Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

TheLadyNerd

As the new trailer for the Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted debuted today, my Facebook feed (mine included) has been a-buzz with images and talk of people wanting to cosplay Rey. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a VERY popular costume. So, in following the massive Tron Legacy and my Tomb Raider 2013 thread, this is not just a personal build thread but open to everyone! Post all the images and information you can find so this can be the one stop shop for all Rey cosplayers to get their costume/prop information, ask questions, and show off their Rey costumes! Tally ho! :)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Materials List

Hair
Material: Buns are wrapped in brown wool

Headwrap
Material: Hand-woven natural fabric 55”
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html
Amount: 6 yards
Goggle base: Vaccum Formed TK faceplate
Lenses: Green acrylic stormtrooper lenses
Add. Materials: Grey wool Army blanket, white pigskin leather, Alice clips

Undershirt
Colour
: Off-white
Material: Hemp-jersey cotton
http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/hemp-cotton-jersey-knit-blend-52-inch.html?lnav=fabric.html
Amount: 3-5 yards

Wrap Dress
Colour
: Taupe
Material: Viscose (officially). Best match found thus far is a Crinkle Viscose
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRINKLE-VISCOSE-WHITE-DRESS-FABRIC-FREE-P-P-/141904622207?
Amount: 3-4 meters

Arm Wraps
Colour: Distressed Beige
Material: Cotton Bubble
- Look for cotton crepe medical gauze

Cuff
Material: Leather
Seller - https://www.etsy.com/listing/261335338/rey-inspired-leather-wrist-cuff
Diagram (should you wish to do it yourself)
Reys bracer pattern.jpg

Belt
Colour
: Brown
Material: Top grain Leather, Brass Circle, twine
Diagram
BnCt0y9.jpg

Pants
Colour: Greyish-tan
Material: Still debating (but it’s type of silk). So far, many have taken pre-existing pants (like the Forever 21 palazzo pants) and modified them

Boots
Po-Zu Piper IV Brown (screen accurate) - http://po-zu.com/collections/womens/products/piper-v-dark-brown

Satchel
British M37 Signals Satchel
(must be cut down to be screen accurate)

Staff
Custom 3D Print

Makeup
(Actual makeup used in the film)
- Tom Ford Traceless Foundation (sheer and a little glowy)
- A few freckles were flicked on top with brown cream pigment
- By Terry Brightening CC Lumi-Serum in Sunny Flash on her cheeks (very sheer for sun-kissed look and contour)
- Tap brown MAC and Skin Illustrator pigments all over skin (for dirt. They also used sterilized sand as well, not sure of an alternative for that)
- Bobbi Brown dark brown eyeliner (smudged)
- Taupe eye shadow (only in the crease)
- Kanebo Sensai 38C mascara (apply only at root)

Last edited:
The photos out of Celebration from iO9 are SO HELPFUL! I'm going to suss out the fabrics (going to try to get a build done in time for the premiere), so will report back! But I reckon based on the photos x the way the fabric moves in the trailer, the cross-body draped stuff is either a very fine cotton muslin, or potentially a really trashed silk chiffon. Probably the former though, since it's harder wearing.

Screen_Shot_2015-04-16_at_1.38.59_PM.0.pngmvanwalks421 - It's certainly and apt comparison (especially since in the concept art of Rey behind the costume (photo), she looks to be sporting a Han-style blaster.

Zorg - GREAT pictures! It's great to see some high-res stuff of her costume already up! I'm really curious about that fabric....(well, obviously there's multiple pieces, thus multiple fabrics in play, but hmm....wondering if the gauze-like fabric is linen strips or perhaps bubble cotton?

Clembot - Good luck on your build! I have no idea when I'm going to do mine. I definitely want to do it right (aka ALL THE REFERNCE!), but I'm leaning towards Dragoncon due to some injuries I have from a car accident last year. This costume looks breathable (aka good for hot Atlanta weather), functional (easy to move in, not restrictive of any of my injured spots), and a staff that I might be able to double for a walking staff around the con floor. :D

11152691_10153778962193662_3708002077531525726_n.jpg

11152691_10153778962193662_3708002077531525726_n.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-04-16_at_1.38.59_PM.0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Some kind folks at Celebration are apparently hard at work getting pictures up for us. :D Just found this one of a placard describing the materials that Rey's costume is made out of.

11169478_10206185044402401_873939139926890146_n.jpg

MATERIALS:

Wrap dress
- viscose
Head wrap - cotton
Top - hemp and cotton jersey
Trousers - silk
Backpack - leather
Wrist cuff and belt - leather
Pouch - canvas
Arm wraps - cotton
Gloves - leather
Boots - wool and leather
Staff - 3D print

Also a closeup of the concept art of Rey. Definitely very Han Solo-ish.

11150154_10152750329974071_5646649808119956938_n.jpg

I was thinking that people might be jumping on this as soon as I saw the pictures from the live stream yesterday, so definetly right place to come! :3
And so many awesome pictures already!!
And of course the fabric list, that's gonna be handy.
I'm thinking of making it myself in the near future, so this will be fun!

So the color of the cloth is beige/sand/grey ish. Would it be best to achieve that through colouring white cloth or?

I think everything is a natural colour, not white, and weathered. You can see the white contrast with the mannequin. So... natural colour plus weathering is my best choice,

Yeah you're right. Well...I will sit down and order in fabrics to see what will fit. Hoping to get it as accurate as possible.
Would like to see more of the hairstyle that she has too, only two pictures so far showing it off vaguely

Some kind folks at Celebration are apparently hard at work getting pictures up for us. :D Just found this one of a placard describing the materials that Rey's costume is made out of.

View attachment 465472

MATERIALS:

Wrap dress
- viscose
Head wrap - cotton
Top - hemp and cotton jersey
Trousers - silk
Backpack - leather
Wrist cuff and belt - leather
Pouch - canvas
Arm wraps - cotton
Gloves - leather
Boots - wool and leather
Staff - 3D print
Oh that is FANTASTIC news! Viscose, duh Clem!! *smacks self on forehead*

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back