RPF Competition - ID the part & win a saber!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay all you 'found part' detectives, here's a chance to win yourself a loveley custom saber :)

I need someone to identify the 'radar dish' on the Alien motion tracker. I've scanned Ebay till my eyes bleed and come up with nada.

If you can ID the dish or come very, very close, and (here's the tricky part) find somewhere I can pick one up (ebay or elswhere), then the saber below is yours to love and hug and call George.

Yes, I will ship it, also free of charge, anywhere in the whole wide world. It has working LEDs and everything. Gosh.

Here's the watering can:

[attachmentid=6164]

[attachmentid=6165]

And here's the saber:

[attachmentid=6166]

Have at it, RPFers.

Originally posted by synasp@Jan 23 2006, 11:41 AM
looks like the bottom of old CRT monitors...
[snapback]1165946[/snapback]​

Not a bad guess, but I don't think it's right. Looks like there are some roughly quarter inch "pins" comming off that would not be consistent with a CRT base.

Okay, I realize that I may be giving an advantage to the "competition", but I really don't have time to do the searching and I think it's more important for the community that we find the part than I get a free lightsaber.

I think we are looking for a "cooling rack" that you put a hot pan on in the kitchen. The size should be right, and that would explain the "pins": They are the posts that the rack sits on to keep the hot pan off the counter and let air circulate under it to cool it.

I'll search as much as time allows, but hopefully that will point someone in the right direction to find a source for the part. May the best Googler win :thumbsup

{Edit in}
I'm am scrapping the cooling rack theory. It's too thick. Cooling racks are thin wire to improve the release of heat. Something this thick would hold the heat longer. I'm guessing this going to be a plastic part.

Originally posted by juno@Jan 23 2006, 04:58 PM
May I ask where on the motion tracker this is so that I can get an idea of scale?
[snapback]1165956[/snapback]​

On the side...like in the picture.

I reckon the diameter is about eight inches. There were smaller versions of the same thing on some ofthe other Alien props.

Well it looks like it could be a drain grate from a swimming pool. I am guessing on size that it is about 6 to 6-1/2 inches in diameter so it is a rather small grate. It looks like it is viewed from the bottom (hence the little standoff pins sticking out). Here is a pic of what a modern drain grate looks like grate. My best guess is to head to the local pool supply and see what they have or can get from their catalogs.

It looks familiar, but Im having a hard time placing it... I think it has something to do with a fan shroud. In my visual mind I keep seeing it in the front of a toyota attached to the radiatior, but my sense memory keep saying it was a hard white thermal plastic. Im confused, have you checked car radiator fans, or air purifer machines ?

Kell

It looks alot like a gully cover/drain cover to me.It even has a small circle ready to be cut out to accept the fall pipe/rain water pipe.

I had always thought it was a fan cover but having read ANH Troopers post and subsequently found a square version (with the smaller circle) IÂ’d have to say it was a gully cover

Yeah this is a suqare one I've found,but can't seem to find a round version anywhere so far....
Gully.jpg

Thanks WC :thumbsup

It looks like the drain from my shower, only that mine has two holes instead of one. We are seeing the underside.

It looks like part of an old style wall vent kit or tumble dryer vent kit.

It certainly looks the correct size for the type of hose attachment they use.

Vent axia are a huge company that makes these type of parts.

Cheers Chris.

Though it could be a trivet I think you should look at automotive radiator electric fan covers.

Originally posted by Darth Mawr@Jan 23 2006, 10:10 PM
Though it could be a trivet I think you should look at automotive radiator electric fan covers.
[snapback]1166185[/snapback]​

Was one of the first things I did. The concentric circles are not rods, more like 1/4 inch wide strips, like in an old retro lampshade fitting, which is still the closest thing I've seen to this part. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back