Rebels Freddie Prinze Jr. Star Wars rant

I never understood why they gave Anakin a padawan in the Clone Wars and yet in ROTS they denied him the rank of master. That always annoyed me because it made no sense. I know the clone wars cartoon came out after ep.3 was released but still.

I never understood why they gave Anakin a padawan in the Clone Wars and yet in ROTS they denied him the rank of master. That always annoyed me because it made no sense. I know the clone wars cartoon came out after ep.3 was released but still.

Ha... all these years I never picked up on that!!

Ha... all these years I never picked up on that!!

The reasoning for this slight against Anakin was all covered in 4 issues of 2 different comic book series, an 18 second mention in Battlefront II, 6 different trading cards in 4 different series of trading cards, an action figure bio card, a blurb on the back of the 2005 “Star Wars” fruit snacks box, a hint on page 1 of the Darth Vader comic book included in the June, 1984 box of “C3-PO’s” cereal, and a special “Star Wars Edition” issue of Bazooka Joe Bubble Gum for ROTS.

So, the reasons for the slight were all common cannon knowledge; even though it was never covered in any of the films.

Last edited:
Your responses kill me ALLEY! :lol:

I don't know, I just assumed the rank of Master meant you could take on an apprentice. Plus Obi-Wan was referred to as master in AOTC by Anakin but he was only a Knight?

To me it's just another example of George misusing ranks in ways that don't make much sense. So what exactly does the rank of Master entail or mean then?

Like what difference would the rank mean if Anakin was allowed to train Ashoka?

Qui-Gon was a Master but he wasn't on the Council. So there are some that aren't in the Council.

I'm of the thought that words have meaning. Lol

I don't know, I just assumed the rank of Master meant you could take on an apprentice. Plus Obi-Wan was referred to as master in AOTC by Anakin but he was only a Knight?

To me it's just another example of George misusing ranks in ways that don't make much sense. So what exactly does the rank of Master entail or mean then?

Like what difference would the rank mean if Anakin was allowed to train Ashoka?

Qui-Gon was a Master but he wasn't on the Council. So there are some that aren't in the Council.

I'm of the thought that words have meaning. Lol
Eeeeeee-yup. The Kaminoans address Obi-Wan as "Master Jedi", the Younglings address Anakin as "Master Skywalker", and so on. It seems to be a replacement honorific for the more contemporary and illusion-busting "Mister" and give it more of an old-timey feel. Unfortunately, it is also a rank within the Order. Same problem George has with Group and Commander. Oy. And the thing that borked O'Brien's character over in Star Trek when Ron Moore couldn't distinguish between job "Transporter Chief" and rank "Chief Petty Officer".

I always felt there should have been far fewer actual Jedi Masters, and they wouldn't be at the temple on Coruscant, but at some training monestary elsewhere. And they'd all be older. Ravi Shankar's treacher once opined that it took four lifetimes to master the sitar. I would imagine somethign as ephemeral as the Force, to learn to manipulate effectively could take similar. In the OT, Obi-Wan only ever presented himself as a Jedi Knight, and referred to Anakin as the same. So that's what I go with. Veteran Knights, sure. But not Masters.

I always felt there should have been far fewer actual Jedi Masters, and they wouldn't be at the temple on Coruscant, but at some training monestary elsewhere. And they'd all be older. Ravi Shankar's treacher once opined that it took four lifetimes to master the sitar. I would imagine somethign as ephemeral as the Force, to learn to manipulate effectively could take similar. In the OT, Obi-Wan only ever presented himself as a Jedi Knight, and referred to Anakin as the same. So that's what I go with. Veteran Knights, sure. But not Masters.

Even a Jedi Master is still a Jedi Knight. I think when Obi-Wan said that he just was including him in the larger community rather than saying his rank within that community.

Even a Jedi Master is still a Jedi Knight. I think when Obi-Wan said that he just was including him in the larger community rather than saying his rank within that community.
I'd argue not... Yoda speaks of those in the order as just "Jedi" ("A Jedi must have the most serious commitment", etc,). When Yoda told Luke he needed no more training, Luke mused, "Then I am a Jedi". When Yoda was fading, he told Luke, "When gone I am, the last of the Jedi will you be." When he held back from killing his father, Luke said to the Emperor, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me". When Qui-Gon tried to mind-trick Watto, the latter rejoined with, "What, do you think you're some kinda of Jedi, waving your hand like that?"... *shrug*

I'd argue not... Yoda speaks of those in the order as just "Jedi" ("A Jedi must have the most serious commitment", etc,). When Yoda told Luke he needed no more training, Luke mused, "Then I am a Jedi". When Yoda was fading, he told Luke, "When gone I am, the last of the Jedi will you be." When he held back from killing his father, Luke said to the Emperor, "I am a Jedi, like my father before me". When Qui-Gon tried to mind-trick Watto, the latter rejoined with, "What, do you think you're some kinda of Jedi, waving your hand like that?"... *shrug*

So when old Ben says, "I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father." Do you think he's referring to rank? I feel like he's referring to the organization like you might say, Teutonic Knight, or Templar Knight.

So when old Ben says, "I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father." Do you think he's referring to rank?
I do, yes. I feel like it's more than a rank -- especially after Clone Wars. There are other branches of the Order Jedi go into than the roving peacekeepers. Archivists, Healers, whatever the botany-related branch (hah) is... I feel like it's a specific focus.

I do, yes. I feel like it's more than a rank -- especially after Clone Wars. There are other branches of the Order Jedi go into than the roving peacekeepers. Archivists, Healers, whatever the botany-related branch (hah) is... I feel like it's a specific focus.
I would say yes it is a rank pre Clone Wars for the reasons you list but organization after the Clone Wars as most of the Jedi were killed.Guess it depends on your point of view.

I see it as the honorific or generic.

Kind of like a large company. My 'boss', is THE boss, but he's 'a' boss.

Regardless of your rank, you are the master to those you are training and in the realm of jedi, even non jedi would view you as superior to themselves making a generic 'master' appropriate.

To me it seemed like a title for their profession/way of life. Much like someone in the Army is a soldier (sailor in the Navy) but holds a specific rank as well. (sergeant, major, etc) Or a law enforcement 'officer' holds their own rank.

Last edited:
I thought when accepted to the council you are then ranked “master” with there only being 1 “grand master” (yoda)

That’s why Anakin flips out when they accept him to the council but don’t grant him the title of master

I was under the impression obiwan was given the title master because of his success in the clone wars, and Anakin granted knight for the same reason

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back