Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by TheLadyNerd, Apr 16, 2015.

1. TheLadyNerd

TheLadyNerd Well-Known Member

As the new trailer for the Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted debuted today, my Facebook feed (mine included) has been a-buzz with images and talk of people wanting to cosplay Rey. I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a VERY popular costume. So, in following the massive Tron Legacy and my Tomb Raider 2013 thread, this is not just a personal build thread but open to everyone! Post all the images and information you can find so this can be the one stop shop for all Rey cosplayers to get their costume/prop information, ask questions, and show off their Rey costumes! Tally ho! :)
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Materials List

Hair
    Material: Buns are wrapped in brown wool

Headwrap
    Material: Hand-woven natural fabric 55”
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html
    Amount: 6 yards
    Goggle base: Vaccum Formed TK faceplate
    Lenses: Green acrylic stormtrooper lenses
    Add. Materials: Grey wool Army blanket, white pigskin leather, Alice clips

Undershirt
    Colour
    : Off-white
    Material: Hemp-jersey cotton
    http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/hemp-cotton-jersey-knit-blend-52-inch.html?lnav=fabric.html
    Amount: 3-5 yards

Wrap Dress
    Colour
    : Taupe
    Material: Viscose (officially). Best match found thus far is a Crinkle Viscose
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRINKLE-VISCOSE-WHITE-DRESS-FABRIC-FREE-P-P-/141904622207?
    Amount: 3-4 meters

Arm Wraps
    Colour: Distressed Beige
    Material: Cotton Bubble
    - Look for cotton crepe medical gauze

Cuff
    Material: Leather
    Seller - https://www.etsy.com/listing/261335338/rey-inspired-leather-wrist-cuff
    Diagram (should you wish to do it yourself)
    Reys bracer pattern.jpg

Belt
    Colour
    : Brown
    Material: Top grain Leather, Brass Circle, twine
    Diagram
    BnCt0y9.jpg

Pants
    Colour: Greyish-tan
    Material: Still debating (but it’s type of silk). So far, many have taken pre-existing pants (like the Forever 21 palazzo pants) and modified them

Boots
    Po-Zu Piper IV Brown (screen accurate) - http://po-zu.com/collections/womens/products/piper-v-dark-brown

Satchel
    British M37 Signals Satchel
    (must be cut down to be screen accurate)

Staff
    Custom 3D Print

Makeup
    (Actual makeup used in the film)
    - Tom Ford Traceless Foundation (sheer and a little glowy)
    - A few freckles were flicked on top with brown cream pigment
    - By Terry Brightening CC Lumi-Serum in Sunny Flash on her cheeks (very sheer for sun-kissed look and contour)
    - Tap brown MAC and Skin Illustrator pigments all over skin (for dirt. They also used sterilized sand as well, not sure of an alternative for that)
    - Bobbi Brown dark brown eyeliner (smudged)
    - Taupe eye shadow (only in the crease)
    - Kanebo Sensai 38C mascara (apply only at root)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

4. mvanwalks421

mvanwalks421 Active Member

I know this is a bit of a derail, but Rey's concept art looks a lot like the young Han concept art

[​IMG]

ameliewincheste likes this.
  5. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

got some for you

Attached Files:

• rey.jpg
      rey.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • rey2.jpg
      rey2.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • ray3.jpg
      ray3.jpg
      File size:
      950.8 KB
      Views:
    • rey4.jpg
      rey4.jpg
      File size:
      802.5 KB
      Views:
    • ray5.jpg
      ray5.jpg
      File size:
      973 KB
      Views:
  6. clembot

clembot Active Member

The photos out of Celebration from iO9 are SO HELPFUL! I'm going to suss out the fabrics (going to try to get a build done in time for the premiere), so will report back! But I reckon based on the photos x the way the fabric moves in the trailer, the cross-body draped stuff is either a very fine cotton muslin, or potentially a really trashed silk chiffon. Probably the former though, since it's harder wearing.

7. TheLadyNerd

Screen_Shot_2015-04-16_at_1.38.59_PM.0.png mvanwalks421 - It's certainly and apt comparison (especially since in the concept art of Rey behind the costume (photo), she looks to be sporting a Han-style blaster.

Zorg - GREAT pictures! It's great to see some high-res stuff of her costume already up! I'm really curious about that fabric....(well, obviously there's multiple pieces, thus multiple fabrics in play, but hmm....wondering if the gauze-like fabric is linen strips or perhaps bubble cotton?

Clembot - Good luck on your build! I have no idea when I'm going to do mine. I definitely want to do it right (aka ALL THE REFERNCE!), but I'm leaning towards Dragoncon due to some injuries I have from a car accident last year. This costume looks breathable (aka good for hot Atlanta weather), functional (easy to move in, not restrictive of any of my injured spots), and a staff that I might be able to double for a walking staff around the con floor. :D

11152691_10153778962193662_3708002077531525726_n.jpg

11152691_10153778962193662_3708002077531525726_n.jpg

Screen_Shot_2015-04-16_at_1.38.59_PM.0.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. TheLadyNerd

Some kind folks at Celebration are apparently hard at work getting pictures up for us. :D Just found this one of a placard describing the materials that Rey's costume is made out of.

11169478_10206185044402401_873939139926890146_n.jpg

MATERIALS:

Wrap dress
    - viscose
    Head wrap - cotton
    Top - hemp and cotton jersey
    Trousers - silk
    Backpack - leather
    Wrist cuff and belt - leather
    Pouch - canvas
    Arm wraps - cotton
    Gloves - leather
    Boots - wool and leather
    Staff - 3D print

Also a closeup of the concept art of Rey. Definitely very Han Solo-ish.

11150154_10152750329974071_5646649808119956938_n.jpg

DawnDreams and dkwd like this.
  9. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Her goggles look like they were made from classic storm-trooper hero lenses

10. Pete SSS

Pete SSS Well-Known Member

The end of her staff looks a lot like a Darth Maul saber emitter to me.

11. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

The boots look like a very weathered type of the UGG boots

australian-ugg-boots-1.gif

Not similar to the UGG like Nomad Scavenger boots but UGG like ;)
    Does anybody sees the similarity?

20150417-exhibition-desert-nomad-03-bg.jpg

12. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Definetly, they look to be the base, but pretty sure they modified them:

UGG-Australia-Bailey-Button-Sand-Ankle-Boot-1.jpg

13. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

I suppose so ;)

I think if you find the right model (right knitting pattern), you could weather the wool with acetic acid/vinnegar to get this look.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  14. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I do not think you could find them. They look to be production modified, not a buy-n-go boots.

15. Ibelinn

Ibelinn New Member

I was thinking that people might be jumping on this as soon as I saw the pictures from the live stream yesterday, so definetly right place to come! :3
    And so many awesome pictures already!!
    And of course the fabric list, that's gonna be handy.
    I'm thinking of making it myself in the near future, so this will be fun!

So the color of the cloth is beige/sand/grey ish. Would it be best to achieve that through colouring white cloth or?

16. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I think everything is a natural colour, not white, and weathered. You can see the white contrast with the mannequin. So... natural colour plus weathering is my best choice,

17. Ibelinn

Ibelinn New Member

Yeah you're right. Well...I will sit down and order in fabrics to see what will fit. Hoping to get it as accurate as possible.
    Would like to see more of the hairstyle that she has too, only two pictures so far showing it off vaguely

18. Victor3

Victor3 Well-Known Member

That's very nice of them to list all the fabric types for you!

19. clembot

clembot Active Member

Oh that is FANTASTIC news! Viscose, duh Clem!! *smacks self on forehead*

20. clembot

clembot Active Member

Yes I believe they are! There's a better look at them "unwrapped" in the first teaser:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.16.40 pm.png Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 11.16.26 pm.png

21. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Luckily Dharma Trading is the go-to for all things SW and Jedi fabrics! They have all of her fabrics:

Hemp/jersey: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...52-inch.html?lnav=fabric.html&hc_location=ufi

Viscose: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric...ch-wide.html?lnav=fabric.html&hc_location=ufi

Full cotton section: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/cotton-fabrics.html?hc_location=ufi

Full silk section...and their raw silk is cheap and amazing! Possibly what her pants are?: http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/silk-fabrics.html

22. padmik

padmik New Member

Oh yes! I'm so happy this thread exists. I've been eyeing Rey since I saw the first trailer. I may have to drop another cosplay to do hers, but I'm all for that. This outfit looks like it'll work perfectly for Dragon Con's weather so I may do it for that.

23. TheLadyNerd

Hair - I'm curious too. Even closeups of her, show only the front of her face, so it's nigh impossible to see what's going on in the back. So here's to hoping they'll be nice enough to release more images of Rey for us. (I mean, hey, they already provided a handy fabric list with the costume exhibit! So there's hope!)

Fabric - Thank you Nadine for the amazing links to Dharma! I always get nervous with fabric hunting online as I'm still fairly uneducated past the basics (vs. being able to actually hold it and see it in hand at a store. I'll totally check out Fine Fabrics and Gail K. Fabrics up here in Atlanta, but I have a sneaking suspicion they're not going to have these.).

Though on note to the wrap dress, are there different kinds of viscose? I just did a quick search on the fabric, and it seems to lay like cotton, so I'm curious how best one would get the ripple-y sort of effect going on with dress. Perhaps it's just how the fabric lays? Or...? (I would just be worried about buying say, the Dharma viscose rayon/silk fabric and having it lay flat without the 'wrinkles' (forgive me, I'm lacking in proper terminology) the wrap dress has).

Boots I'm coming the same conclusion as well that her boots are some sort of modified UGG. Thankfully, there appears to be a lot of knock-off brands on Ebay. It'll just be a matter of finding the right shade/fabric. This'll be an adventure as I've never modified shoes before.

Staff - I know it was 3D printed, so I imagine that they did concept art and then rendered it to be printed as one full piece. (Or possibly multiple pieces that could be then assembled together).

24. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Dharma is excellent at swatches! And I know a lot of people go to them for Jedi fabric. Definitely order your self a set of swatches to get a good feel. They are my go-to for any natural fabrics. And they all dye beautifully. They're who I went to for the handwoven cotton for Gandalf! It was a dead on match.

25. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I can 100% guarantee you that staff was printed in multiple sections. While you can technically modify certain 3D printers (like a Delta) to have an "infinite" z-axis, even the $100,000 industrial printers would not be able to print something like that in one go. It's definitely multiple parts, and possibly able to be disassembled to make it easier to transport and less likely to be damaged when stored between use.

Also, I'm pretty sure her boots are 100% custom fabricated like everything else we are seeing here. It's the same style as Ugg boots (which are just a brand of sheepskin boots) but I doubt it's an actual Ugg boot, as I don't think LucasFilm's costume department would use such an incredibly popular/obvious accessory for the main character's costume. That said, it's similar enough to an Ugg where I agree that you can just buy a pair of them (or any sheepskin boot) and weather/age them to achieve a reasonable facsimile. :)

26. TheLadyNerd

GUYS!! As Celtic Ruin's Costumes just pointed out to me, you can order swatches of the fabrics from Dharma! How cool is that?! I'm tempted to start ordering (or maybe leave the ordering to someone else more versed in fabrics?).

JJ Griffin - Duly noted. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of 3D printing is very limited. I was just getting into it at my job before my car accident last year. So I was learning some of the equipment, but only scratched the surface. It does make much more sense for the staff to have been made in pieces. (Forgive me, I haven't had my morning tea...)

I thought of that too (especially after having worked on Mockingjay Part I and II. Every last costume item was created custom for the films, even down to the boots. So it would make sense that Lucasfilm would do the same. But since not many of us costumers are good with the cobbling front of things, modifying existing UGG boots sounds like the way to go.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  27. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Looks to be an easy modification as you already would have the leather from the boot, and also the patterns for the wool pieces.

It has the original Darth Maul "short" handle so maybe they also used original moulds or pieces from the PT.

protomaul.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure they bought the cheapest chinese boots they could find over there.

28. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I suppose it's possible, although everything on the rest of the costumes we have seen seems so meticulously fabricated and custom-built-- nothing else looks even remotely "store bought"-- that I really feel like they probably had at least one cordwainer on-crew to fabricate the various footwear. *shrug*

29. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

What I meant is they bought the chinese boots to use them as a base, not to use them as is.

30. TheLadyNerd

On note to fabrics, I'm wondering some things...

- Could the headwrap be cotton bubble? I can't tell if it's another fabric like it or if it is cotton bubble that's wrapped multiple times as to not be sheer.
    - Not sure what kind of cotton the arm wraps are..Hm.
    - I just ordered samples for
    - 55% Hemp / 45% Cotton Jersey Knit 26"
    - Viscose Rayon / Silk Blend - 58"
    - Osnaburg Cotton 45"
    - Cotton Bubble Gauze 50"
    - Quilter's Flannel Double Nap 108"

I'm actually surprised, looking at the leather wrist cuffs that they're not finished with some sort of seamline, just straight-cut (again, forgive me if my terminology is wrong). It'll definitely be simple to do, but again, interesting they chose to go that simpler looking route.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  31. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks more likely to me like they cannibalized one of the old hasbro maul toys

32. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

Anakin Starkiller, Makes lots of sense as it has been made in the past, even at the OT with the TIE Bomber.

33. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Ah, gotcha.

34. clembot

clembot Active Member

On closer inspection I'm wondering whether the boots could even be a felted wool with a leather sole? (There are plenty of these online, too, if you don't feel like felting a pair of booties...!) Something like this:

rubber_sole_felt_wool_boots_brown_natural_woolwalker_11q100-square.jpg

As for the viscose, TheLadyNerd, if it's a fine chiffon/"lining" weight, the crinkly effect would be achieved by gathering and steaming; a little like a Japanese shibori technique but without the dyes: here's a good blog post on shibori pleating. Issey Miyake clothes are a good reference for this, too:

issey-miyake-pleated-black-dress-2.jpg

To get a less considered/symmetrical look, you just get sloppy with your pleating/sewing! :lol
    Also, dyeing and thrashing the fabric *after* the pleating would give it the worn look that Rey's tunic has.

35. clembot

clembot Active Member

More on the boots - from the closeup from this photo post, it looks like they fasten with two straps around the back of the ankle (in about the same place the Ugg "Cardy" boots have buttons, haha)? I wonder if anyone got a shot from the back...

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.09.11 pm.png

Nice closeup on the greeblies on the left shoulder-strap, too! Looks like they might have gone to town on some army disposals supplies for the loops, just like the old days... *weeps quietly*

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 12.12.32 pm.png

36. Xeveous

Xeveous New Member

Thanks for starting this thread Lady Nerd. I was thinking of doing the costume for my daughter. In searching around I came across this Hasbro toy for Slave Leia. The Force pike looks somewhat similar to Rey's electrostaff. What do you guys think?

slaveleia_tape.jpg

Also I have 3d Printer so If we can find decent 3d files I can print the staff for you. The closest thing I can find so far is the emperial force pike... which is close but not close enough: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:518633

37. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

The staff should not be difficult or expensive to get modeled as every part of it is geometric for the most part (not a whole lot of sculpting necessary, thankfully).

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-127.jpg

38. clembot

clembot Active Member

Yep - and the wrapping just looks like cotton (either cheesecloth, calico or bandage) and leather cord!

39. TheLadyNerd

One of my friends was SUPER kind enough to nab me some closeups of Rey's costume, specifically of the side of the shoes (thanks for the idea, Clembot!) Looks to be some sort of tab fastening...or maybe...y'know, I'm not entirely sure what that fastening is. Ideas?

[​IMG]

Closeup of the shoe fabric. Definitely a wool knit. That's going to be interesting to find (and then rough up). :D

[​IMG]

40. DlarianFerrel

DlarianFerrel Active Member

I've been scouring the images trying to figure out the fabrics since I want to make this myself, and the head wrap to me looks almost like a light weight blanket. Similar to the ones you are given in a hospital to keep warm. Not much more than a woven sheet. I'll see if I can find an image.

41. DlarianFerrel

Bath_Blankets5-900x650.jpg

Like this actually..

42. TheLadyNerd

Dlarian Ferrel - Did you see the fabric list I posted on Page 1? There was actually a list of the fabrics inside the exhibit case for Rey's costume at Star Wars celebration. As to the specific fabrics, I'm not 100% sure what types of cotton, though Celtic Ruin's Costumes and I have made some educated guesses. I just ordered fabric swatches from Dharma Trading this weekend. I'll post pictures when I get them and see if we can't figure it out. :)

I ordered a swatch of Osnaburg Cotton for the headwrap. It may not be the right one, but it looks to have a similar weave (and the description says it's soft after washing). could be wrong though (as I'm still learning about the different types of cotton). http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/osnaburg-cotton-45-inch.html

43. DlarianFerrel

I did see the list, I have a copy of it saved. The blanket seemed to have the right texture for the head wraps to me, so I may see if I can find one to get a good picture of to show what it looks like. I planned on getting some swatches too, so I can find out if it is available locally.

44. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

Those loops don't look quite like mil-surp to me, just some canvas or cotton webbing sewn onto a backing to form loops. In fact, I have a belt that came with a pair of shorts that looks almost exactly like those loops, they're a simple web belt go through 2 metal D rings and hold closed with friction. I don't know if this style of belt is sold separately anywhere but it should be easy enough to find the webbing. In fact, here's some at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Cotton-W...qid=1429556713&sr=8-4&keywords=cotton+webbing the weave looks to be about the same and the color is very close, just needs a little dye and/or weathering to match.

Here's a side by side comparison.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

45. clembot

clembot Active Member

Ahh, should have clarified - British army disposals, not US ;)

britishpouch.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me - since she's a scavenger - if they hacked up some British surplus to save on weathering new webbing. It's a very dense cotton canvas (a bit like yoga straps), and looks the right width for those loops:

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 9.15.58 am.png IMG_5592690asgelhr.jpg

The good news is these are like $10 max, and I'm thinking the rest of the fabric could be repurposed for Rey's belt pouch.

(As you can see I'm really focusing on the most important bit of the costume)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  46. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

What's it supossed to be?

47. clembot

clembot Active Member

48. clembot

clembot Active Member

Now we just need someone to ID all the greeblies:

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-117.jpg

49. MasterEdi

MasterEdi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm not an expert in women's boots, ugg or not uggs, but It does look like you could modify uggs to work... Here you all go, my pics.....you can thank me later:D
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

50. clembot

clembot Active Member