Phalanx Close-In Weapon System 1/9 Scale

Really good modeling here TazMan. Love the weapon system and your project to replicate it is impressive.

I wondered If anyone in the navy has decorated one like R2D2... and they have...
View attachment 1447779

They actually were nicknamed R2D2, but perhaps not officially. I've never seen one dressed or painted up that way.

However, I was surprised to see these:

CIWS Snowman.jpg

CIWS Minnion.png

TazMan2000

So I used my new Anycubic Mono X to print this out. The resolution is not much better than a smaller printer (I used antialiasing at 2), but you can't complain about the build size. Since I have detail on the very bottom, I created an adhesion area in TinkerCad since I printed the object right off of the build plate, plus a standoff, since the initial curing layers cause a brim and obscure detail. Other than that no other supports were used.

It took a bit of work to get it off of the build plate...literally it stuck like glue (hence the chipping at the bottom trying to get a sharp blade in between), which is good...better than sticking to the FEP. Before cleaning it off, and scrubbing it with an old toothbrush, I thought I was going to have artifacts or squished layers but obviously not.

the build is 135mm high, with default settings on curing (2 seconds per layer!) and it took under 9 hours.
I'm debating whether to use some sort of epoxy coating to level out the striations and not obscure the rivet detail. I created the rivet details to be a little larger for that reason. Maybe it will only require careful sanding.

IMG_2660.jpg

TazMan2000

Any update on that wonderful build?;)

It's next to come back onto my workbench after I finish off the Moonbuggy. I had a problem with the side warning stripes where the paint blocking tape wicked some of the black paint in. So I had to strip everything and start over. My "honey do list" has a bit of priority, but I hope to get on getting the striping complete sometime next week. Then I'll have to design some 3d details on the Phalanx to make it complete.

TazMan2000

Thanks guys. I built a base for this. I've never served aboard a military ship so I'm not certain if there is anti-skid coating on the deck. I would assume so, since I'm sure the armourers loading the Phalanx would slide all over the place in rough seas.
I glued 200 grit sandpaper down around the base to simulate the effect. I still have a lot of details to glue on.
Sorry about the background.

IMG_1029.jpg

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back