Visual Dictionary Cutaway Lightsaber Parts ID Thread

Media Man

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've spent some time digging into what makes up the cutaway lightsaber from the OT Visual Dictionary. I'll update the list of components as more pieces are found. Here's what's been IDed so far-

Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg

Lightsaber base- Painted cardboard tube

T-Track- Laser cut acrylic

Blade arc tip- Laser cut acrylic

Belt Ring- D-Ring

Power vortex ring- Carved wood block

Handgrip attachments- Black anodized screws

Focusing crystal activator- Clear LEDs

Crystals- Quartz crystals

Inert power insulator- Black fine grit sandpaper or foam

Blade power and length adjust- Resin cast Graflex buttons and glass eye

Cycling field energizer clips- Molex pins

Magnetic stabilizing ring- Graflex bunny ears

Blade energy chanel- Brass tube

Crystal chamber- Backed with foil tape

Energy gate- Blue painted bar LED

Last edited:
More parts to come through the week. Currently late and want to sleep lolol. If anyone has any builds of this or knowledge please share!

A few changes or suggestions based on my photos of this.

Graflex: obviously not a real Graflex, just real bunny ears.

Power vortex ring- Carved wood block, no copper tape

Handgrip attachments- Black screws of some type. The shaft is threaded.

Inert power insulator- Black fine grit sandpaper? Possibly, but looks more like foam to me.

Blade power and length adjust- Resin casts, for sure. There are even some bubbles visible.

The cycling field energizers seem to be built up of brass fittings which I have yet to identify. The shape is something like this. Anyone know what it could be?
Screenshot 2024-03-18 8.50.56 AM.png

A few changes or suggestions based on my photos of this.

Graflex: obviously not a real Graflex, just real bunny ears.

Power vortex ring- Carved wood block, no copper tape

Handgrip attachments- Black screws of some type. The shaft is threaded.

Inert power insulator- Black fine grit sandpaper? Possibly, but looks more like foam to me.

Blade power and length adjust- Resin casts, for sure. There are even some bubbles visible.
Foam for the insulator would make sense. My theory about the sandpaper was that it was cut in that unique shape to make the ends of the wood and end cap the complicated shape instead of having to carve each one. So the end cap and wood both are simple cylinders with a masking over them.

Edit*- Now that I'm looking at it the wood and end cap are all one piece made of wood. The end is simply painted and the foam or sandpaper separate it.

For the graflex I'm stuck between an early graflex replica or aluminum pipe. Could be a Larbel tube but I'm not sure when those came out.

Last edited:
The blue things look like bar graph leds painted over. I’m not sure if they’re casts or the real things, but in high res photos you can see the rectangles.

I built my own custom one recently and put a thread up, I love these projects. The brass up top looks lathed to me, and I did ask the maker at one point, there was a lot of black laser cut? Acrylic or something for the walls.

It’s not an actual Graflex replica. I’d say a cut tube, and perhaps not even metal. Graflex tubes are plated brass. The edges have been painted gray and on my images, the inside of the emitter shows brush strokes. It is one piece from front to back (instead of two halves held together by a clamp) and doesn’t have the pulled shoulders for the red button or glass eye.

The blue things look like bar graph leds painted over. I’m not sure if they’re casts or the real things, but in high res photos you can see the rectangles.

I built my own custom one recently and put a thread up, I love these projects. The brass up top looks lathed to me, and I did ask the maker at one point, there was a lot of black laser cut? Acrylic or something for the walls.
Are you able to share the photos you have?

It’s not an actual Graflex replica. I’d say a cut tube, and perhaps not even metal. Graflex tubes are plated brass. The edges have been painted gray and on my images, the inside of the emitter shows brush strokes. It is one piece from front to back (instead of two halves held together by a clamp) and doesn’t have the pulled shoulders for the red button or glass eye.
Could be PVC pipe

I think I agree with you on the leds. I can faintly see the bars now that I look closer.

I plan to 3D model and print the black chassis but I have access to a laser cutter so i might try to make some plans.

Definitely not a real graflex, apart from it being plated brass there are no shoulder bumps where the glass eye and red button go.

There are 2 small circuit boards under the eye and button, I don’t know what they are from, but the lower one looks like it may be from a practice kit, these are simple cheap circuits that are normally sold in multiples, the bottom one looks like it might just cycle a red and green led.

Something like this:
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! £0.33 29% Off | 5MM Light LED Blue Simple Flash Circuit DIY Kit Module Transistor 30K Resistance 22UF Electrolytic Capacitors Dupont Cable Board

The cycling field energizers could be part of a brass gun jag for barrel cleaning

Last edited:
Definitely not a real graflex, apart from it being plated brass there are no shoulder bumps where the glass eye and red button go.
There are 2 small circuit boards under the eye and button, I don’t know what they are from, but the lower one looks like it may be from a practice kit, these are simple cheap circuits that are normally sold in multiples, the bottom one looks like it might just cycle a red and green led.

The cycling field energizers could be part of a brass gun jag for barrel cleaning
Yea I haven't spent the time tearing apart the circuits yet but to me they look like they could be built on bread boards

Unfortunately I can’t, but I can tell you what I see which is at least helpful to some degree lol

The main chamber has foil tape around the inside, so the crystals and LED bulbs look a little funny. It actually why I put some foil tape in my custom, went with the same idea!

Also the board between the brass parts at the way back looks like a calculator board or watch board from the early 1980s. It looks a lot like the Luke lightsaber reveal box board, but not the same one, just pcb from that era of like.. Japanese board connections and green masking and stuff

Unfortunately I can’t, but I can tell you what I see which is at least helpful to some degree lol

The main chamber has foil tape around the inside, so the crystals and LED bulbs look a little funny. It actually why I put some foil tape in my custom, went with the same idea!
Thank you! I did notice the foil tape too. Do you have any idea what sort of part is used for the red dots. I'm thinking an electronic part but can't pin it down.

Also the board between the brass parts at the way back looks like a calculator board or watch board from the early 1980s. It looks a lot like the Luke lightsaber reveal box board, but not the same one, just pcb from that era of like.. Japanese board connections and green masking and stuff
Are the circuit pieces actual boards or just cobbled together parts in your pictures?

I remember back when I was trying to replicate this, some speculated the cycling field energizers could be from a brass dart:

IMG_2706.jpeg

I never thought so though. The grooves seem much too deep.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back