ROTJ Darth Vader Graflex Stunt (MoM)(a.k.a. DV6) – by WannaWanga

What bottom cap could be used for the DV6? Thinking about converting and old graflex that's been laying around
Oh god, if only we knew. This is currently one of my lines of research!

For this kit I would recommend grabbing some thin brass sheet and rough cutting a circle to slap under the kobold clip. Paint it roughly with silver paint, and yours is probably going to look cleaner than the prop

Sorry if it's been already disscussed, I haven't found anything related to it.

You might have noticed how low the Kobold clip is on the original MOM
VROTJL1.jpg

on most of the replicas you can see the kobold sits a bit higher (I took my unfinished version but I've seen the same setting on others MOM replicas)
P1050290.JPG

I first thought it was due to focal distorsion but the kobod seems really lower on the original prop.
It doesn't seem cut though but I have the growing impression the bottom cap seems pushed in

gripcloseup1b.jpg

Any thoughts?

Sorry if it's been already disscussed, I haven't found anything related to it.

View attachment 1641346

on most of the replicas you can see the kobold sits a bit higher (I took my unfinished version but I've seen the same setting on others MOM replicas)
View attachment 1641347

I first thought it was due to focal distorsion but the kobod seems really lower on the original prop.
It doesn't seem cut though but I have the growing impression the bottom cap seems pushed in

View attachment 1641348

Any thoughts?

The pics you posted for comparsion do not show the saber in identical orientation.
To me, the clip could be pretty much spot on on the fanbuild.

I can second that, I’ve seen very inconsistent kobolds, some longer some shorter

I’ve actually seen more short ones then longer

Yes, the only optical illusion that there probably is… the rolled lip of the graflex is gone. That probably affects what the edge looks like

The two curves of the Kobold clip is producing the optical illusion as your brain is correlating the plate also following those curves. Cover up those curves and the plate looks normal again.

So tempted to build that soon. Do I've to drill the big holes 10mm and then countersunk with a 12.4-13mm bit?
This is what I do:

Drill and tap for M6 if you have to. I think with this kit you won’t need to. So just drill the M6 hole in the tube. Use a countersinking bit to open the hole little by little until the head sits the way you want.

A 12mm countersunk hole is actually less drilled out than a normal 12mm hole. It’s best to creep up on it with a proper cone shaped bit.

Hey guys long time watcher here and first time poster, i think i might have a little bit of a discovery for the dv6 bottom, upon working on roys beautiful kit and a beat up vintage of mine i began to build and assemble my grip section / kobold area, i know the general idea is that the end cap has resin and paint but upon a second glance at this photo and colour showing through i do believe the end is actually a brass cap thats been painted to blend back in, you can see the rough edges and tooling marks from metal sheet sheers/ tin snips just near the edges, i will try my best to show my rough template and crude quick test with some brass i had, bare in mind my brass is way thicker than it would be but if you look closely you can definitely see the cap shape and once you see it you cant unsee its placement. To me this explains why the end would have been painted back to a silver and why so much of the gold brass is coming through, its not a common area of ware for a 3 cell bottom and when you look around the edges you can pick out the crude cuts that they attempted to make somewhat rounded. Hope this helps and definitely would love to know your thoughts.
How thick was the brass plate?

How thick was the brass plate?
So, we did figure this out years ago and most people have found the plate to be less than 1mm thick

Check out the LV Saber thread, we have currently ongoing research into the endcap of this saber. Rim was lathed off, endcap was removed and probably put back in upside down, with the plate on top.

Check out the LV Saber thread, we have currently ongoing research into the endcap of this saber. Rim was lathed off, endcap was removed and probably put back in upside down, with the plate on top.
I just post the link here for convenience:

Sorry if it's been already discussed, I haven't found anything related to it.

Any thoughts?

I have been realizing this as well. When I was working on my 3D model for the kit, I also noticed this and I don't think it's an optical illusion!
Here are some images of my Kobold model in the position I can see on the images. It's a good millimeter lower than it should. Perhaps it's a lower Kobold? I don't think so. I think it is sitting a bit lower.

Deep-Kobold-1.jpg

Deep-Kobold-2.jpg
Deep-Kobold-3.jpg

Hi people.

I´m doing a christmas build with Roy´s kit and a blemished Roman´s shell and want to know your opinions on polishing/buffing? It seems to me that if you compare reference photos of the MoM the top half of it is very bright compared to similar period pics of Luke´s Graflex sabers... What´s the general consensus?

Hi people.

I´m doing a christmas build with Roy´s kit and a blemished Roman´s shell and want to know your opinions on polishing/buffing? It seems to me that if you compare reference photos of the MoM the top half of it is very bright compared to similar period pics of Luke´s Graflex sabers... What´s the general consensus?
The top of the DV6 is likely an early Folmer, which is typically nearly a “true chrome” finish.

2C049EDA-5B81-49C3-90E9-0796D3D0C323.png

It’s much more dramatic of a difference, in person, but here is an early Folmer (The Skywalker Ranch hilt) next to a later Folmer (the ANH hilt)….the Skywalker Ranch is much shinier; almost “chrome-looking”.

9B03535A-BACE-4574-8C08-3A676970071D.png

028C7F32-23AB-4AB7-AA78-FE3DDD53B326.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back