Mighty Rassilon? :)

Thanks for that.... I really REALLY do love fiddling about with things. I never could leave something as is, even when I was little. A sonic should be, well... sonic. So I felt I HAD to give this a go.

I'm just waiting now for the next day that I'll be at my friend's house so that I can have her BF solder the wires that need repairing and extending for me, and then I'll be able to put the guts in there and report back with (hopefully) success.

This is way awesome! I nearly bought one of these 6 months ago but really wanted the classic sounds. Well then I bought the toy a few weeks ago and come to find out that they updated it with the classic sounds! :D Needless to say, I now have one of these on the way and will be modding it soon :) Yours is looking great! Im glad to know its not crazy difficult! Cant wait to see it finished!

Last edited:
It really isn't that difficult. I *may* run into a problem with the momentary switch that comes with the toy. My theory says it should work, but we'll see once I get it installed.

If for some reason it doesn't fit/work the way that i anticipate, it will only involve getting a different switch. So all things considered, not such a big deal.

This should be a nice easy way to add classic sounds to your RussRep masterpiece. :)

If the switch becomes an issue you can always use the flat contacts they use in window alarms or even the old trick of two pieces of tin foil, one per wire. Mount the tin foil so it isn't in contact for off and is for on.

That's an interesting idea.

I'm also going to have to work out how best to insulate the components from the casing, as it's all aluminum and will certainly cause grounding problems if I don't.

K.

well yes... i figured I'd use that for the wiring connections. But I'm also thinking about the batteries. Those button cells are exposed on 2/3 of their surface--and need to be so that they can be replaced. Also, the speaker itself has got metal edges that could touch. So I'm going to need a comprehensive approach.

One idea was that i might try to either wrap the guts in black plastic or fabric before sliding in, or trying to line the inside of the body with something similar... even possibly lining it with electrical tape.

Dunno... I've got time to work that out before I'm ready to assemble.

K.

well yes... i figured I'd use that for the wiring connections. But I'm also thinking about the batteries. Those button cells are exposed on 2/3 of their surface--and need to be so that they can be replaced. Also, the speaker itself has got metal edges that could touch. So I'm going to need a comprehensive approach.

One idea was that i might try to either wrap the guts in black plastic or fabric before sliding in, or trying to line the inside of the body with something similar... even possibly lining it with electrical tape.

K.

You can get away with masking tape of some sort in this application :) Just put a little strip across the exposed area of the batteries, and cut a narrow strip to run around the edge of the speaker if you are worried. I would avoid electrical tape. In my experience it's short lived and leaves nasty tar-like residue when it goes bad (this may only be a problem in warmer climates... but I avoid that stuff as a general rule).

How are you securing the sound module to prevent it rattling about?

K.

Just get wider shrink tube, slip it over the whole assembly, and don't heat it. Instant removeable insulation.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

How are you securing the sound module to prevent it rattling about?

The width of the PCM board is perfect so that it touches the side walls of the body, so there's no side-to side movement, and there will only be about 1/16" space up or down. It's a pretty tight fit, so i don't anticipate any rattling.

K.

Two of my sonics with sound have this arrangement and it works like a charm.

Really?! May I ask who made those wonderful devices??

All joking aside, the Reed-Switch is a fantastic solution to the internal switch issue inside the screwdrivers. They are durable and last forever! Plus the mere simplicity is what I always loved about them! Remember..

Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication! -Leonardo Da Vinci

-RS

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back