Roman Props MK1 Construction Help

My MK1 currently has a Goth 3D chassis that fits a 21700 and I have a Shtok chassis on order that should fit the 18650. Once it arrives, I'll do another photo test.

Yes, the diameters of the 18650, 18500, and 18350 are the same. The first two digits are the diameter in mm and the next two (plus the extra zero) are the length in mm. So an 18650 is 18mm wide by 65mm long.

Ethan Zimmer posted a video of an 18650 battery in a Shtok chassis that fit (but he's also a bit of a wizard and I may have missed something clever that he did). I think the major change is in the direction of the speaker - before, the speakers had a separate printed holder that had to fit inside the hollow clamp spacer with the speaker facing towards the emitter. With the new design by Rudy, the speaker faces the pommel without the need for an extra holder and all of the space inside the hollow clamp spacer can be filled with a longer battery.
28mm bass speaker fits! If you're using the standard crystal holders from Rudy, you have to loosen the retention screw a bit so that you can shift the collar holding the crystal closer to the center of the chamber. I imagine it would be the same for the Shtok CC inserts, but I don't have them on hand to test.

Attachments

• 20210411_100042.jpg
    20210411_100042.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 97
28mm bass speaker fits! If you're using the standard crystal holders from Rudy, you have to loosen the retention screw a bit so that you can shift the collar holding the crystal closer to the center of the chamber. I imagine it would be the same for the Shtok CC inserts, but I don't have them on hand to test.
That makes my world so much easier!

Update: the 18650 battery presses right up to the speaker using the Shtok chassis. It's possible I can get a bit more space if I shift the battery farther along the rails within the chassis by sanding down the stops, but, as designed, an 18650 is too large.

Attachments

• 20210413_163809.jpg
    20210413_163809.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 104
Update: the 18650 battery presses right up to the speaker using the Shtok chassis. It's possible I can get a bit more space if I shift the battery farther along the rails within the chassis by sanding down the stops, but, as designed, an 18650 is too large.
Dang... back to the 350 hunt...

Dang... back to the 350 hunt...
TCSS sells 18500s and I am almost positive they will fit. I ordered one last night and will share another photo once I test it. I'm pretty sure you can also trim some of the chassis to make the 18650 work, I just don't want to chance it and stall my build if I end up having to order another piece.

TCSS sells 18500s and I am almost positive they will fit. I ordered one last night and will share another photo once I test it. I'm pretty sure you can also trim some of the chassis to make the 18650 work, I just don't want to chance it and stall my build if I end up having to order another piece.
I am actually trying to get a MK1 chassis to work with Rudy’s newest V3, i machined the battery holder part to slide into the aluminum crystal chamber 2.5 more mm’s

so I am really really pushing the length limits..

If you can update me with the 500 fitting the MK1 and how much room inbetween the speaker and 500 battery, I’ll give you a big hug!

I’m also using a goth chassis.. don’t know if your using the goth chassis.. I may have to ditch it and go with the shtok

I am actually trying to get a MK1 chassis to work with Rudy’s newest V3, I machined the battery holder part to slide into the aluminum crystal chamber 2.5 more mm’s

so I am really really pushing the length limits..

If you can update me with the 500 fitting the MK1 and how much room in between the speaker and 500 battery, I’ll give you a big hug!
Will do! I'm curious to see how you adjusted the battery holder piece to fit farther into the crystal chamber. I was debating trying to push the battery farther into the chassis towards the pommel side of the hilt, but I fear doing so will cut down on the room I have for the ProffieBoard and all of the wires.

there is a lip that buts up against the rudy cage under the clamp. i threw it in my lathe and machined 2.5mm off allowing it to move further inside the cage, and letting the pommel close all the way

i did the same exact thing on romans steel v2, works just fine with the 2.5mm removed

but now im curious if i can get the dang battery to fit inside..

I’m also using a goth chassis.. don’t know if your using the goth chassis.. I may have to ditch it and go with the shtok
I'm using the Shtok chassis, but I think the fundamental issue with the batteries are the same. It can only pass so far through the area where the crystal hollow 'spacer' and the booster section meet before it starts eating up the space needed by the board.

I'm using the Shtok chassis, but I think the fundamental issue with the batteries are the same. It can only pass so far through the area where the crystal hollow 'spacer' and the booster section meet before it starts eating up the space needed by the board.
After finessing the chassis so that it fits between the spacer and the pommel cap (good old 'cold' water!), you can see than an 18650 pushes into the space needed for any speaker. I have no idea how Ethan made it work. I'm confident an 18500 will work since I don't need 15mm extra to fit the speaker.

Attachments

• 20210415_104209.jpg
    20210415_104209.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 111
Geesh I think the goth chassis has more room then that
It very well may! The distance needed between the collar into the spacer and the end of the pommel (accounting for the kill switch) is 65mm. If the Goth chassis is able to get you a few more millimeters, you may be able to make an 18650 work.

I found this one. Is this the correct battery?
Whoa. Nicely done! This is the first time I've seen a link to one. As it were, I'm pretty sure the 18500 will work because Rudy's V3 crystal chamber now has a pre-built section for the speaker.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back