Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

SignalsSatchelNo1.jpg

Found on http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/satchel.html

There's clearly variation between the '37 satchels. This one is described as being approximately 4 inches deep.

Hmmmm.. it's not *exactly* right. It seems to be a combinantion of the signals satchel and the small haversack from the m37 web gear:

here's the repro above:

View attachment 574768

But it should look like this:
View attachment 574765

The main difference is in how the ends of the flap look. The signals Satchel has sort of "closed" ends, where this repro has "open" ends. Also, the flap is beveled too sharply.

it's not a *horrible* option... it will just take tons of modification (far more than the real one) and I say this having modified one almost exactly like this repro and ultimately I'm getting a signals satchel to have it more accurate.

One GOOD thing about this repro is that they included the wide webbing reinforcement on the sides... even the bag I used didn't have that.

I'm trying to figure out where you get the piece that goes over the top of the bag. The long strip of fabric that runs across the top and is longer on one side. I can't visualize where the extra fabric comes from when you cut down the bag. Is the strip seamed? Thanks!

beltbag2Top piece.jpg

I'm trying to figure out where you get the piece that goes over the top of the bag. The long strip of fabric that runs across the top and is longer on one side. I can't visualize where the extra fabric comes from when you cut down the bag. Is the strip seamed? Thanks!

View attachment 575101

The piece you've highlighted hasn't been cut down off the original bag, while the 'body' of the bag and the overlapping part of the 'lid' have been. That's why it overlaps down so far.

....this was " Zhan natural solid gauze " from Joann. # 400076491892 It was spiced in 3 places to make the wrap 1 long piece. The "natural" picture on the website looks almost this color, but in person at the store it was a cream/ tan color so we used the rit pearl grey dye on it.

The natural or the papyrus color? And thank you!

My receipt shows "natural." But the color in the store looked more like what the website shows for "papyrus" to me. The pic they have for "natural" looks more like how it came out after it was dyed. I'll try to put up a pic of the original color to show you what i mean. Is there a store by you or are you looking at ordering it?

....this was " Zhan natural solid gauze " from Joann. # 400076491892 It was spiced in 3 places to make the wrap 1 long piece. The "natural" picture on the website looks almost this color, but in person at the store it was a cream/ tan color so we used the rit pearl grey dye on it.

Since you had to splice it, I'm assuming the "wrinkles" run parallel to the width. Is that correct?

The wrinkles will go vertically, the same way the pleats in it run. And because of the way it comes off the bolt, the only way that can happen is with splices.

I will try to get a pic up later today that shows the original color of the "natural" vs how it turned out after the dye.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone is Interested but a few of us over at the RPF Facebook page identified a piece of Reys staff

We identified it as a Burnerd multisize chuck collet
Could have used that info 2 months ago when I was scratch building one. :facepalm

edit.
From a quick image search it looks like many assorted machining parts where used in making the staff parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
My receipt shows "natural." But the color in the store looked more like what the website shows for "papyrus" to me. The pic they have for "natural" looks more like how it came out after it was dyed. I'll try to put up a pic of the original color to show you what i mean. Is there a store by you or are you looking at ordering it?

I've got a local store. And I get what you're saying. I'll just check it out. :)

The piece you've highlighted hasn't been cut down off the original bag, while the 'body' of the bag and the overlapping part of the 'lid' have been. That's why it overlaps down so far.

So you got the large bag not the small Ember? ....and just seam ripped and cut it down, sewed it smaller? Is that correct?

Great find. I looked up one of the things the article mentioned and found this.

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1937/1937_haversacks.html

4 Inches deep is correct. The place i found in the UK sell those satchels, silvermans on ebay.

So you got the large bag not the small Ember? ....and just seam ripped and cut it down, sewed it smaller? Is that correct?

The 37 Satchel is the correct one for the butt-bag/belt bag. the flap has a rectangle cut off and the edge folded down, the bag ends up being about 3 inches smaller width ways than it started out as.

What other parts have jumped out?

- D

Some chucks have shapes very similar to the end pieces.
For the very end with the hole I used a scrap piece I got from a machine shop here in town where Kenny works (Elvis Trooper).

Originally I was thinking about having hem make all the parts for me but it would have cost to much.

The materials I bought was a few couplers, pipe, wood dowel, O rings and some washers.
The rest was done with things I had around the house.
Sheet styrene, Epoxy Putty, glazing putty, misc pieces of junk. .

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back