Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

not a *bad* option. the only problem is that you will need to link several together to get the right length, and we only see one seam in the screen used costume...down at the leg on the lop end. One *may* be able to strategically hide two more seams on the shoulders, since there needs to be gathering there anyway.

It's a possibility.

So... for my wrap I got three yards of cotton gauze and I am very happy with how it looks. I divided and tore the fabric into three strips and sewed them together, not knowing how much fabric I'd need (this was before we had figured out wrapping diagrams). When I ended up wrapping the thing correctly and got it adjusted, I ended up with the seam where it was in the one costume display (I think it was D23) where a seam was visible, the bottom of the loop by the knee. So if you can put two three yard strips together, you should be okay. (I'm not sure if mine turned out to be 6 yards long in total. I think I might have cut it shorter at the ends the first or second time I wore it.)

Also after wearing the costume a few times and seeing the movie more than a few times, I'm definitely sure that the shoulders of the wrap have the pleats tacked in place and they are somehow attached to the shoulders.

Redwillow - Oooo! That wrap dress fabric looks really good! I'd be super curious as to the fabric as well (as that and the pant fabric is driving me CRAZY!!).

In other news, I got 7 inches of my (seriously unhealthy) hair chopped off today. I was having the worst time getting tangled up in my long hair trying to do Rey's hairstyle. Hopefully it'll be easier now with the shorter hair. And if it's too short, well...my hair will probably have grown out to the right length by the time I get around to finishing my costume. :p
View attachment 573884

Nice cut. Looks great! I need to get mine cut, too. I was putting it off so I could do the Rey hair for the Chines. Let us know if that length works in her style.

Folks over on the Dented Helmet have the same issue with Boba Fett costumes. There are 10 different basic movie/preproduction versions and 5+ travelling display versions, so take your pick! And supposedly a new movie is 2016 so of course that will have more changes.

I really admire all the research everyone here is doing. My daughter and I haven't started yet but when we do I'll post pics.

Last edited:
This is confirmed, in my opinion. I heard back from my friend and she confirmed that most of the diplay pieces, have never been on set and were replicated with found objects. She did say that the PoZu boots are used across the board but because they're handled by different artists, the weathering will be slightly different to each piece. The goggles on display at Disney were made at Disney (as I'm sure is the case with many of the other exhibits) and have never been on set. Her understanding is that the actual hero costumes haven't ever left the studio other than to film on location, and she wasn't sure about the D23 and Celebration displays. I just had a friend see the exhibit in New York, and it's funny to sit and pick out the differences in the displays. :) I'll take her word on it and assume that armed with that knowledge, every display piece is going to be slightly different in the minute details. I still think the D23 and Celebration pieces are going to be the most accurate, because they were first out of the gate to promote the movie and probably have more items and alternate pieces than any others. Take this post with a grain of salt however, because she didn't actually touch the costumes or make any parts of them, but that is the unofficial information and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for that update. :thumbsup

Question for anyone who has 3D printed parts for the staff. What did your pieces weigh total? The place where I am thinking of printing thru does it by weight and so I am just wondering so I can have a rough estimate for cost before I get plans and print the parts.

Just a heads up: I have a Tandy leather about 45 minutes from my house.

I can't get down there until next week, but depending on price and availability, I can get leather for people if anyone is interested.

Alternatively, depending on how mine turn out, I'd might be willing to do a belt and/or bracer or two. I've done some leatherwork in the past. Not a lot and not in a while, but these pieces I could probably handle. Price dependent on what I pay, of course. Or I'd be willing to trade for other pieces of the costume (like a bag, for example).

Nothing set in stone yet, but just putting it out there.

Another thought for those who can't justify the PoZu price, cover a similarly shaped boot with fabric. I had part of an old army blanket around and used it to cover some thrift-store boots using hot glue, and contact cement for the EVA foam soles. Sure they aren't perfect, but at 6 bucks, I don't really care!

View attachment 573993View attachment 573994View attachment 573995

For the sole, I cut a sole-shaped piece of 1/2" EVA, with a slightly larger 1/4" layer on top (to give that slight overhang). Over that is a bit of cotton cord that I have yet to stain/paint. I need to pick up a better lacing for the back, but the green is just to show how it works.

View attachment 573997View attachment 573996

They still need painting and weathering, but here's how they look so far.

These are epic. I've got a few cosplay pieces that cost me next to nothing and look near perfect. That's always a great feeling. But I splurged (and still feel mighty guilty about that, by the way, as I'm an economy cosplayer all the way) on the Po-Zu boots, as working on these things of things isn't my forte.

Now I'm kicking myself some for my laziness, but I know I couldn't make anything so nice, and I could afford to do it right now, so I guess it's not too bad.

But I digress. Bottom line: NICE BOOTS!

- - - Updated - - -

Not off hand, but I will look for it. The fabric was cheap, only about $8 for enough to do the dress, it's thin semi sheer, cream color, and it has those fine wrinkles in it already. It only took about 90 seconds in a diluted dye bath to get the color.

Please, please, please let us know if you can.

I got a JoAnn gift card for the holiday... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Redwillow - Oooo! That wrap dress fabric looks really good! I'd be super curious as to the fabric as well (as that and the pant fabric is driving me CRAZY!!).

In other news, I got 7 inches of my (seriously unhealthy) hair chopped off today. I was having the worst time getting tangled up in my long hair trying to do Rey's hairstyle. Hopefully it'll be easier now with the shorter hair. And if it's too short, well...my hair will probably have grown out to the right length by the time I get around to finishing my costume. :p
View attachment 573884

Looks great!

Let me ask, and see if I can get any info before remaking them. A good friend works as a costume assistant for Star Wars at the Disney parks, and while she might not be able to tell me anything, she might be able to tell me something. :rolleyes

I also think these are very different from the screen pair. I don't think that mesh even exists on the original pair. Most of these types of replicas for display- not the traveling exhibitions-(and I'm fairly certain this info is correct) are not made from the same materials, fabric bolts, etc. If they can't source it from the same places, the fabrics were one-offs, or if it isn't cost effective to replicate, they'll usually do the exact same thing we're doing. Studying it and reproducing it. Only, they get paid for it and have access to much better resources. That info also comes from a Disney employee friend, so take it with a grain of salt because I can't verify the process.

I will ask her tonight and report back. :)

Hi. I've been working on this costume for my teenage daughter. My only other costume is a Stormtrooper armor, so "soft" costumes like this is a new thing for me. This forum has really helped me a lot!

We were down in Orlando last week and went to Hollywood Studios. I stumbled upon the Rey goggles displayed in the Star Wars Launch Bay exhibit. I spent several minutes with my nose pressed up against the glass. I too was surprised by the mesh backing material. It really looks different from the photos taken at other exhibits and stills from the movie. Although I don't remember specifically for these goggles, there were several other costumes and props displayed, that had placards stating that the item was a replica. So, I'm not sure whether to go with the mesh.

Here are photos that I took...

IMG_3398.JPGIMG_3397.JPGIMG_3396.JPG

Another thought for those who can't justify the PoZu price, cover a similarly shaped boot with fabric. I had part of an old army blanket around and used it to cover some thrift-store boots using hot glue, and contact cement for the EVA foam soles. Sure they aren't perfect, but at 6 bucks, I don't really care!

For the sole, I cut a sole-shaped piece of 1/2" EVA, with a slightly larger 1/4" layer on top (to give that slight overhang). Over that is a bit of cotton cord that I have yet to stain/paint. I need to pick up a better lacing for the back, but the green is just to show how it works.

For a Six Dollar budget those kick A@#! Well done!

Can I pay you to make a pair for me? Shoes are my ultimate weakness. I can't craft shoes to save my life :/

If anyone needs a staff, Midost here on TheRPF modeled this staff, and I sell prints of them, I have a post in the project run sub forum if anyone needs one!

Can I pay you to make a pair for me? Shoes are my ultimate weakness. I can't craft shoes to save my life :/

I wish I could! But I'm shoulder deep in vet school right now, and barely have time for my own costume :( I'm twiddling my thumbs until spring break rolls around, so I can hopefully finish!

For those ordering the bags from silvermans in the UK, guy has caught on and upped the prices by £7. Lucky i got mine before the increase but now all those styles bags have jumped in price.

I wish I could! But I'm shoulder deep in vet school right now, and barely have time for my own costume :( I'm twiddling my thumbs until spring break rolls around, so I can hopefully finish!

Vet School it would be quite literately up to your shoulder : P

I just finished seeing the movie again with my daughter. The material at the end is Tweed with a herringbone design. I will look for an example when i get home.

For those ordering the bags from silvermans in the UK, guy has caught on and upped the prices by £7. Lucky i got mine before the increase but now all those styles bags have jumped in price.

Argh, yeah, I noticed that. I actually sent them a message today asking if it would be possible to request one without text/markings on it. No response yet. Wondering if there's a good way to remove the markings if not...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back