RPF Competition - ID the part & win a saber!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Birdie, Jan 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Okay all you 'found part' detectives, here's a chance to win yourself a loveley custom saber :)

I need someone to identify the 'radar dish' on the Alien motion tracker. I've scanned Ebay till my eyes bleed and come up with nada.

If you can ID the dish or come very, very close, and (here's the tricky part) find somewhere I can pick one up (ebay or elswhere), then the saber below is yours to love and hug and call George.

Yes, I will ship it, also free of charge, anywhere in the whole wide world. It has working LEDs and everything. Gosh.

Here's the watering can:

[attachmentid=6164]

[attachmentid=6165]

And here's the saber:

[attachmentid=6166]

Have at it, RPFers.

2. synasp

synasp Sr Member

looks like the bottom of old CRT monitors...

3. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Not a bad guess, but I don't think it's right. Looks like there are some roughly quarter inch "pins" comming off that would not be consistent with a CRT base.

4. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

May I ask where on the motion tracker this is so that I can get an idea of scale?

5. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

Okay, I realize that I may be giving an advantage to the "competition", but I really don't have time to do the searching and I think it's more important for the community that we find the part than I get a free lightsaber.

I think we are looking for a "cooling rack" that you put a hot pan on in the kitchen. The size should be right, and that would explain the "pins": They are the posts that the rack sits on to keep the hot pan off the counter and let air circulate under it to cool it.

I'll search as much as time allows, but hopefully that will point someone in the right direction to find a source for the part. May the best Googler win :thumbsup

{Edit in}
    I'm am scrapping the cooling rack theory. It's too thick. Cooling racks are thin wire to improve the release of heat. Something this thick would hold the heat longer. I'm guessing this going to be a plastic part.

6. Birdie

On the side...like in the picture.

I reckon the diameter is about eight inches. There were smaller versions of the same thing on some ofthe other Alien props.

7. wtfjedi

wtfjedi New Member

Looks more light a light diffuser to me turned backward, or even a speaker grill turned backward.

8. Birdie

BTW, the giveaway is just a fun thing. It needs a new home :)

9. acerocket

acerocket Well-Known Member

Well it looks like it could be a drain grate from a swimming pool. I am guessing on size that it is about 6 to 6-1/2 inches in diameter so it is a rather small grate. It looks like it is viewed from the bottom (hence the little standoff pins sticking out). Here is a pic of what a modern drain grate looks like grate. My best guess is to head to the local pool supply and see what they have or can get from their catalogs.

10. kell

kell Well-Known Member

It looks familiar, but Im having a hard time placing it... I think it has something to do with a fan shroud. In my visual mind I keep seeing it in the front of a toyota attached to the radiatior, but my sense memory keep saying it was a hard white thermal plastic. Im confused, have you checked car radiator fans, or air purifer machines ?

Kell

11. troopermaster

troopermaster Well-Known Member

It looks alot like a gully cover/drain cover to me.It even has a small circle ready to be cut out to accept the fall pipe/rain water pipe.

12. Osmotic

Osmotic Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I had always thought it was a fan cover but having read ANH Troopers post and subsequently found a square version (with the smaller circle) IÂ’d have to say it was a gully cover

13. troopermaster

Yeah this is a suqare one I've found,but can't seem to find a round version anywhere so far....
    [​IMG]

Thanks WC :thumbsup

14. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It looks like the drain from my shower, only that mine has two holes instead of one. We are seeing the underside.

15. Birdie

Checked on both of those.

16. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

It looks like a directional vent used in window AC units.

17. xeno

xeno Well-Known Member

look for cover for a wall fan

Xeno

18. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

It looks like part of an old style wall vent kit or tumble dryer vent kit.

It certainly looks the correct size for the type of hose attachment they use.

Vent axia are a huge company that makes these type of parts.

Cheers Chris.

19. Darth Mawr

Darth Mawr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Though it could be a trivet I think you should look at automotive radiator electric fan covers.

20. Birdie

Was one of the first things I did. The concentric circles are not rods, more like 1/4 inch wide strips, like in an old retro lampshade fitting, which is still the closest thing I've seen to this part. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find another one.

21. Blad

Blad Sr Member

You have to ask the question - "What was readily available in the UK in 1978-79?"

It looks like an extractor fan vent cover.

22. DarthWillie

DarthWillie New Member

Isn't it a part from a vacuumcleaner? A Nilfisk or something like that? It looks familiar. :unsure

23. LogansRunner

LogansRunner Well-Known Member

That sounds like it may be close...

24. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i think what ANH trooper said sounds correct... ive seen these kinds of drains, and thats what it looks like, but more for a yard, maybe originally green... that circle would be so you could knock it out, and a hose or pipe could be fitted if nescessary, i swear ive seen ones like this.

25. Birdie

The gully thing is kinda close, but no winner yet. I have searched Ebay from top to bottom on fans, fan covers, vent axia, extractor fans, ventilation systems etc and haven't found anything even vagueley close.

From Google 'gulley cover' seemsto be a brit expression. Anyone know if there is a US equivalent?

26. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Gully grate or grating seems to get a lot of hits and also drain / drainage grate / grating. Catch basins also.

Don't worry we are still looking :) .

Found something close but no banana just yet

http://www.crescentfoundry.com/catch_basin...ings_index.html

http://www.crescentfoundry.com/iron_castin...rame_grate.html

These drainage safety lids look on track as well http://www.tuf-tite.com/safetylids.html

Cheers Chris.

27. Stormleader

Stormleader Well-Known Member

Swimming pool drain cover?

28. Solo Nomo

Solo Nomo New Member

This is killing me... i KNOW i've seen this, held it.

29. Macklin

Macklin Well-Known Member

You know the old Tupperware pitchers with the push-button lid?

What's on the inside of that lid?

30. Coinprop

Coinprop Well-Known Member

It IS a floor drain used in bathrooms. I dont know the exact maker...but I know that it can be found.
    I get back when I find it.

31. kell

kell Well-Known Member

This is funny because I believe I have seen it, held it before, sure hope its not the
    drain grate in the shower. :lol :lol :lol Whatever it is Im sure everyone will go yeah I knew it, once its figured out.

Kell

32. Star Wars Man

Star Wars Man Well-Known Member

so we lookin for that grate thing or the specific product number or something

33. troopermaster

OK I've found the part.

Well at least I'm pretty sure it's the closest thing your gonna find.It's black plastic and measures 6 inch in diameter.It looks very much like the same peice but without it here in my hands I cannot say for sure if it matches exactly.

If your still wanting this part I can get it for you.

LMK,

-Paul.

34. Birdie

Can you say what it is, or any pics?

35. troopermaster

It's a gullet cover just as I thought.I don't have any pics and the retailer doesn't have a website but I can assure you it is almost the same.It has the small inner circle too.

36. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Just giving a friendly bump.

Out of curiosity, what are the other greeblies? I remember something about an ice cube tray, but that's about it.

-Fred

37. Birdie

As far as I know, the ice cube tray is the only identified part on the tracker. I'd love to know what all the other bitsare.

The switches on the top resemble faders from a mixing desk.

38. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Didn't want this to drop off the radar... is this a dead research project?

39. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Macklin @ Jan 28 2006, 04:07 AM) [snapback]1170273[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing really, the ridged (inside) pops out of the top part, and the button falls out. Three parts & AFAIK unless you're making a sandtrooper backpack they're not of much prop value.

40. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

41. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

42. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

The little rectangle things on the circular disc under the fan grill are nutplates. I know this for sure.

43. Birdie

Please can anyone who wishes to contribute add any comments to this thread:http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=...=motion+tracker

Most of the major parts have already been ID'ed, it's largeley the various greeblies that we need to find. All the research is on the other thread.

I'm going to ask the mods to lock this thread.

44. Darth Detroit

Darth Detroit Sr Member

Fixed my post.

I'll seee if I can dig some up Monday.

45. Birdie

<div class='quotetop'>(Darth Detroit @ Jul 30 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]1290447[/snapback]</div>
    Great Catch.

I've put a bid on Ebay for what looks like the correct one. Should have some to share for anyone elae following this project. I'll update the official thread tomorrow.

46. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

locked by request

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.