Painting questions

jamstraz

I'm having a hard time finding what I need on YouTube. I have finally gotten the first build painted with its main color but there are some imperfections I would like to sand out. I have 2500 grit sand paper but is there a technique or something besides wet sanding and praying you don't screw up??

I would say a very light wet sand.
I've found that constant checking (rinsing off of part) will show if you've gone through the paint or not.
It happens really quickly.

in the future aquire varying grits of sandpaper. in this hobby you're going to have to accept the fact you're going to have to do A LOT of sanding. i see everyone trying to avoid it. can't.
it's the foundation of a satisfying finish. won't make you hate your work.

fear not. do. or do not.
go careful. go slow.
if you don't have a tack cloth use something else( i have used rags. i now use a mini shop vac. i've used moistened paper towels. sometimes moistened with alcohol, sometimes with plain water).
2500 is a very fine grit. you may find it not coarse enough. there's only one way to find out....

by the way, sanding dry will use up more paper because it clogs faster. change out the paper when it clogs.(people recommend wet sanding because the paper won't clog as fast or if at all). also there are times when the worn out paper becomes advantageous because it becomes a lighter grit.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, airbrush broke. Tip snapped off...needle is fine but tip just decided it was done. Tried to screw it back in with wrench but it just falls back out.

weird...but still if it's deemed junk anyhow, why not just glue the tip on while you wait for a someday other?
and to be exactly clear, what do you mean precisely by "tip" ? the brass cone-like tip on the very end that is press fit in or...?....threaded nozzle...? or....?
never mind, i see you typed "screw it back in"

here's a can of worms to open: what threads are gone? nozzle side? main body side? both?

you can force it to work if you have the mind to.

and dare i ask, how CLEAN is that part of the airbrush? (windex is not a strong enough solvent to clean out dried and cured crap from an airbrush).

Last edited:
aye. or the big rubber erasers used to unclog sanding belts and such but this guy is trying to avoid spending his whole stimulus check on this stuff for now.
chucking it all in the trashcan and buying a paint by numbers set or a 50,000 piece jigsaw puzzle is always an option lol....

weird...but still if it's deemed junk anyhow, why not just glue the tip on while you wait for a someday other?
and to be exactly clear, what do you mean precisely by "tip" ? the brass cone-like tip on the very end that is press fit in or...?....threaded nozzle...? or....?
never mind, i see you typed "screw it back in"

here's a can of worms to open: what threads are gone? nozzle side? main body side? both?

you can force it to work if you have the mind to.

and dare i ask, how CLEAN is that part of the airbrush? (windex is not a strong enough solvent to clean out dried and cured crap from an airbrush).
it was cleaned with airbrush cleaner after every use. The threads were fine but the part it screws into has a crack

i was talking about before you used it but never mind that for now.
by "the part it screws into" i take you mean the main body?

on second thought why not just go to harbor freight and buy a brand new cheapo airbrush. they probly less than 20 dollars and don't have cracks in it.
it'll get you out of the house for an hour. make sure you put on your space suit.

Last edited:
i was talking about before you used it but never mind that for now.
by "the part it screws into" i take you mean the main body?

on second thought why not just go to harbor freight and buy a brand new cheapo airbrush. they probly less than 20 dollars and don't have cracks in it.
it'll get you out of the house for an hour. make sure you put on your space suit.
The nozzle. It screws into a hole. The hole is broken. Technical terms elude me. And I was at my local harborfreight today. All they had was the high-power house paint spraying type.

already aquiring new airbrush then. outstanding.
getting a decent one already indicates you saw the benefits of airbrushing and will not soon be giving up. good.
now you can hold off on chucking it all and getting a paint by numbers set after all heh.

(MAIN BODY is a fairly untechnical technical term. come on ,now lol)

Last edited:
1587823927019.png

This isn't my exact airbrush obviously but this part (arrow is slightly off) in gold/brass is what cracked failing to hold 3 in place.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back