Interest Pirates of the Carribean: New run of Aztec Gold Coins (24k gold plated metal coins)

Got feedback from my goldplater. He can plate them at the same price as the prvious run, so that's good news.

So price tag is set at €70 for one coin.

For shipping, I need to look into that, because Belgium Postal Service changed their rates. I think within Europe and the USA it will be about €17. Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and France will be less, other parts of the world will be about €23. Combined shipping is possible, off course (so 2 coins is only one time the shipping cost).

Only a few places left. Didn't expect to get so many people interested for a coin, to be honest. ;-).

As for the "aging" of the coin (brown wash), I'll post some detailed pictures of one, and then people can just let me know if they want that effect or not. Since I'll do this with an acrylic wash, I assume it can always be washed off again with water and soap (I'll test this too).

Almost out of coins. I'll also start a "back-up" list, since I guess there will be a few people dropping out when time is there to pay. ;-).

I’m in Tom. So looking forward to getting one since mine got lost from the last run
That's right. I remember. I'll put you first on the list mate, and I'll pick a really nice one for you. If this happens to get lost again, I'll send over one of my own. You'll defenitely will have one this time ;-).

Id be interested in 1 if there is still a spot.
Brett Banner got the last spot. But I'll making a back-up list because chances are big that whenever payment is due, some people drop out. I need some coins to test the aging, but I might give up some of these spots too after I tried the aging.

Brett Banner got the last spot. But I'll making a back-up list because chances are big that whenever payment is due, some people drop out. I need some coins to test the aging, but I might give up some of these spots too after I tried the aging.
Ok. Fair enough. Thanks and Ill be watching.

I would be interested in one, and since the regular list looks full I would like to be wait listed and would be willing to take a damaged one.

OK, update on this one... The coins arrived today. 12 "silver" ones, 12 "gold" ones. The silver ones are perfectly OK, but the gold ons started to have some kind of green patina on them. I think the "gold" finishing has some copper in it, that started oxidizing. Some are worse than others. This might affect the gold-plating, so I'll have to see if I can remove it somehow (tips are welcome ;-) ). Some pics:

Silver vs Gold:

20210415_110823.jpg

Front and back of two gold coins:

20210415_110842.jpg

So next steps:

1. Trying to remove the patina. I guess I'll be able to do so.
2. Drilling the holes so the coins can be hung to goldplate and this will also be the hole you can use to make it a necklace.
3. Sending them over to the goldplater.
4. Wait... ;-)

Point 3 will only be for beginning of next month, simply because I don't have the funds right now to pay for all the goldplating (will be about € 1.500). Since I don't want to ask for money to people before I have things in hand I can ship, I'll prefer to wait a bit and pay for the goldplating myself, rather than asking for deposits right now. I've seen enough runs were deposits were asked, and went the wrong way after that. So I want to avoid that at all costs. Only person I own something right now is ColdVizjerei for delivering the coins.

Anyway, this being said: don't worry, the run will happen! In the worst case with less coins if it turns out that the gold ones can not be plated, but I doubt this. If it turns out I can only have 12 coins plated, I'll give up my own spots off course, and the first 12 people on the list will get one. But I'm pretty cofident I'll be able to remove the patina some way or another and I can send over all coins for plating. One of them is in a Coca Cola bath as we speak. Se if this urban legend actually works. ;-)

So that's about it, people. No need to keep funds aside for these this month, since they will only ship for plating beginning of next month, and plating can take a while too.

oh man! did you ask the goldplater himself if he actually need you to remove that or if he is actually himself completely removing the current plating?
he might also have some input to clean that I guess.
good luck (y)

Interesting "turn of events" ;)

soaking the coins in cola got rid of the green patina. The coins came ou quite dark, though, as if the cola also affected the finishing.

So out of curiosity, I tried polishing one of the coins with brasso, and it came out quite nice, actually! It got a nice shine and could almost pass as a gold coin! See this picture of a coin that came out of the cola, and the one I polished:

20210416_092435.jpg

So now that I have seen this result, maybe there are some people interested in a "budget" coin? So not gold-plated with real 24k gold, but just polished to a gold-like shine? I'll post some more pictures soon of the polished one next to my real gold-plated one. What I can say already is that you will have the most detail on the coin with the polished one, since the gold-plating process takes a way a little bit of the details.

As for pricing, I'm thinking about half the price of a real gold-plated one. It takes me quite a while to polish one up with all the details and stuff (while the gold-plated ones will be sent of to the plater as is. Not going to polish those, since the brasso might interact with the plating process).

Anyway, let me know if you would be interested to swap your order to a "budget" coin! I only have 12 of these. The silver ones will not be "polishable" to a gold shine, off course. The list of interested people is not affected by this choice, off course. If you are on the list, you have the choice to get a gold-plated one or a budget one. That doesn't affect your place on the list.

So that's all for now, some pictures of gold-plated vs polished will follow soon.

And the comparison pics. Left gold-plated (obviously). Right just polished up. As you can see the plated one a more yellowish tone, but also lost a tiny bit of detail in the decoration (look at the animal skulls in the border, or the triple ball decoration along the border).

20210416_101501.jpg

20210416_101753.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back