Pirates of the Caribbean Talking Skull - UPDATED V2

That’s Downrightamazing. You should start a run with multiple variants. I feel there would be a lot of demand.

Just got this shot from the skull's new owner of how he framed it with a faux brick backing.
115943565_383125929322377_19257217150658135_n.jpg

There be squalls ahead!

I got a request for the version of the skull currently on the ride, and it's all starting to come together. Here's what the real one looks like these days, with Jack Sparrow bandana and beads:
POTCRideTalkingSkull2.jpg

I've got the skull and swords prepped. Working on the drapes and poles (masts? flag poles? curtain rods?) next.

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5644.JPG

Here there be pictures!

While I made the original version all from scratch, some of the components here are based on Jack Sparrow's costume accessories, so I decided to not reinvent the wheel and trust those who have already put a lot of time into figuring out those pieces. Credit to Indy Magnoli for the bandana. The beads were from Empire Worldwide and CapnJackSavvy on Ebay and Etsy.

As with the first version, the design ended up being more complicated than it looks. Getting those swords stacked on top of each other over the drapes is a tricky business! I have no idea how the drapes are arranged on the real one to look like that, so I settled for pretty close on mine. In studying pictures, I determined that the hammered metal finish on the swords is just a paint job over the original swords on the real prop, so I did the same, although I upgraded the sculpture of the blade a bit, based on better reference.

Modern Talking Pirate Skull-0062-Edit-2.jpg

Modern Talking Pirate Skull-0048-2.jpg

Modern Talking Pirate Skull-0051.jpg

Modern Talking Pirate Skull-0046.jpg

This looks absolutely gorgeous. Do you have any hints / tips on
a.) mounting the swords so they stay in the same crossed position
and
b.) mounting the swords to the rear plaque

I'm using wooden swords and thinking of using 2 dowels (through the rear sword and mounted into the rear of the front sword)

This looks absolutely gorgeous. Do you have any hints / tips on
a.) mounting the swords so they stay in the same crossed position
and
b.) mounting the swords to the rear plaque

I'm using wooden swords and thinking of using 2 dowels (through the rear sword and mounted into the rear of the front sword)
Thanks! I use screws that run through the plaque and into the back side of the swords. You could mount the swords together and then mount them to the plaque, or mount each one individually.

Here there be pictures!

While I made the original version all from scratch, some of the components here are based on Jack Sparrow's costume accessories, so I decided to not reinvent the wheel and trust those who have already put a lot of time into figuring out those pieces. Credit to Indy Magnoli for the bandana. The beads were from Empire Worldwide and CapnJackSavvy on Ebay and Etsy.

As with the first version, the design ended up being more complicated than it looks. Getting those swords stacked on top of each other over the drapes is a tricky business! I have no idea how the drapes are arranged on the real one to look like that, so I settled for pretty close on mine. In studying pictures, I determined that the hammered metal finish on the swords is just a paint job over the original swords on the real prop, so I did the same, although I upgraded the sculpture of the blade a bit, based on better reference.

View attachment 1342043

View attachment 1342044

View attachment 1342045

View attachment 1342046
You've inspired me to try making one of these! How much fabric did you end up using for each drapery? I need to know how much fabric to buy.

Thanks for the Indy Magnoli link, by the way; I bought 2 bandanas. One will replace the old, faded one that I have with my general Jack Sparrow collectibles. The other will be used for the skull.

I already have the Master Replicas version of Jack's piece of eight, but I'd like to get another one. The one that I have is part of my private collection, but I will gladly use it if I absolutely have to. As for the long kuchi bead dangle, I'm not impressed by any of the "replicas" online; they are all too inaccurate for my taste. They're all very nice, though.

So, I decided to model the whole dangle in 3D. The only parts that will not be 3D printed are the chain links connecting the dangles to the coin.

I already have a cardboard hat assembled and awaiting fabric, and the display mount is coming along. I found 3D printing files for the skull, swords, and pole caps from somebody else's build. I'm using the skull, because it looks really good, but I remodeled the end caps & swords, and I modeled the hat's skull & crossbones from scratch.

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing will be close to lifesize. I used the size of the piece of eight coin in my collection as a reference.

That's amazing. Glad you went with the original look.

I'm assuming that the Captain Jack Sparrow style bandana was part of the big refresh when they added the Jack Sparrow and Barbossa figures etc.

BTW for many years I've worked in New Orleans Square in Disneyland. Up until Club 33 took over the Royal Courtyard we had our storage under those stairs. We called that little storage the "Smurf Hut" and inside you could hear that pirate skull talking "keep a weather-eye out" etc.

Another aside is the accent we call a "pirate accent" is an English West Country accent and has no particular connexion with pirates. It was inadvertently popularised as a pirate accent by Robert Newton, who grew up in the West Country. It's just how he spoke.

Here's archaeologist Phil Harding, an authentic West Country accent

Last edited:
You've inspired me to try making one of these! How much fabric did you end up using for each drapery? I need to know how much fabric to buy.

Thanks for the Indy Magnoli link, by the way; I bought 2 bandanas. One will replace the old, faded one that I have with my general Jack Sparrow collectibles. The other will be used for the skull.

I already have the Master Replicas version of Jack's piece of eight, but I'd like to get another one. The one that I have is part of my private collection, but I will gladly use it if I absolutely have to. As for the long kuchi bead dangle, I'm not impressed by any of the "replicas" online; they are all too inaccurate for my taste. They're all very nice, though.

So, I decided to model the whole dangle in 3D. The only parts that will not be 3D printed are the chain links connecting the dangles to the coin.

I already have a cardboard hat assembled and awaiting fabric, and the display mount is coming along. I found 3D printing files for the skull, swords, and pole caps from somebody else's build. I'm using the skull, because it looks really good, but I remodeled the end caps & swords, and I modeled the hat's skull & crossbones from scratch.

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing will be close to lifesize. I used the size of the piece of eight coin in my collection as a reference.
I don't recall how much fabric it took, sorry. Send pictures of your build, or tag me if you start a thread. I'd like to see it!

I don't recall how much fabric it took, sorry. Send pictures of your build, or tag me if you start a thread. I'd like to see it!
I sure will. I started putting faux leather into the hat last night, and it's looking pretty good so far.

The display mount is finished, but it's not perfect. Being a stickler for perfection, this kinda annoys me, but it won't be seen, so I'm learning to cope.

The kuchi bead stand has been a challenge. I keep making improvements/changes, and some of the beads simply refuse to print. I should have the last parts ready, and then I can bring printing the skull & crossbones for the hat.

I've also been thinking of selling prints of the kuchi bead strand as kits for people to paint, customize, and assemble. My only stumbling blocks are the chain links, but I'm looking into making those by hand. I guess I could 3D print those, too, but I think they would be kind of a pain to paint and weather. Plus, they would be a bit delicate.

Oh, and I found another Master Replicas version of Jack's piece of eight beads on eBay.

Last edited:
kuchi-bead-strand_11.jpg
Here is my hat, made from thin corrugated cardboard. Not my medium of choice, but it works. The edge of the hat has stiff wire to help keep its shape.

kuchi-bead-strand.jpg
I designed, 3D printed, and painted the entire Kuchi coin dangle . . . even the chain links. It came out looking great!

I spent $40 on eBay for a Master Replica set of Jack Sparrow's piece of eight dangle. It was a great price considering others go for $90 and higher. While waiting for it to arrive from France, I decided to try modeling the dangle in Blender. It was just for fun; to see if I could do it. Well, now I'm $40 down the hole for something I'm not going to use. Instead, I now have a complete 3D model that I will be printing and painting from scratch.

Comparing the Master Replicas beads, with stills from the films, they are not completely accurate in bead size and color. So, I adjusted mine to be more consistent. I even noticed that the white bead is different in the first film vs the 2nd & 3rd films.

Attachments

• kuchi-bead-strand_11.jpg
    kuchi-bead-strand_11.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • kuchi-bead-strand.jpg
    kuchi-bead-strand.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 43

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back