Phalanx Close-In Weapon System 1/9 Scale

Finally I have started painting this. I printed out the ammo chutes using Anycubic resin, but noticed it was really translucent and was easily broken. I have some Elegoo resin on order which I've had better luck with. There is really no spray paint equivalent to modern HMCS colours, unless I mix. I wanted to complete this faster, so I just used Tamiya AS-2 Light Gray (Imperial Japanese Navy) which is a pretty close substitute.

The base will be painted flat black and I will slightly weather the white radome with a light wash to accentuate the detail if necessary. The M61 cannon needs a bit of work too. I have warning stickers and placards made as well.

IMG_1271.jpg

TazMan2000

I'm still struggling with the ammo belt as well as the rounds. The brass paints i have tried look too sparkly metallic, and not anything like brass.
So if anyone has any suggestions on a good brass paint available in my neck of the woods, I would appreciate it.

I have madea 20mm APDS (Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot) bullets for a polished 20mm casing, to display with the CIWS when I finally get it finished.

IMG_1333.jpg

TazMan2000

I'm still struggling with the ammo belt as well as the rounds. The brass paints i have tried look too sparkly metallic, and not anything like brass.
So if anyone has any suggestions on a good brass paint available in my neck of the woods, I would appreciate it.

I have madea 20mm APDS (Armour Piercing Discarding Sabot) bullets for a polished 20mm casing, to display with the CIWS when I finally get it finished.

View attachment 1605628

TazMan2000
I'm not sure if the finish is what you're looking for, but I stumbled across this post a while back, using nail polish powders for metallic finishes (if you haven't already seen it yourself):

I haven't used it yet myself, but it looks promising.

I posted this video I found in that thread:

I don't know what it looks like in real life, but it looks on par with pics I've seen of the Molotow paints. Supposedly it's very duarable as well.

screenshot_20220329-034421_duckduckgo-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the finish is what you're loolimg for, but I stumbled across this post a while back, using nail polish powders for metallic finishes (if you haven't already seen it yourself):

I haven't used it yet myself, but it looks promising.

I posted this video I found in that thread:

I don't know what it looks like in real life, but it looks on par with pics I've seen of the Molotow paints. Supposedly it's very duarable as well.

I have seen that, thanks. Brass casings are usually worn, especially in an ammo handling system like the Phalanx CIWS. The Phalanx is loaded with linked ammunition, which (I am almost certain) gets delinked and put onto a conveyor system. I worked on the CF-18 which had a similar M61, but still a significantly different ammunition conveyor system because of weight limitations. The less the weight of ancillary equipment the greater the combat load.
In both systems, the ammo brass goes through a lot of wear.
I managed to fine a brass/gold paint that more closely matches real brass, but it is still too bright. I'm afraid if I weather it more, that I'm going to change the look where I may not be able to repair it, in-situ.

TazMan2000

I have seen that, thanks. Brass casings are usually worn, especially in an ammo handling system like the Phalanx CIWS. The Phalanx is loaded with linked ammunition, which (I am almost certain) gets delinked and put onto a conveyor system. I worked on the CF-18 which had a similar M61, but still a significantly different ammunition conveyor system because of weight limitations. The less the weight of ancillary equipment the greater the combat load.
In both systems, the ammo brass goes through a lot of wear.
I managed to fine a brass/gold paint that more closely matches real brass, but it is still too bright. I'm afraid if I weather it more, that I'm going to change the look where I may not be able to repair it, in-situ.

TazMan2000
Cool, I wasn't sure how shiny you were looking for. I'm sure I don't have as much experience as others, but I've used the Rub 'n Buff wax-based products to get a duller metal look. You're probably familiar with those as well, though.

How did you plan on weathering the brass paint, if you use it? I know clear coats bring down the shine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back