RESEARCH: X-WING CONTROL STICK

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

lonepigeon

Sr Member
Wavey - That Y-wing cockpit shot you posted "RedLeadedit1c.jpg" is the ROTJ cockpit set.

There are two Exactra 20 calculator pads on the X-wing dash. They replaced all the numbers with little symbols - probably dry transfer rub-on decals.

The yellow squares are push button switches. They're used all over the place in ANH. They're the buttons on the side of the Merr Sonn blasters and the button on top of Leia's DDC Defender blaster (big square on the front sight). I think they're actually amber colored, but show more lemon yellowish on film.
I found a decent modern match, but they're still too short. The old black casing part is really tall. I'm stacking two to make it tall enough for my blasters.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Wavey

Wavey - That Y-wing cockpit shot you posted "RedLeadedit1c.jpg" is the ROTJ cockpit set..
Hi Chris, yea it's the ANH pit section in Jedi - well, 98% of it when you factor in the re-positioned greeblies and a loft load of dust. Somewhere, a butterfly flapped its wings ....At Elstree, all the greeblies fell off.

Which brings us back to wether or not the panel behind the stick for those few frames is the same or a mock-up and possibly filmed somewhere else, that would help localise a source for the stick prop. In this compilation pic of two frames, to pick out the lit areas, there's a thick red line along the top of the pic which seems unusual to me but red is hard to see against the grey in the black n white Jedi era photo. The thin metal tube behind the stick (on the right-side panel) looks to be the one found higher up and near the front of the left-side RotJ pit panel - I'm so confused lol. So here's some more pic noodlings.

Attachments

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yep, that's the only one. I've been hoping that more would turn up but so far none have.
Who’s to say that box above the hand isn’t another thing entirely? And it’s attached to a cockpit stick?

I can see the grips to a control stick, but I can’t see any aviation control stick with a ugly box on top of it like that

I no expert on this subject but have been following your videos closely and I think the box on top is just some more random aircraft junk on top of a stick

Wavey

I'm thinking the same Halliwax, I don't think it's a pilot's control (could be co-pilot's in a two seater but....). Imagine going up then realising you had not removed the safety pin lol, your only hope would be that your adversary laughed themselves into a nose dive.

On some older 1950's to 60's control sticks it's possible to remove the trigger as one complete unit which is just a box and trigger - search for
"AC 11232 stick Sea Hawk and Vampire T11" and approx the 6th pic should be a stick with the unit removed, similar thing for Meteor stcks.

That strobe flash is something like I was thinking, that grip is close in terms of usage.

Last edited:

Wavey

And another thing - I need to workout the exact size of them small connectors too. Here's a very rough estimate based on my D-grip measurements. They all look to have the same proportions so that would make them a 10mm diameter tube on a 12mm base ring.

Attachments

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Halliwax I've tossed that idea around, but I was hoping that it was all one piece. I guess maybe we should start thinking about what it could be not attached.

thd9791 Yeah I've seen a few things that look like they could match the ribbed texture of the grip. I'm trying to remember where, I think there where a couple camera grips that I've seen that fit.

Wavey Thanks for posting that photo, I think that confirms my suspicions about the silver tubes not having threading.

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Halliwax I've tossed that idea around, but I was hoping that it was all one piece. I guess maybe we should start thinking about what it could be not attached.

thd9791 Yeah I've seen a few things that look like they could match the ribbed texture of the grip. I'm trying to remember where, I think there where a couple camera grips that I've seen that fit.

Wavey Thanks for posting that photo, I think that confirms my suspicions about the silver tubes not having threading.
I only say this because a bunch of my fathers power tools (1960s table saw) have these boxes with the same exact pin setup

Remove the pins, remove the panel, fix the blown fuse

Stuff like that

When I see that photo that’s the first thing that comes to mind

xbadcardx

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As far as the joystick part goes, I keep seeing it as a cruder, chunkier version of this, minus the lever of course:

48724233392_0d4923f5c3_c.jpg

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like this camera theory too.

Halliwax, the tool, industrial thing seems to be a really good option - but most vintage electric tools I'm seeing include the trigger as the upper part of the handle/grip, instead of a separate section above the grip. Got any leads?

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I like this camera theory too.

Halliwax, the tool, industrial thing seems to be a really good option - but most vintage electric tools I'm seeing include the trigger as the upper part of the handle/grip, instead of a separate section above the grip. Got any leads?
Not really, If I do come up with something I’ll be sure to share it here

It just sucks that all we have is that 1 picture there’s not a single behind the scenes photo of this sucker?

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm still bummed about the light sensor lens. We know it's thicker than most of them out there, slightly curved and has 20 lenses. Every single one I've seen is a flat plate.

Wavey

There are two Exactra 20 calculator pads on the X-wing dash. They replaced all the numbers with little symbols - probably dry transfer rub-on decals.
Thanks Chris. Would it be right to then assume possibly 4 or more calculators in the X-Wing pit? One either side of the dash, one under the targetting computer and a made-up replica on the mock-up targetting control panel. I think this was a thread a long time ago, before I got on the RPF. The targetting control button panel must have been filmed at a different time too - pick-ups, etc.

I wonder if the Y-Wing stick is a removable grip for some type of launcher.

Attachments

Wavey

Yea, bit odd though that in one or two frames the underside buttons look like the long buttons on the Exactra. Getting closer to finding the right stuff I think!

OdiWan72

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks Chris. Would it be right to then assume possibly 4 or more calculators in the X-Wing pit? One either side of the dash, one under the targetting computer and a made-up replica on the mock-up targetting control panel. I think this was a thread a long time ago, before I got on the RPF. The targetting control button panel must have been filmed at a different time too - pick-ups, etc.

I wonder if the Y-Wing stick is a removable grip for some type of launcher.
I also see two Paterson Trident viewers as part of the cockpits dashboard!