Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I'm in the process of putting a costume together for my wife, and had a question about the arm wraps. If we plan to use the compression sleeves, is it best to glue or permanently attach the wraps to the sleeve? Or do you just re-wrap the sleeves each time, and the compression sleeve helps it stay put? Thanks in advance!

I tacked mine. I used velcro too in the beginning, but the warmer I got, the stickier the velcro glue got. I just tacked them in strategic spots (which is a pain in the kazoo and you'll either need help or a mannequin with arms, but it's worth it). I guess you could also use fabric glue if you wrapped your arm in cellophane under the compression sleeve and then applied the glue and let it air dry.

Cyclist sleeves are good price I am noticing. I am thinking about trying a pair of tights trimmed and the crotch cut out. It can make an off shoulder top with sleeves if done right. If it doesn't sit right i can always try another route. But I am thinking knee highs or something of the sort for under the wraps. For those interested in a cheap option.

It appears someone is selling a "repro" British P 37 bag on eBay, for those that might want to "dirty it up yourselves" for authenticity:

Item number: 331611544848

(no affiliation, just an observation) ;)

Hmmmm.. it's not *exactly* right. It seems to be a combinantion of the signals satchel and the small haversack from the m37 web gear:

here's the repro above:

s-l1600.jpg

But it should look like this:
satch11.jpg

The main difference is in how the ends of the flap look. The signals Satchel has sort of "closed" ends, where this repro has "open" ends. Also, the flap is beveled too sharply.

it's not a *horrible* option... it will just take tons of modification (far more than the real one) and I say this having modified one almost exactly like this repro and ultimately I'm getting a signals satchel to have it more accurate.

One GOOD thing about this repro is that they included the wide webbing reinforcement on the sides... even the bag I used didn't have that.

Cyclist sleeves are good price I am noticing. I am thinking about trying a pair of tights trimmed and the crotch cut out. It can make an off shoulder top with sleeves if done right. If it doesn't sit right i can always try another route. But I am thinking knee highs or something of the sort for under the wraps. For those interested in a cheap option.

The Adidas ones I mentioned above that I used were only $15 each at Sports Authority. :) Some of the prices I'm seeing are $40-50 each...that's crazy!

Hmmmm.. it's not *exactly* right. It seems to be a combinantion of the signals satchel and the small haversack from the m37 web gear:

here's the repro above:

View attachment 574768

But it should look like this:
View attachment 574765

The main difference is in how the ends of the flap look. The signals Satchel has sort of "closed" ends, where this repro has "open" ends. Also, the flap is beveled too sharply.

it's not a *horrible* option... it will just take tons of modification (far more than the real one) and I say this having modified one almost exactly like this repro and ultimately I'm getting a signals satchel to have it more accurate.

One GOOD thing about this repro is that they included the wide webbing reinforcement on the sides... even the bag I used didn't have that.

Agreed, I never said "exactly" like. I know there are a handful of us out there that want EXACT! ..and are prepared to pay for it, and research till our eyes bug out to find the exact thing. I do also know there are folks out there that want something "semi close" and are "ok" with the next best thing. This post was for them. ;)

do you have any pics of your ace bandage wraps?
These are natural lighting. This side is not tacked. (The side I tacked looks no different, but I just wanted to illustrate that straight wrapping will stick too, with the self adhesive bandages- I'm overly cautious so tacking...yes.) I also took one of the compression sleeve to illustrate the method. I dyed them with pearl gray and dark brown, but it came out a bit darker than I was aiming for. Use them EXTREMELY sparingly for lighter results. I thought I was being light handed, but the material of the compression sleeves soaked it up in ten seconds. They were white, and this is after about 20 seconds in the dye bath. Nonetheless, it creates depth in any gaps, so I left it that color.

20160107_170329[1].jpg20160107_170656[1].jpg20160107_170708[1].jpg20160107_170810[1].jpg

Last edited:
Hm....I almost went with the ACE fabric bandages as well, but as far as I can see from the hi-res photos, Rey's arm wraps don't have see-through gaps in them. So back on the hunt I go!

Wrap dress - I'm going to be ordering the viscose fabric from Dharma Trading. After consulting with two other good costumers in town, we think it's the closest thing any of us can find to her actual fabric.

Pants - We're going to try using the back side of the raw silk fabric (which is not as nubby as the front). I can't find the right silk for the pants and am on limited funds. So since I've already got 3 yards of the raw silk, I'm going to use it and hope it's passable. *fingers crossed*

These are natural lighting. This side is not tacked. (The side I tacked looks no different, but I just wanted to illustrate that straight wrapping will stick too, with the self adhesive bandages- I'm overly cautious so tacking...yes.) I also took one of the compression sleeve to illustrate the method. I dyed them with pearl gray and dark brown, but it came out a bit darker than I was aiming for. Use them EXTREMELY sparingly for lighter results. I thought I was being light handed, but the material of the compression sleeves soaked it up in ten seconds. They were white, and this is after about 20 seconds in the dye bath. Nonetheless, it creates depth in any gaps, so I left it that color.

View attachment 574912View attachment 574914View attachment 574915View attachment 574916

thx for the pics. Those do look pretty good. Is this it, 4 inches?

http://www.amazon.com/ACE-Self-Adhe...743&sr=8-6&keywords=Ace+bandage+self+adhering

were the wraps dyed too or just the sleeve?

Wrap dress - I'm going to be ordering the viscose fabric from Dharma Trading. After

....this was " Zhan natural solid gauze " from Joann. # 400076491892 It was spiced in 3 places to make the wrap 1 long piece. The "natural" picture on the website looks almost this color, but in person at the store it was a cream/ tan color so we used the rit pearl grey dye on it.

....this was " Zhan natural solid gauze " from Joann. # 400076491892 It was spiced in 3 places to make the wrap 1 long piece. The "natural" picture on the website looks almost this color, but in person at the store it was a cream/ tan color so we used the rit pearl grey dye on it.

Did you seam the edges when you spliced? Or leave rough?

thx for the pics. Those do look pretty good. Is this it, 4 inches?

http://www.amazon.com/ACE-Self-Adhe...743&sr=8-6&keywords=Ace+bandage+self+adhering

were the wraps dyed too or just the sleeve?

Most welcome. I should have all of her back together in the next few days, and I'll have better pictures. I remade several elements because, well...I'm never satisfied. Haha. The wraps were airbrushed with a size three needle on a Paasche Talon, so that's why they're a bit more dirty on the edges. And yes, that is the exact bandage I used. I got them at Walmart for $5.67 each, bought three and split one in half, sewing each half to one single and that gave me plenty for the length of each arm.

Also of a funny note....we have the same mannequin with the wood cap. Mine is currently behind me sporting Frozen Fever Elsa and some Jedi robes. Hilarious. I love that manny.

And since I keep mentioning that I've used it numerous times during this build...if you have an airbrush, use it. This is the remade shirt I am currently weathering. I folded it onto itself to show the difference. the top is after a RIT brown/gray mix, and the bottom is the same, after a pass on the Paasche with the same mix in higher concentration. A quick pass with a wide nozzle makes the weathering look really great. Her colors are very uneven, thus, I think, contributing to the grey on some lights, brown in another effect.20160107_203928.jpg.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back