Rebels Freddie Prinze Jr. Star Wars rant

I thought when accepted to the council you are then ranked “master” with there only being 1 “grand master” (yoda)

That’s why Anakin flips out when they accept him to the council but don’t grant him the title of master

I was under the impression obiwan was given the title master because of his success in the clone wars, and Anakin granted knight for the same reason

He wasn't granted the title because it wasn't their choice to put him on the council. It was at the chancellor's, uh, request.

He wasn't granted the title because it wasn't their choice to put him on the council. It was at the chancellor's, uh, request.

Yeah I understood that, I was saying I figured once you were accepted you were titled master

That’s why Anakin flipped, but his acceptance wasn’t a natural one, like you say

Pretty sure I remember reading Obi wan was ranked master after the clone war for his bravery in battle (he was knighted Jedi knight because he took down a Sith Lord, I remember that

In the end, the criteria for being an official 'master' was never established. if you have 12 guys on the council, and they are all masters, that does not mean that you have to be a master to be on the council.

In the films alone, the honorific and literal are both used which leads to confusion as the actual criteria. And since it was never established...it's an open debate. I'd wager the existing masters decide if you are worthy or not.

In the end, the criteria for being an official 'master' was never established. if you have 12 guys on the council, and they are all masters, that does not mean that you have to be a master to be on the council.

In the films alone, the honorific and literal are both used which leads to confusion as the actual criteria. And since it was never established...it's an open debate. I'd wager the existing masters decide if you are worthy or not.

I wonder if they have to have had trained at least one Padawan to knighthood?

with there only being 1 “grand master” (yoda)
Um, ah, yeah...Yoda?
Where's the melting stick?
tenor (4).gif

I always imagined the force based on the philosophy of the Empire Strikes Back. I imagined that there was no actual difference between the light and the dark side of the force, but the jedi were in balance. They didn't give in to emotions and passions. Dark side users were in my head overtaken by the force, they lost control and became more "primal".

Well, history proved me very wrong, but hey, that's how I imagined it as a child in the OT, and since those are still my fav films, I still like to imagine it in a similar way.
I wish the force was never really explained. But since I'm wrong anyways, I don't mind Freddy. I don't know why he had to be so arrogant and condescending, but what he's saying might be right.

What he's saying makes very little sense when you think about it. If the Force is a self perpetuating entity that feels the need to constantly negate itself by "zeroing out" then what is the point of an audience watching? I don't care if he got his intel from Filoni or George. It's still nonsense. The condescending attitude doesn't help either.

I always imagined the force based on the philosophy of the Empire Strikes Back. I imagined that there was no actual difference between the light and the dark side of the force, but the jedi were in balance. They didn't give in to emotions and passions. Dark side users were in my head overtaken by the force, they lost control and became more "primal".

That was when the force was based on Eastern religion and philosophy - Buddhism and Taoism.
I interpreted it pretty much the same as you: Jedi used the force for selfless reasons, Sith for selfish - the yin and yang.

I also read "Siddhartha" as a kid, though, and drew my own parallels between the force and the river Siddhartha meditated on.
I prefer the force as something that simply "is", as opposed to this modern interpretation where it's basically an interventionist god.

That was when the force was based on Eastern religion and philosophy - Buddhism and Taoism.
I interpreted it pretty much the same as you: Jedi used the force for selfless reasons, Sith for selfish - the yin and yang.

I also read "Siddhartha" as a kid, though, and drew my own parallels between the force and the river Siddhartha meditated on.
I prefer the force as something that simply "is", as opposed to this modern interpretation where it's basically an interventionist god.
You know now, it's only a matter of time before we actually see the force as a character speaking. Presumably with the voice of Morgan Freeman.

Well if what he said was true, there's no reason for anyone to do anything. There wouldn't be any Jedi or Sith because the Force just controls everything so there's no reason for Jedi, or anyone really, to do anything than sit and watch TV because the Force is just doing what it wants. If the Force wanted Palpatine to be Emperor, nothing the Rebels could have done would do any good because the Force would stop them. If Lucas or Filoni told him that, they've gone nuts.

Now, with all due respect to Freddie; while Star Wars might have been "made for children", as described by George Lucas himself, it's clear to me that his own movies grew beyond the scope of his initial target audience - just see how child friendly Star Wars is. Limbs being sliced off left and right. Decapitations. Death and genocide. Amoral cloning. War. I will always challenge the "it's made for kids" line so many people say nowadays as a convenient excuse for poor storytelling - what exactly is it about movies "meant for kids" that's supposed to keep people of all ages from enjoying them, together?
I understand that some people may disagree with me (and I respect their opinions), and I also really do understand that he may be frustrated, but attacking the fans will never turn out well, and the core of Freddie Prince Jr's argument about dismissing fans' valid concerns and criticisms with the Disney Sequel Trilogy as 'white males upset that Rey, a girl, was given the Millennium Falcon when they've fantasized about that themselves for years', to paraphrase, is little more than the dismissive and egotistical view that so many Lucasfilm employees seem all too eager to combat the fans with. There are serious, legitimate concerns and criticisms that fans of Star Wars have had over this trilogy (particularly The Last Jedi), and especially with the deeply flawed character of Rey.
(And, in my own humble opinion; there'll only ever be one genuine Jedi Knight that bravely fights against the Empire before loosing their sight in battle, abandoning the resistance and becoming a pathetic wastrel while reluctantly mentoring a headstrong youth in the ways of the Force, before finally regaining that lost spark of hope and supporting the Rebellion, with or without their eyes, as a true Jedi - and that's Rahm Kota.)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back