Rey's Gun TFA

Did some weathering today. My torx security screws came in today as well, just need a proper driver before I can install them. All I need now is to finish the grips!

20160304_144933_zpsc7cahqug.jpg

20160304_145018_zps704jg4l3.jpg

20160304_144917_zpssjcbncai.jpg

Pretty Cool Kevin.....Ill post mine for my Grd Daughter in a few days....need to weather and finish handles....

"It changed a bit after this. Small details. The recessed square moved [at JJ's insistence]" for example.

Having seen the aforementioned prototype, I can say with certainty it is not the one on display in the Launch Bay; the grooves that run along the body are positioned differently and the front plate is two pieces (or at least the illusion of two pieces). I get the impression we won't ever see it displayed anywhere, but if it is at some point in the future, it should be easy to immediately tell that it's different from the others we have seen on display/in magazines/on screen.

Wish I could say (or even show) more, but you all know how it is :( Sorry, guys...

I know its a shot in the dark, but any chance your informant knows what it weighed?

There's one detail that has yet been overlooked that makes me think the Launch Bay pistols were not a part of the movie but built specifically for display.
If you look at the areas in the receiver section pointed with the arrows, you'll notice that the version with the two-piece front panel has a receiver made of four equally thick pieces (you can see a slight variance in weathering and coloration) :

four pieces.png

To my eye, that looks like 3mm alu plate. That would make the receiver 12mm thick, which looks and feels like a good number to me. It could be that the "production-used" prop was made in metric and the display pieces in imperial measures.

On the same note, if the torx heads are 7mm in diameter, the main body pretty much has to be around 38-40mm wide.

_A

There's one detail that has yet been overlooked that makes me think the Launch Bay pistols were not a part of the movie but built specifically for display.
If you look at the areas in the receiver section pointed with the arrows, you'll notice that the version with the two-piece front panel has a receiver made of four equally thick pieces (you can see a slight variance in weathering and coloration) :

View attachment 600771

To my eye, that looks like 3mm alu plate. That would make the receiver 12mm thick, which looks and feels like a good number to me. It could be that the "production-used" prop was made in metric and the display pieces in imperial measures.

On the same note, if the torx heads are 7mm in diameter, the main body pretty much has to be around 38-40mm wide.

_A

To be honest, I don't think ANY of the props present in the Launch Bay at Disneyland were EVER used on the actual production. IMO they are replicas (albeit high-quality replicas) produced specifically for display, which is why they differ in subtle ways from the ones we KNOW were screen-used. Just my two cents!

~JJ

To be honest, I don't think ANY of the props present in the Launch Bay at Disneyland were EVER used on the actual production. IMO they are replicas (albeit high-quality replicas) produced specifically for display, which is why they differ in subtle ways from the ones we KNOW were screen-used. Just my two cents!

~JJ

I'm guessing the same thing. I'm suspect they are just replicas built from good specs because at least they are very close. Do we know exactly what reference was screen used? For instance is the above picture verified as screen used?

Ps does seem like a 4 sandwich however to me the two middle layers look slightly thicker.
Jesse

I'm guessing the same thing. I'm suspect they are just replicas built from good specs because at least they are very close. Do we know exactly what reference was screen used? For instance is the above picture verified as screen used?

Ps does seem like a 4 sandwich however to me the two middle layers look slightly thicker.
Jesse

I think the WIRED ones actually are screen-used, they seemed to have lots of Behind-The-Scenes photos from the actual prop department.

. Do we know exactly what reference was screen used? For instance is the above picture verified as screen used?
Jesse

Not really. I tried looking, but there aren't really any good enough pics to screen match either version. Noway to know for sure before the blu-ray release I guess.
But. The one used for the visual dictionary has the "fishing line" detail on it, which means that they used this picture, just with the background cropped off:
Rey_Blaster.png

Not 100% confirmation, but I'd reckon the photography for the visual dictionary would have been taken during the production. The split-front version was also the one used for the press releases, but that really confirms nothing. I am pretty convinced the split-front/four layer receiver version is the screen used.

_A

I don't suppose anyone knows if there are any plans to release a high-end collectible replica of Rey's blaster by any of the big names ( like Master Replicas, Anovos or Factory Entertainment ), or if anyone is planning an all-metal run for rpf'ers?

I don't suppose anyone knows if there are any plans to release a high-end collectible replica of Rey's blaster by any of the big names ( like Master Replicas, Anovos or Factory Entertainment ), or if anyone is planning an all-metal run for rpf'ers?

I don't believe anyone currently has the high-end replica prop license for Star Wars yet (Hasbro obv has the toy license). Last I heard ANOVOS was trying to acquire it (Dunno how good an idea that would be, though).

I am willing and able to do a small all-metal run. I'll post a separate thread once I get my prototype shipshape.

_A

I am willing and able to do a small all-metal run. I'll post a separate thread once I get my prototype shipshape.A

Now that's what I want. It would be great fun, and easier for you, to assemble an all-metal kit with simple hand tools.
I recently re-evaluated my 'movie weapons' collection and decided that from now on it's metal pistols only.
There's a nice spot on the shelf next to Solo's Greedo Killer and Obiwan's Tunisia saber for this blaster!.
I will keep an eye out for your finished prototype.

Last edited:

I plan to a short run of mine maybe 10 or so. A couple are already spoken for. They wont be too cheap tho..prob somewhere around 750-1250 in various forms.. still have to figure all the time and materials. You can make them much cheaper if you do it yourself and are willing to put in the time / effort etc.

Work in progress. 9035d975-397b-41d8-8272-dc0cb1bcaf44.jpg

And if you havn't seen it i started a behind the scenes video on my progress here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0O-1jQyEA

Jesse

Not sure if this is of interest, but I'm currently doing a buildup of my kit for another RPFer and thought I'd show one way to paint printed kits to look like aluminum.

This project started as my own blaster, which was painted in Alclad Chrome, but I wasn't really happy with the look because it was a little too "plastic chrome", so decided to redo it using a technique I came up with while doing my Hellboy Room Keys a few years ago. It's still Alclad Chrome applied with an airbrush, but the initial layer is wet-sanded down with 400 grit, slightly unevenly, and then rubbed with steel wool. After that a new layer of Chrome is misted on. This created an unevenness in the surface and makes it look very much like aluminum that has been subjected to the elements a bit, because it catches the light at different angles. Leaving the occasional "ding" in the surface adds to the idea that it's been handled a bit as well. It's a little hard to photograph, but this might give you an idea.

alum.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back