QMX Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica

Serenity

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Saw this pop up on the QMX Twitter feed today. Of course, I would still would prefer a full metal version but this is pretty affordable... Thoughts?

QMX Malcolm Reynolds Metal-Plated Pistol Replica

Cast off of movie stunt version, comes with display stand.
ETA: Q1-ish 2012 (Pre-ordering opens then; no timeline set for actual release.)
Price: $79.95

Last edited:
Well now, Radioman - this is just PLATED. Probably very lightly. And it looks to the very same replica they've been selling for TWICE the price.

Of course - it would have been better if it was the FIREFLY version, but that would mean they'd have to produce something NOT made of paper...

Also - and let me put this in my QMX TRANSLATOR...

"Sign up for our waiting list below. Preordering will start in Q1 2012."

TRANSLATE...TRANSLATE...

"Shipping Q4 2014"

Honestly though where are you going to get a fairly accurate Mal?

- Wilco's aren't accurate and I'm not sure if he produces them anymore
- Arsenal junk/RECASTER
- Phils cast, if you can find one
- Qmx Stunt, again if you can find one
- Sidkit..Pssh I've been trying for a long time :)
- Model 47, better luck hitting the lottery

So I'm not going to actually poo poo on this. Plus this is one step closer to a full metal Firefly version.

Wish I knew about this a few weeks earlier. I just spent alot of time and money buying replicas that just weren't right because I couldn't find a QMX.

Honestly though where are you going to get a fairly accurate Mal?

- Wilco's aren't accurate and I'm not sure if he produces them anymore
- Arsenal junk/RECASTER
- Phils cast, if you can find one
- Qmx Stunt, again if you can find one
- Sidkit..Pssh I've been trying for a long time :)
- Model 47, better luck hitting the lottery

So I'm not going to actually poo poo on this. Plus this is one step closer to a full metal Firefly version.

Yeah, wot he said.
Plus, for eighty bucks, I wouldn't feel bad taking a shot at hacking one up to create a pretty nice Firefly version.

I have a lot of sour grapes feelings about QMx/Firefly props in general/the Mal pistol in particular,
but I'm not going to say anything bad about a decent replica with an $80 price point.
That is about what I feel the Firefly/Serenity prop market will bear,
and that is a comment on the rather lukewarm state of Firefly/Serenity prop collecting,
not QMx's products/marketing/pricing.

My biggest problem is as it has been with all of QMx's latest Firefly/Serenity releases;
I already have it if it's a prop, and I don't need more paper rolled up in tubes stuck in a cedar chest.

Mike
My Firefly/Serenity Collection:
SerenityMovie.net :: View topic - Firefly/Serenity Weapons Collection

NICE!

Finally a metal.... er... looking Mal Gun

Hopefully this one will sell good and they will do the Firefly version

Aside from the metal plating and the price, what's the difference between this and the other stunt replica that's now sold out?

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with casting but why do they use polystone so much? The polystone QMX stuff I have feels way more brittle than resin and to me for a prop that will more than likely be used for costuming and hence is very apt to be dropped, this makes no sense.

Polystone was probly chosen due to its low part failure rate en mass, its cheap and it has added weight over plastic or "resin". Its a display piece and for the advertised $80, its not going to be beat. Just wished the inaccuracies were fixed for a change but as mentioned, for the price its not going to be beat.

I believe the reason the Firefly model isnt available is because it simply does not exist in physical form anymore. Both live fire pistols were modified, idealized and rebuilt for the film. The only way to offer a close representation of the Firefly model would be to reverse a first gen Phil casting. The shrinkage wouldnt be any more an issue as even the movie models QMX offers are castings of castings before they hit mass production. On top of that the front section of the movie version had to be heavily reshaped on the casting QMX was given. QMX was also given false information that the casting they were given was "screen used". It was a pull from the mold and as mentioned, reworked then painted. This is one of the reasons for inaccuracies.

QMX did have the chance to offer a full metal Mal Firefly pistol (a turn key production at that) but they chose to stick with seemingly dumping money into another makers unfruitful project. That existing metal Firefly Mal could have easily been modified into the movie version as well.

Polystone also has crisp detail. Unfortunately I feel if I dropped my QMX Phaser it would shatter into tiny pieces. For the price, however, I'm more than happy with it. I'll be getting one of these if and when they do release them.

Polystone was probly chosen due to its low part failure rate en mass, its cheap and it has added weight over plastic or "resin". Its a display piece and for the advertised $80, its not going to be beat. Just wished the inaccuracies were fixed for a change but as mentioned, for the price its not going to be beat.

It's true that the price can't be beat. At that price, you can afford two, one to display and one to costume with and drop :lol.

Thank you for the Heads up!

I have a QMX Version, but would love an all metal version.

Baldwind

The phaser was great. Best value on any replica offered by a company i.m.o. and if they can pull off the Serenity Mal the same way I'm happy.

I know nothing about polystone, so will these actually be suited for trooping and such?

From Google:
Polystone is a manufacturing medium used for cast sculptures, it is hard to find one that delivers a cleaner, more substantial representation of an original sculpture than a product manufactured in Polystone. Polystone has a significant weight, a porcelain like feel to the touch, and an incredible ability to capture the most minute detail, making it unsurpassed in collectible manufacturing materials.

Polystone is a compound made up largely of polyurethane resin mixed with powdered stone additives that give it added weight and the porcelain or "stone-like" feel that resulted in the materials name itself. Polystone is durable and highly effective at maintaining a sharp paint finish. Unlike porcelain which is fired in an oven, Polystone is a cold-cast material in which no heat is used in the manufacturing process, resulting in much greater variations of paint finish.

I imagine it is a little too brittle for costuming,
tho' maybe the polyurethane resin gives it some resiliency?

Mike

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back